Mirageshepard's project w/pics

Here's my tired and leaky 86 nissan hardbody with the z24I

100_0005.jpg

The z24I in all its leaky and nasty glory.

100_0011.jpg

I wouldnt mind getting rid of everything in this corner except for the ignition coils :)

100_0012.jpg

This is the exhaust manifold on the z24I engine in the truck, notice it has 2 tubes going in the back of it, I want to get rid of those or atleast switch to the exhaust manifold from the z24s engine (couple pics down)

100_0016.jpg

This is the z24s out of the rusted 84 720, soon to be converted to a z24I by way of swapping intake and distributor from z24I engine.

100_0003.jpg

This is the exhaust manifold off the z24s, notice it has only 1 tube on it that go's around back of engine to EGR valve

100_0001.jpg

Its got a long way to go I know but I'm just trying to get it going and less of a PITA.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my tired and leaky 86 nissan hardbody with the z24I. The z24I in all its leaky and nasty glory.

100_0011.jpg

Looks better than any of the ones I've seen.

I wouldnt mind getting rid of everything in this corner except for the ignition coils :)

100_0012.jpg

That's the AIS that uses exhaust pulses to draw oxygenated air in above the catalytic converter to aid in burning off emissions. The Black round thing is the carbon cannister. It basically stores fuel vapors from the intake and gas tank that would normally escape from a warm motor. It recirculates them into the intake for burning on restart. You can remove both but only for looks or space as neither of these fave any effect on performance whatever.

This is the exhaust manifold on the z24I engine in the truck, notice it has 2 tubes going in the back of it, I want to get rid of those or atleast switch to the exhaust manifold from the z24s engine (couple pics down)

100_0016.jpg

Rather that swapping manifolds and risk breaking off the down pipe studs, just follow the return pipe to the manifold and remove it and plug the hole with a metric pipe plug (very clean and neat) or trim the pipe with about 2" left, squash flat with vice grips and curl over to seal it up.

This is the exhaust manifold off the z24s, notice it has only 1 tube on it that go's around back of engine to EGR valve

100_0001.jpg

This pipe can also be removed and plugged. The EGR deactivated by removing the vacuum hose from the TBI and plugging the end.

looks like you have a good little project on your hands

Thanks, this is the same truck that I was having issues with running, vacuum line issues and a few other issues. Thanks to all on this forum and another forum, I got those issues solved. I know there's a couple of people on this forum that I've pm'd over the while about this truck (datzenmike being 1) and I'm just thankful for their patients as well.

Looks better than any of the ones I've seen.

That's the AIS that uses exhaust pulses to draw oxygenated air in above the catalytic converter to aid in burning off emissions. The Black round thing is the carbon cannister. It basically stores fuel vapors from the intake and gas tank that would normally escape from a warm motor. It recirculates them into the intake for burning on restart. You can remove both but only for looks or space as neither of these fave any effect on performance whatever.

Rather that swapping manifolds and risk breaking off the down pipe studs, just follow the return pipe to the manifold and remove it and plug the hole with a metric pipe plug (very clean and neat) or trim the pipe with about 2" left, squash flat with vice grips and curl over to seal it up.

This pipe can also be removed and plugged. The EGR deactivated by removing the vacuum hose from the TBI and plugging the end.

I appreciate the feedback, I want this engine swap to be as neat and clean as possible even though its not going to be pretty. When everything go's back in I'm getting rid of everything I don't need so I can clean up under the hood, I was just worried about the engine running right due to me getting rid of all that stuff because the computer might be confused. After cleaning it a while ago, the top end looks decent. the bottom end on the other hand is soaked in thick oil and grease and power steering fluid due to the rear main seal leaking in this engine and my power steering box is shot....power steering still works but it has soaked the frame under it and even the bushing in the suspension right under it is soup.

I'd keep the carbon canister. If you remove it and don't plug the vent line from the fuel tank, your car will reak of gas fumes. If you do plug it, every time you open the gas cap, you risk catching a vapor blast in the face or vapor locking your fuel lines.

You can relocate them just about anywhere; but really if you paint the bracket and clean up the canister, they don't look half bad. It looks like you already have the smaller "beer can" style/size.

