1961 Datsun PLG222 pickup parts truck - $850 (Monterey, CA)

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/2522660136.html

Rare 1961 Datsun pickup, PLG 222, 1200, unfortunately too far gone to restore, but lots of good parts, great donor for that project that is missing the hard to find bits... It has all the gauges, knobs, handles, ect... Mostly complete, parked in 1988 when it need front wheel cylinders, all original drivetrain, all glass good, bed and tail gate in decent restorable condition, grill missing, front wheel parts are in the bed, it's been a rat home for the last 20+ years.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tempted to get this.... its definitely restorable. I'd get it running and leave it as is

I agree with Dirk! This is far from a basket case~ but my experience is as much a day job as it is a hobby and passion. Only you can ultimately balance the equation between personal resources and desired outcome. Yet there's not a member here (save the ones that want it for themselves) who wouldn't cheer you on in this project....

Choose wisely, grasshopper.... I mean Rocket Dog....

I agree with Dirk! This is far from a basket case~ but my experience is as much a day job as it is a hobby and passion. Only you can ultimately balance the equation between personal resources and desired outcome. Yet there's not a member here (save the ones that want it for themselves) who wouldn't cheer you on in this project....

Choose wisely, grasshopper.... I mean Rocket Dog....

Oh no....I have my two projects already. I'm a 521 guy.

metal working bodyman needed, can't have the cancer spreading around the filler in 5 years. I HATE to say it, that is Not a beautiful truck. The wheel and interior from what I saw is cool though. Put that in a sexy datsun body, and you have a trophy winning show stealing beauty IMHO. I'm soooo sorry I finally saw a datsun I didn't like the looks of, but i'm a brutally honest person, and i'm not gonna' blow smoke up anyones asses saying nice this and that and avoiding saying what I really think in total. i'm sure i'd have much more friends if I could, but I like the people that value the truth more than their feelings. I think anythings doable, but regretfully vote for part it out. I don't really care about any strangers opinion, but that look like somebody farted and it was a bad one every time someone looks at you in your vintage datsun would have to wear on your pride if you'd gone to the effort to restore it 100% Again, i'm sorry, I love datsuns, there's no questioning that, datsunlover has been my screen name and email since I discovered the internet, and that's because i've loved them since the 5th grade when I got my first ride in a 510, rallying on my country aunts property like freaking maniacks, covered in grass and mud. Beautiful, crazy functional, and obnoxious. I never felt so safe while I was so out of control, until I drove my 620 in the rain the first time...... long story, yes, it's in datsun stories, but my point is, i'm not just a mean guy hating on your datsun, just looking at a building block of what datsun became, and saying the body design came to greatness earlier and later, and adding historic ques to a slightly newer body style (like a 320 or my 521 although it would get waaaaay more noticed in a 620 imo) might bring back the highlights of the datsun era better.

metal working bodyman needed, can't have the cancer spreading around the filler in 5 years. I HATE to say it, that is Not a beautiful truck. The wheel and interior from what I saw is cool though. Put that in a sexy datsun body, and you have a trophy winning show stealing beauty IMHO. I'm soooo sorry I finally saw a datsun I didn't like the looks of, but i'm a brutally honest person, and i'm not gonna' blow smoke up anyones asses saying nice this and that and avoiding saying what I really think in total. i'm sure i'd have much more friends if I could, but I like the people that value the truth more than their feelings. I think anythings doable, but regretfully vote for part it out. I don't really care about any strangers opinion, but that look like somebody farted and it was a bad one every time someone looks at you in your vintage datsun would have to wear on your pride if you'd gone to the effort to restore it 100% Again, i'm sorry, I love datsuns, there's no questioning that, datsunlover has been my screen name and email since I discovered the internet, and that's because i've loved them since the 5th grade when I got my first ride in a 510, rallying on my country aunts property like freaking maniacks, covered in grass and mud. Beautiful, crazy functional, and obnoxious. I never felt so safe while I was so out of control, until I drove my 620 in the rain the first time...... long story, yes, it's in datsun stories, but my point is, i'm not just a mean guy hating on your datsun, just looking at a building block of what datsun became, and saying the body design came to greatness earlier and later, and adding historic ques to a slightly newer body style (like a 320 or my 521 although it would get waaaaay more noticed in a 620 imo) might bring back the highlights of the datsun era better.

I have no idea what you just said haha

It reminds me of the fj40 trucks. Or an older jeep willys

Would make a cool 4x4 conversion.

Not sure what you'd use for axles~ the skinniest 4x4's I know of are the M-series Jeeps, early CJ5's, and Samurais. The latter two of which are supplying axles for my 521 conversion~ which is noticeably wider than the 222's & 320's....

• 7 months later...

Anyone thinking that's remotely close to restorable has never disassembled a Datsun with that much rust.

There's nothing holding the doors on except gravity, and if the body is that rotted up top, the frame is gone.

If it was a Bugatti, yeah.

It ain't.

<sigh>

I paid that much for a running, driving, complete, NL320.

A vehicle that you can't find parts for is a liability, not an asset.

I'm all for people rescuing these, but oftentimes, the sellers are idiots. If that guy hasn't done anything with it for 10 years, and it's been left sitting in a field, he obviously doesn't value it. Ergo, $1800 is lol-worthy.

Whenever I go look at an old Datsun for sale, the seller's pitch is almost always the same: "You can restore this and sell it for $20K!' And my response is always, "Then do it." :)

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.