fastdadd 79 kc 620

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the cost to fix was within a few bucks of having one made but i keep seeing people wanting to do this and there are a few that have but none on kc so i said screw it i am going to do it worst case is that i have to hunt down a nd rebuild a stock shaft but at least i and everyone else asking about it will know what will happen...i have been looking into this since i couldnt take the truck to blue lake last year

i had to clearance the fuel tank support which needed to be done anyways..i kept hearing this grinding noise after i put a spacer under the carrier bearing turns out that it was hitting the support

this is the shaft after i cut away some metal i took the springs off to let the frame sit on the axle...just does touch

sittingonframe.jpg

this is sitting at ride height

ridehieght.jpg

that will work great with the low rider, but with a truck being stock height, wouldn't a one peice driveline not clear the top of the carrier bearing support which also houses the ebrake connections. Seems like you would have to build a different crossmember so the drive line could go through it and move the ebrake connections elsewhere. thats what I'm trying to figure out.

A buddy had a truck he got where some one had used a bicycle innertube for the carrier bearing.

ah, i got it, you could a one peice drive line if you did irs on the back of the truck and kept the pumpkin level with the tranny. but thats so old skewl. 4 link is the way to go these days. some one will figure it out eventually. on my 74 project truck i'm changing locations of the ebrake so it will be in the center between the seats. since i'll have to rework the ebrake stuff anyway i may just be able to see what could be done about that.

well, good luck with the driveline.

• 1 month later...

finished the last side marker today

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0002-3.jpg

after removing traced hole onto paper and drew the wanted shape

PICT0003-2.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

then made the shape out of cardboard and traced shape onto a piece of metal

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

then cut the pieces out with tin snips

PICT0007-1.jpg

then ground to final shape on bench grinder

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

welded in place and ground down

PICT0010.jpg

first coating of mud

PICT0011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

well it has been a year since doing the one piece drive shaft...ended up putting degree shims to straighten out the pinon angle and have had no rubbing or any other problems

i put new ball joints in a few weeks ago now i am shredding the front tires but an alignment is going to wait till i replace the tie rods ends and drag link

i put a under bumper lip spoiler on this weekend..really cleans up the looks...batts are dead in camera so pics to come later

• 1 month later...

i am feeling the canby crunch.....there has always been a very little oil leak at the oil pump so when i was changing the oil this weekend i thought that i would try to tighten the bolt that was leaking when i find that is is striped and had gasket sealer holding it on..now it leaks oil alot...i tried to put a helicoil in but that just stripes the threads of the bolt and wont tighten...tomorrow i am going to take the helicoil out and jb weld and retap the hole to fit a new bolt....hope i get it fixed before canby