Coilover conversion

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ground Control make a kit for the Datsun B210.

This kit fits Datsun 1200 and B210 Honey Bee Front

Hmmm... Datsun 1200 (B110) and B210 are different diameter struts. Don't see how the kit can fit both. B110 is 45mm diameter strut tubes and B210 is 2.0 inch.

In any case, Datsun 210 (B3100 is also 2" -- same as most Datsuns & Nissans.

Which means you could get a set meant for a Sentra, and have more spring rate options...

good thinkin. that gives me some ideas for mine as well since i like being able to buy aftermarket parts for a more commonly found vehicle. Lowering springs anybody? only reason i dont want coilovers is that they are 200 a set and i dont have anybody to do welds for me.

good thinkin. that gives me some ideas for mine as well since i like being able to buy aftermarket parts for a more commonly found vehicle. Lowering springs anybody? only reason i dont want coilovers is that they are 200 a set and i dont have anybody to do welds for me.

Maybe I missed something...$200 for a set? I bought mine for $100, for just the fronts mind you, but they did the job. Welds? What are welds? I picked up some 6 inch long 2 inch ID steel pipe (3/16" wall thickness)and that is the "base" for the coilover sleeve to sit on. Use a light thin bead of caulk on the inside of the steel pipe to the strut to prevent rattles and you are on your way to a fully adjustable front suspension...

Gotcha. Ground Controls are nice, but you're paying for a name, really. Parts I would pay the asking price for are camber plates and quality bushings...coilovers are a dime a dozen anymore...Spend it where you want, but the coilovers are for the value in front height adjust-ability, and really nothing more. The welded collar is still not required for the coilovers you list. You wouldn't want to weld the 6160 aluminum to your steel strut tubes anyway...My method suggested will get you the same outcome.

how did you come up with that setup?

First off, I own a Datsun = cheap...

Second, I know people who say they can weld...and I know people who know how to weld. In either instance, I got to thinking about all of that weight on two small welded rings on your struts...not my idea of fun if a weld should break or give way over time. A 6 inch long piece of tubing sits right on the bottom of the strut tube base and allows the threaded collar to sit on it...easy.

i was also thinkin about that same thing. if the welds did come loose at some point you probably arent gonna be havin any fun for a while. and the base of the strut has been there for 30-40 years so it isnt goin anywhere. good thinkin. i'll be askin you next time i need to do anything that might need structural integrity.

• 1 year later...
Ground Control make a kit for the Datsun B210.

Hmmm... Datsun 1200 (B110) and B210 are different diameter struts. Don't see how the kit can fit both. B110 is 45mm diameter strut tubes and B210 is 2.0 inch.

In any case, Datsun 210 (B3100 is also 2" -- same as most Datsuns & Nissans.

I have a similar problem...ground control offers 280zx weld on coilover kits. I think they are the best option he can take since 280zx strut diameter in also 51mm (same as b310 strut diamerter). If i am wrong please do correct me as I too need to know which coilovers should i by for my b310 (stock struts)

They do not specifically produce ones that fit b210, the ones they produce are those that fit b110 and b210 (which as you said have diferent diameter). Too dodgy for my liking to be honest. On the other hand the 280zx ones (https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/s130/front-ground-control-weld-coilover-kit-datsun-280zx) are 2" diameter (same as b310s diameter...according to 1200 forum)

• 5 years later...

As you know the 210 does not have struts (a combined coil spring and shock absorber in one) in the back but rather their own coil springs with shock absorbers. If you were to remove the coil springs and add coils to the shock absorber you would also be transferring all the weight of the back of the car to the shock absorber mounts which are not designed for this. If your goal is to lower the rear of your car, you can do this by changing the coil spring that is on it I would think, and a lot easier.

Matt I'm saying the coil spring has a massive mount imprint on the axle tube and the floor above is re-enforced to support the vehicle weight. The shock mounts are just  barely anything in comparison. NOT saying you can't do this, I think 510 guys do it but what's the advantage of a very expensive adjustable coil over that you set once to get the height you want, and then it's just money tied up going along for the ride? Surely replacing the stock spring is both easier and cheaper.

Matt I'm saying the coil spring has a massive mount imprint on the axle tube and the floor above is re-enforced to support the vehicle weight. The shock mounts are just barely anything in comparison. NOT saying you can't do this, I think 510 guys do it but what's the advantage of a very expensive adjustable coil over that you set once to get the height you want, and then it's just money tied up going along for the ride? Surely replacing the stock spring is both easier and cheaper.

yes, I know. I wasn't referring to your comment