280zx struts

Are struts on all the FWD Maximas equivalent to 280ZX struts for swapping onto a 510? Wagons and sedans the same? Anything else of that era usable, like S110 200SX?

Where do you find the split collars? Auto parts? Home building supply? Industrial supply? I know I've seen this info before, but my search skills are as bad as my memory.

Spokane P&S has three 300ZXs. I got all excited thinking they would be way cool strut donors, but I got bogged down in researching that idea. It seems it can be done, but not as simple as using a 280ZX strut. But if I'm wrong, and 300ZX would work without huge extra work somehow, I'd like to know, just because P&S is awash with 300ZXs now, and no 280ZXs to be seen.

Len

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont touch FWD, that doesnt even make sense to use...

Front of a 510 is the same on all models.

Super rare to find in a JY but you can use 200sx S12 SE struts, they are the 5 lug ones...

Basically use 280zx front struts.

Geez, stooopid! My brain knew to type RWD, but my fingers decided to do FWD. I almost spelled out "rear wheel drive Maximas", but went with the abbreviation instead. You can see how well that worked.

So anyone want to give an answer on the question for REAR WHEEL DRIVE Maxima struts (hope I typed it right this time)?

Len

Should work, I think the maxima and 280zx used basically the same sub frame. Not sure about the brakes though, they might be different... Ask mike, I am sure he knows as I have seen him post about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Where is everyone/anyone getting their shaft collars from? I see plenty online, but who doesn't love instant gratification if it's available? If any chain or generic shops carry them I'd much rather pick them up.

Industrial fastener supply shops carry them, not sure what you've got in Atlanta but that's where to start looking.

It's online, not instant gratification but these guys have them

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/product/shaft-collars/_/Navigation?searchterm=steel+collar&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=&refine=~|categoryl3:%22603515%20Shaft%20Collars%22|~%20~|sattr01:^2%22$|~

• Like 1

little late but the narrower track width i think comes from the spindles and rotor set up there much thinner then the 510 stuff

The track width difference comes from the hub. You can switch to z31 300zx front hubs/rotors and get the track closer to stock. This mod will require you to fab up a bracket to run 4 pot Wilwoods too.

• 8 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong. But by using the zx top hat. That is also 1/2 inch less effecting the strut as well. So a 2 inch drop with a 510 top hat and a 2.5 drop with a zx top hat effect the strut same way!

More low less chance to blow it out!

Precisely why I posted that. The ZX top hat helps to keep the travel in the shock range.

• Like 1
Just out of curiosity, I dont have my zx struts yet but Id like to try to modify the zx top hat to fit my 710 spring. Is the problem that its just to big for the tower or is there something else you need to modify. I cant seem to find much information on this.

The "top hat" is really three pieces. Metal "cup" that sits on top of the spring, bearing that sits on it, and the upper isolator.

This combo: the cup that sits on the (710) spring from the 710, bearing from the 280ZX, isolator from the 280ZX. That should work on your car. You WILL need to trim down the edge of the isolator to fit inside the strut tower (as shown on page 3).

• Like 1

Is it possible to buy a pair of ZX cartridges and cut down my stock 510 tubes (and re-weld them) to fit?  I just bought the car and I am not ready to go changing the brakes out yet.  I just want to get it on the road and the struts that are on the car now are blown out.  Plus, everyone says the ZX brakes are bigger so I am not sure if they will fit under the 13x7 wheels that are currently on the car.

Is it possible to buy a pair of ZX cartridges and cut down my stock 510 tubes (and re-weld them) to fit?  I just bought the car and I am not ready to go changing the brakes out yet.  I just want to get it on the road and the struts that are on the car now are blown out.  Plus, everyone says the ZX brakes are bigger so I am not sure if they will fit under the 13x7 wheels that are currently on the car.

Yes. Or you can run spacers under the inserts. ZX brakes probably wont fit under your 13x7.

Yes. Or you can run spacers under the inserts. ZX brakes probably wont fit under your 13x7.

Yup.  :thumbup:

If you aren't going very low, you really don't even need to cut them. Just install a spacer under the cartridge to take up the slack.   B)

Thanks guys!  I am putting together an order from Rockauto and just added a pair of 280ZX KYB GR2s to the cart!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, Im in the progress of doing this right now. I took off the gland nut to expose the insert and oil inside the strut tube.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that this strut insert must not be sealed and it used the oil inside the strut tube as well to dampen..

So if I want to replace this factory oil, should I compress the strut insert and pour out all the oil of the strut tube then fill the strut insert and strut tube with 20W motorcyle oil?

Or do I just leave the strut insert how it is, and pour out the strut tube? And when I refill, how much?

Thanks!

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that this strut insert must not be sealed and it used the oil inside the strut tube as well to dampen..

Exactly. 

So if I want to replace this factory oil, should I compress the strut insert and pour out all the oil of the strut tube then fill the strut insert and strut tube with 20W motorcyle oil?

Yes. 

And when I refill, how much?

Best way is to measure the amount of oil that comes out, IF you didn't spill any, and IF the strut wasn't leaking.

Also 99% sure any good service manual will tell you exactly how much. You will probably need a graduated cylinder to measure it correctly and install the precise amount.

Alright, thanks for the info. I bought some "high mileage" atf today. Tomorrow I will give this a try.

Also, I've read around about a seal that goes around the gland nut. I didnt have one on either strut, just a metal washer that goes between the insert and the nut. Didnt seem to have any leaking issues.

I tried searching for proper filling techniques to bleed bubbles but there isnt too much info.