I'd keep the carbon canister. If you remove it and don't plug the vent line from the fuel tank, your car will reak of gas fumes. If you do plug it, every time you open the gas cap, you risk catching a vapor blast in the face or vapor locking your fuel lines.

You can relocate them just about anywhere; but really if you paint the bracket and clean up the canister, they don't look half bad. It looks like you already have the smaller "beer can" style/size.

I was keeping the evap canister....I think thats the same thing you're talking about, I just forgot that was in the pic above of what I wanted to eliminate. I have a few plans to hopefully clean up under that hood but we will see what happens.

Today I started removing everything off the engine that I could remove and lay to the side. I had the same issue with the exhaust manifold in the truck as I did on the exhaust manifold on the spare engine.....1 bolt snapped off and the other is stuck till I can apply more torque to it tomorrow.

Being I have to drill out either exhaust manifold, I'm going to use the z24s exhaust manifold being that 1 of the tubes are already deleted, I'm leaning torwards deleting the EGR tube as well but being my luck....just because everyone else said it would be ok, I delete it and engine never runs right again

:lol: . I'm still thinking about it. I quit early this afternoon till tomorrow due to a nerve not liking me laying on my back under the truck lol. I'll start again bright and early tomorrow. I so wish I had another pair of hands under the truck .....so I wouldnt have to crawl under there myself lol.

Make sure you keep the air injection filter and associated lines. That's the little round filter looking things. The function of that is to inject air into the exhaust to help light off the cat. If it doesn't have it, you'll notice the burn quality lessens and you'll fail emissions, should you have it. I'm not sure if it would burn up the cat without the extra air, but it sucks no horsepower so no reason to remove it really. Same with the charcoal canister. It gives nasty gases a chance to filter a bit before venting. It also doesn't suck any horsepower.

Make sure you keep the air injection filter and associated lines. That's the little round filter looking things. The function of that is to inject air into the exhaust to help light off the cat. If it doesn't have it, you'll notice the burn quality lessens and you'll fail emissions, should you have it. I'm not sure if it would burn up the cat without the extra air, but it sucks no horsepower so no reason to remove it really. Same with the charcoal canister. It gives nasty gases a chance to filter a bit before venting. It also doesn't suck any horsepower.

If I remember right, here in NC 95 and newer get scanned for all that emissions stuff....but older is not so much. What I dont understand is the exhaust manifold on the z24s engine only has 1 useable port on the manifold with a tube that runs to EGR but it also has a untapped boss below it that looks like it would be used as it is on my z24I exhaust manifold for the other tube that runs to the front of the truck off in the driver side corner. It looks like it should be opposite manifolds but I'm assuming the z24s manifold is maybe a aftermarket manifold or something. I just want to get rid of what I dont need just to unclutter the engine bay abit.

I did abit more work today before it rained, this huge space beside the engine is by way of removing the intake which was a PITA on its own to get off. I even removed the EGR stuff right then by cutting that tubes other end off the exhaust manifold and unbolting it off the intake.

100_0018.jpg

I seperated the exhaust manifold from the engine since it didnt want to disconnect from the downpipe.

100_0019.jpg

By

the time I was done with the past 2 obsticles I glanced over at the stuff in the

corner and smiled because most of that will be gone when I'm done

:thumbup:

100_0020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well finally the heat let up a little but the rain kept screwing with me even though we do need the rain, I was working on the final bits of getting the engine out and every few minutes I would have to stop, wrap up the hoist and go inside for about 20 minutes lol. it was to wet today for pics so I will get some up tomorrow...which is sunday.

When getting out the engine I kept trying to keep the shifter section on the bellhousing away from the exhaust, its the piece at the end of the rod that extends down from the coloumn shifter under the hood that sticks into the side of the tranny bellhousing......I think I broke it but its got a ball end as if it just pops back in or something.

I already ditched the A.I.V. system and EGR, I'm going to need wiring diagrams when everything go's back together so if anyone happens to have a full under hood wiring diagram for engine in a 1986.5 nissan hardbody 2wd NAP z24I with coloumn shift auto.....I would be greatful if you would post it.

