latemodel 510 Goon!

Found this in a local towing service yard, waiting on it to be released by the county so I can bid on it!

Manual trans too! don't know if its 4 or 5 speed, doors were locked.

Whatta yall think?

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=4065453026/PictureID=162868940026/a=2881080026_2881080026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty nice, the part that can be seen. Is the rest of the body as straight? Most likely a 4-speed not a 5, unless a 5 was swapped in. I think datzenmike recently posted that only the 2-dr coupes in the late 510 came with 5-speed. Can you get under the hood to check oil and make sure the engine isn't stuck? Seems there would be a reason it ended up at a towing yard, but of course could be something simple. Most people just barely know how to put gas in a car, so when anything at all goes wrong, it is hopeless for them.

Any clue what sort of minimum bid (if any) you have to do? I've heard up here in Spokane, Pull n Save bids at towing auctions. They are paying $270 for cars delivered to their yard, but don't know what they pay at auctions. It could be where you are, no one else will bid. Who would want an old dead Datsun (other than all Ratsun members)?

Len

It was impounded for illegal tag, I think,maybe other offenses, its never been registered in Oklahoma, where it was being driven.

so I guess it runs, will find out more soon.

Looks pretty nice, the part that can be seen. Is the rest of the body as straight? Most likely a 4-speed not a 5, unless a 5 was swapped in. I think datzenmike recently posted that only the 2-dr coupes in the late 510 came with 5-speed. Can you get under the hood to check oil and make sure the engine isn't stuck? Seems there would be a reason it ended up at a towing yard, but of course could be something simple. Most people just barely know how to put gas in a car, so when anything at all goes wrong, it is hopeless for them.

Any clue what sort of minimum bid (if any) you have to do? I've heard up here in Spokane, Pull n Save bids at towing auctions. They are paying $270 for cars delivered to their yard, but don't know what they pay at auctions. It could be where you are, no one else will bid. Who would want an old dead Datsun (other than all Ratsun members)?

Len

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It was impounded for illegal tag, I think,maybe other offenses, its never been registered in Oklahoma, where it was being driven.

so I guess it runs, will find out more soon.

update, I bought it, don,t have it home yet, maybe in a few days!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that this is a honda....

wagonrear.jpg

wagonfront.jpg

Decent interior, but I don't think these are the stock seats.

interior.jpg

We are guessing the odometer has rolled at least once.

cluster.jpg

and lastly, yes it has an engine!!!!

engine.jpg

She does have some rust issues, mainly in the passenger's side rocker, but other than that it is mainly surface/minor rust. Dogleg 5 speed, no exhaust and crappy wheels are what they are about though? right?

• 3 weeks later...

what did you have to pay for it. If your not sure on the mileage, look at the clutch and brake pedals, if the rubber pads are worn through then I'd say it's over 100,000, if not then under, also how does the driver side carpet look.

nice score dude :thumbup:

The 80-81s have 6-digit odometers (no tenths) so it takes a million miles to "roll". The angle of the photo is bad, you can't see the first digit. If it reads 079050 that'd be real mileage unless the odometer has been monkeyed with. The likelihood of it having over a million miles is fairly low.

81Wagon02.JPG

Not much better angle, but this is when I got my now long-deceased '81. Even at 263225 miles the pedals and such didn't show a whole lot of wear. The .020 overbore engine was a better clue, but I only knew that since the head was off.

Well then, it is 79K as the first digit is 0. Don't know the exact plans for it right now. It was sort of an impulse buy to save it from the scrappers. Rockers are pretty crunchy right now. If the rust is not bad, it will be saved. If the rust is bad, the engine and 5 speed may find its way into his 710 wagon. Oh yeah, forgot to add that he put 14x6 centerline look-alikes on it right now. They looked tiny on the 240Z they came off of. They look like monster truck tires on the wagon. I will get some pics on monday and update this thread.

That 5 speed dogleg won't be finding it's way into a 710.

Square headlights means it's a '79 or older.

'79 2 door hatchback had the 5 speed option in the US and Canada

'80 4 door hatchback, sedans and goons had the 5 speed option in the US only

'81 and on 4 door hatchback had the 5 speed option only in the US

The L20B motor was only used through '79 in the US and through '80 in Canada. After '79 the new Z20S motor was used. So if you look you'll see that you have a Z20 motor and that means that the transmission will not work properly on an L series.

So that must be an '80. :lol:

Dave by all means get it if you want. The dogleg is actually unique among doglegs. Yes it has the wrong bolt positioning for an L series but this transmission has a closer ratio than the others with a lower 1st and second gear and an L series front case can always be swapped on if you find one. This is a great looking goon with low mileage. The Z series motors were identical to the L20B but with a different head. I think they have a touch more bottom end torque from this design.

Well, if the rust is bad enough, the entire engine and transmission may be moved into the 710, not just the tranny. Right now, I think it is just the rockers that are bad. the rest of the car looks pretty decent given what it is.

Anyway, here is what it looks like with the pizza dish rims.... plus a sneak peak of my 85 GT Celica I just picked up...

1120111301.jpg

1120111302.jpg

you can see a bit more of the rust in the rockers in the second pic. I really think that dave should just get it tagged and drive it for a bit and see what happens. It does need some other stuff, like exhaust and brakes, but that is not a big deal.

• 3 years later...