bonvo

well the dogleg is in :P here are some pics

heres the new shifter location

IMAG0023.jpg

no need to modify the crossmember in the 610 it bolts right up

IMAG0024.jpg

its just a wee bit short

IMAG0025.jpg

i plan on doing some work to the console peices and the shifter to make it look like its comming from the stock location the only thing left to do is lengthen the drive line (5 1/4 inches)put a good reverse light swich in it top off the oil and im on the road again

Like I had described, you can move that funky bracket on your floor board that holds up the front of your center console. Use 4 self-tapping sheet metal screws and a dab of silicone caulking for the floorboard when you reinstall the console. As for the issue with reconnecting your air ducts, use a section (4 inches or so) of bicycle inner tube and stretch it over both the air inlet on the dash and the flange on the back of the console. If you have A/C you'll notice a big difference in air flow as the old design would leak air around the edges and cause for your dash to get more cool air than you do.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if I may make a comment about your fan setup?

it seems you have the fan setup as a pusher. That fan was desiagned to draw air not push it so its probbaly not moving nearly as much air as it should. Also the fan shroud is now blockign air instead of collecting air. I would get a proper flexlite or something if I were you.

if I may make a comment about your fan setup?

it seems you have the fan setup as a pusher. That fan was desiagned to draw air not push it so its probbaly not moving nearly as much air as it should. Also the fan shroud is now blockign air instead of collecting air. I would get a proper flexlite or something if I were you.

im going to but what is nessisary for everyone here to understand this is not just a project it is also my daily driver it was more important to get it back on the road and it moves more then enough air to keep it cool it hits 110 here in the summer and i have never overheated but yes at some point when cash allows i will be switching to a different fan
the only problem i see with that bro is my ebrake wouldnt be usable anymore

Oops, I forget that your car is a '76, with the e-brake handle on the floor, not like my '73 with it's infamous umbrella handle ebrake mounted below the dashboard. I will see the car here in a few days, bring the center console, heck I'll bring my spare center console from the '73 and we'll just hack it and make it *look* stock :)

ok a poll of sorts i have a few things to to to my baby obviously but the question is this what to do next? i have noticed the motor is leaking oil from a few places so it looks like its time to reseal the whole motor 9this has never been done in its 32 years of existance) my exhaust is currentlu clamped together using adapters to hold in a universial cat ( not required federal car but wanted it to help pass smog) so the exhaust needs to be done then there is the suspention all the bushings in the front are in need of replacing and i need to get a new upper strut mount for the right side its turning to mush any ideas on what i should do next?

Guest jaimesix

How are you John.

Just got in this site. Good to see your 610 with the gear box in. I went for a ride with Brad ( buddy, he is painting my 610 ) and he has a dogleg coupled to a L18 with twin Dellortos....runs nice.:) Dogleg trannies are cool.

About your poll, man, you should had gotten the engine off at time of tranny change. I know how it is....we always realize it....when it is late!:eek:

Anyways, you can change all the engine gaskets with the engine on the car.But easier with engine out of the vehicle, much much easier and faster. With an engine stand, it is a breeze. Track auto even rents engine stands.

If you change the gaskets, remember to always torque bolts to specifications, that assures you a leak proof job.

About the strut upper mount getting mushy, what are you talking about? Is it loose?

About the suspension bushings, if not broken, I would leave it alone and would concentrate on fixing the oil leaks/gaskets and replacing all hoses. Make it safe and reliable.

A piece of advise, if this is your daily driver , try getting a cheap motorcycle, so you can work on your car with peace, dilligently and with out rushing. It is the only way. a second vehicle is a must.

Next time you go by a junk yard try looking for a set of 510 bumpers and bumper brackets. Those work on 610s. Ideally the 73 610 bumpers are the desired item, but meanwhile, 510s will do.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
Oops, I forget that your car is a '76, with the e-brake handle on the floor, not like my '73 with it's infamous umbrella handle ebrake mounted below the dashboard. I will see the car here in a few days, bring the center console, heck I'll bring my spare center console from the '73 and we'll just hack it and make it *look* stock :)

Hey William.

How are you dude. Can't wait to see that cool 4 door making some plastic wrong wheel driven cars eat dust!:D Make it 2...my 610 will come along!

