look at what I was offered

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If it has the OHV J13 then it has to be '69 or older. Check the build date on the door jam. J13s were used until June '69. July '69 is the beginning of the '70 model year and the beginning of the PL521 (L16).

I'll be taking OICs when I go pick them up. I am hoping atleast one of them is an L16 as they seem to be easier to find parts for, than the j13/j15.

I know where those trucks are :) muah ha ha.

just kidding. Free datsuns are too much work up in these parts.

too bad I'd see if you'd be able to check them out for me.

if the second truck don't have title then I see a trailer in the future..

• 3 weeks later...

The grilles on both the red one and black one are the same. The 3rd center bar is just bent on the black one. This style of grille is the most common. Even both of my 2 my 1971 521's had this grille.

On US-spec 521's they all had amber-only front marker lights. The white/amber ones may be a Japanese or Australian thing.

If it has the OHV J13 then it has to be '69 or older. Check the build date on the door jam. J13s were used until June '69. July '69 is the beginning of the '70 model year and the beginning of the PL521 (L16).

closeup.png

notice the front turn signals amber and clear

On US-spec 521's they all had amber-only front marker lights. The white/amber ones may be a Japanese or Australian thing.

black truck is an all original 1970 521 from what I was told and it has a j13 with white/amber front markers, the guy bought it in 1978 so I am thinking it might not have been a north american truck but maybe a south american truck since I saw another person post a 1970 521 with a j13 and white/amber front markers from south america.

I don't know what to think now, maybe Canada had white amber/front markers while the US got solid amber.

I doubt it's a South American truck, only because there's no reason to drag one from all the way down there, when we have a good supply here in North America. Might be south american lamps, that would be more plausible. Peoples memory tends to fade over time, and if he's had it since 1978, there's a *really* good chance they've been swapped out over time. Plus, those side mirrors aren't original (and they're mis-matched), the rear bumper isn't original, etc. So his idea of "original" is obviously incorrect.

Hmm, something else is odd here though.........The last year we got the J13 motor was 1969, in 1970 we had the L series. Common practice back then was to title a car for the year it was sold. So it could be a 1969 model, sold in 1970, and therefore titled as a 1970. ORRrrrr, maybe it is a south american truck, they got the J13 for years after we did. You should do some more digging to see what other minor discrepancies there are to help identify it. Ask the guy who/where he got it.

So have you taken this thing home yet, or what???

I doubt it's a South American truck, only because there's no reason to drag one from all the way down there, when we have a good supply here in North America. Might be south american lamps, that would be more plausible. Peoples memory tends to fade over time, and if he's had it since 1978, there's a *really* good chance they've been swapped out over time. Plus, those side mirrors aren't original (and they're mis-matched), the rear bumper isn't original, etc. So his idea of "original" is obviously incorrect.

Hmm, something else is odd here though.........The last year we got the J13 motor was 1969, in 1970 we had the L series. Common practice back then was to title a car for the year it was sold. So it could be a 1969 model, sold in 1970, and therefore titled as a 1970. ORRrrrr, maybe it is a south american truck, they got the J13 for years after we did. You should do some more digging to see what other minor discrepancies there are to help identify it. Ask the guy who/where he got it.

So have you taken this thing home yet, or what???

it is still in the kootneys. maybe it is how he bought it back in 78 except the mirrors which obviously since the black truck has the same mirror on passnger side as the big ford does on the driver side. it being a south american truck is a stretch I know, but it being a 69 sold in 70 so registered as a 70 521 is quite plausible.

I did read someplace that the front marker lights changed from white/amber to solid amber in 1969/1970 or 1970/1971 model years that info could be wrong though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes.. some serious cancer there. i think both might be parts trucks...

ya I know, the rockers on the black truck or the floor in the red truck dry.gif decisions decisions decisions.....which would be more worthwhile to repair :unsure: The L16 in the red truck does seem to pull me in that direction though as the engine swap has already been done just need to see how well it was done.

the red truck seems to have reasonably solid rockers and sheet metal it is just the floors that are bad and I have seen people replace the floorboards too.

link to the rest of the pics I have

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Kyng_2006/datto/521/

Make one good truck out of the two, I am thinking from the photos that the red one is going to be easier to fix, how is the black ones box, is it better than the red box? You need to clean both up for a reasonable evaluation and decide what can be used, you might have to face that both might be to far gone, you really need to get a good look at the frames before you get to deep.

sweet. as long as you are in the mindset that these are project trucks and not in denial and thinking you will just hop in and one will flash up your going to be ok. Rust repair looks like the name of the game forsure. I'd be interested to see what sort of patch panels are rivited into the rockers or box on the red one.

Make one good truck out of the two, I am thinking from the photos that the red one is going to be easier to fix, how is the black ones box, is it better than the red box? You need to clean both up for a reasonable evaluation and decide what can be used, you might have to face that both might be to far gone, you really need to get a good look at the frames before you get to deep.

thats the idea the box of the black truck is better but I think this pic shows that you do not want to step in it for fear of falling through

ArgentaSept2011224.jpg

the red box might have better floorboards in the box

ArgentaSept2011221.jpg

sweet. as long as you are in the mindset that these are project trucks and not in denial and thinking you will just hop in and one will flash up your going to be ok. Rust repair looks like the name of the game forsure. I'd be interested to see what sort of patch panels are rivited into the rockers or box on the red one.

well I was looking for a project truck