I will be keeping same tranny, so as long as torque converter and flywheel keep original alligned holes during reassembly to spare engine.....is everything ok or is another strategy needed for reassembly??? I got to figure out how to torque down flywheel bolts, to crank and torque converter because I dont want to use anything wedged in the teeth of the flywheel do to the spare engine flywheel is looking rough so I'm going to use the flywheel off the engine coming out.

Another little something I noticed and I'm not sure what to make of it, I may not have looked at the right info yet but my tranny has a left and a right tranny mount... but has a flat mounting area on the bottom of the tailshaft for a tranny mount that I was expecting it to have in the beginning....but nothing in that location but slots on either side for a mount to bolt up. I want to use the single style mount because its easier to deal with when ever I have to change it plus the single style mount would be easier when the tranny go's back in.

I also noticed a green plug in the wiring harness torwards the bottom of the engine on the intake side that was just hanging and I could tell it hasnt been hooked up in a long time if ever at all because it was so gunked up with dirt and grease.

Tomorrow I'm soaking down the frame under the engine bay and down the under side of the cab with oven cleaner then wait 2 hours, then spray off and I hope to have a clean start for this truck for when everything go's back in!

As I said I will have pics tomorrow so show the progress and issues.

Tomorrow I'm soaking down the frame under the engine bay and down the under side of the cab with oven cleaner then wait 2 hours, then spray off and I hope to have a clean start for this truck for when everything go's back in!

As I said I will have pics tomorrow so show the progress and issues.

Be warned! Petroleun grease, oil and oven cleaner are hypergolic! [Terrorists please ignore] In plain English this means they will likely spontaneously ignite. I know some have gotten away with doing this but do you want to be the "lucky" one who proves that the inevitable will eventually happen? If you go ahead, be sure to have a fully charged foam fire extinguisher handy.

This is the old greasy and nasty rails and other stuff.

100_0022.jpg

here is the Tranny crossmember, notice the left tranny mount...the right tranny mount wasnt even bolted in, it was just bolted to the tranny but not to the cross member.

100_0024.jpg

Looky Looky!!!! this is the view into the engine side of the

cat...notice anything MISSING? :sneaky:

100_0030.jpg

This is what was with the catylist in the case, its 4 wire mesh rings with a larger scrunched up wire mesh sleeve

100_0029.jpg

Notice the 02 sensor holes, on the left is the exhaust manifold off of the z24S (carb) engine, the exhaust manifold on the right is off the z24I (EFI) engine. The 02 sensor hole in the z24s exhaust manifold is larger then the z24I 02 sensor hole.

100_0031.jpg

the 02 sensor on the right is off the z24s, the 02 sensor on the left is off the z24i....notice the size and the pointy dome on the z24s 02 sensor.

100_0025.jpg

I didnt get any pics of my boo-boo on the tranny shift linkage but I will soon though.

here's the pics of my boo-boo

this is the linkage on the left side of the tranny that I popped out or popped out and broke what ever it went into, I havent had time to actually study it yet but I hope to soon.

100_0032.jpg

a close up of where it attaches

100_0034.jpg

the opposite end

100_0035.jpg

another part of the linkage that is bolted to the frame rail

100_0033.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I dont have any new pics yet but engine is in and all the tough stuff is over.

what wasnt needed is deleted :) . I wish this was a big and bad power build but another stock z24I is calling my truck home.

Time and money has fell short so a power build may not happen for atleast another year. At the moment I may have a timing issue because I could not set the EFI dizzy in this engine like the other came out, its off by maybe a tooth or 2 at the most, the dizzy sits in beside the mark I made when I removed the other.

I KNOW I have injector issues they're either clogged up or froze from not being used the past month or 2 months while sitting in the back of my truck under a shelter. I'll work out the issues with that when I get time to play with it again.

I appreciate the help ya'll I really do. I wish I had more time and knowledge to be on the message board but I'm moving around alot and trying to help friends with their issues no matter if it's a vehicle or screaming kids...I help out lol.

I'm still searching the board and getting idea's for what to do with the old z24 that came out. I even have the Z24S intake so a carb mightl be used when I decide the time is right to tear into that engine.....hoping nothing is cracked as well.

I'll show up to look around on the forums and what not but I never know when I'll be or how long.

Thanks to all the Ratsun peeps!!!!!!!!