Are you guys getting together? ( from your reply?) Let me know, I can show up in my 710.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

jaime good to see your on here man yea im thinking the motor is the next priority i have another vehicle its its down at the moment as well :eek: im thinking while i have the motor apart might as well do a rebuild i can get all the stuff from kreagan for $250 yours is still being painted? damn dude taking a long time lol but kick ass your on here this is a great place

Hey William.

How are you dude. Can't wait to see that cool 4 door making some plastic wrong wheel driven cars eat dust!:D Make it 2...my 610 will come along!

Are you guys getting together? ( from your reply?) Let me know, I can show up in my 710.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Bonvo and I got together in Sacramento, at my wife's uncle's place, this past weekend. When he comes down, we are definitely all getting together. I was up there picking up my new project: '53 GMC 1/2 ton truck. It's really for the wife, but I don't mind another vehicle, the truck just needs to take a number. My 610 is now the priority, but I will be working a little here and there on the truck.

Bonvo got my '73 center console to cover up the hole in the floor from his 5 speed upgrade and I traded him some cash for his coupe front center console. Not a bad trade, all in all, and he has a stock center console for his coupe. Ahh, the joy of keeping it all Datsun...

Bonvo and I got together in Sacramento, at my wife's uncle's place, this past weekend. When he comes down, we are definitely all getting together. I was up there picking up my new project: '53 GMC 1/2 ton truck. It's really for the wife, but I don't mind another vehicle, the truck just needs to take a number. My 610 is now the priority, but I will be working a little here and there on the truck.

Bonvo got my '73 center console to cover up the hole in the floor from his 5 speed upgrade and I traded him some cash for his coupe front center console. Not a bad trade, all in all, and he has a stock center console for his coupe. Ahh, the joy of keeping it all Datsun...

how did it fair on the trek back oh hell yeah all 3 of us the 610 musketeers or some crazy shit like that lol yup i already armoralled the console it looks brand new i had to re run my stereo wiring because i had it hiding behind the coupeconsole :P but thats no biggie now to bend the shifter and get a new boot and the cosmetics are done as far as the fan controler its on the raidiator there was a bracket on it and it was a perfect fit like it was made to live there :P

Guest jaimesix

Good to know you took care of the console issue. I know I never got you a pix of mine.....my car being at the shop has to do with that.

Your Datsun is coming out preety good.

Cool.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

ok here is another rim option my dad was doing axles and struts in a 97 nissan altima today and it had 15 in alloys what do you guys think i photoshoped them in...

Looks way better than what's on there now. :D

But I would hold out for something with a deeeep dish. You got them big ol' wheel swallowing fenders, put them to use. Leave the flat face wheels to the Honda crowd. ;)

Guest jaimesix

I like the Theories more. All those need is low profile tires. Actually it is your decision, if you like tham, go for it.

I agree with the deep dish set up. That is a luxury modern cars can not afford.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...

nothing new to report unfortunatly still working on bending the shifter (my propane torch wasent enough so i have to step up to asetaline) but i did another photoshop pic of it this is what i want to do with it if i can ever find the wheels

mybabyagterphotoshopcopy.jpg

• 1 month later...

ok progress report as you all probibly know by now my 610 was wreaked but i have mad som progress pulling out the radiator support (almost enough that you would never know it was hit) straightedned the little bit of damage on the fender and unrolled the hood then my dad scored me a freebe fan from work (long story) its quiet in both directions unlike the old one which sounded like a helocopter comming in for a landing i found a possible radiator on craigslist (from a 620) now i have a few questions and a general game plan my questions are this what is a good radiator swap for a 620? (i have about 5 inches left in the opening for the radiator so if i can get the biggest one i can for cheap i will) anyone have any headlight buckets and front turnsignals (compression i am in the prosess of getting back to you about yours) my gameplan is this im going to finish straigtening out the rad support and throw a radiator in it so i have somthing to drive then talk to my neabor about making a new valance (he bends sheetmetal for heating and ac ducts for a living) pound out the hood a little more and a thin layer of bondo to give it its lines back then as time passes replace the rad support and it will be as good as new im looking at about $400 to fix it completely i would rather have a straight hood but for now ill go with the bondo any sugestion or comments are welcome any other ideas please let me know lol

well here is some pics of the progress ive made on the radiator support keep in mind i have no actual body tools this is all done with tools i have around the house

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

rad4.jpg

rad5.jpg

rad6.jpg

im thinking the next step is to heat the thing up and make it bend to my will