DIY Hitachi carb rebuild - Pic Heavy

Lugnutz

This is my first Ratsun post. I just popped over from NICOforum for a visit.

For reasons of my own, I decided to rebuild my Hitachi carb. Many Nissan owners choose to buy a Weber carb instead and I have never heard anyone having regrets about doing so.

I imagine if you are reading this, you are considering a rebuild. Also, studying this thread may help you understand and solve a carb problem that you are having.

Careful observers will notice that I could not and DID NOT rebuild a few smaller parts in the middle carb body. The reason I didn't is because, try as I might, I could not get the fittings open and feared making some permanent damage to the carb. All passages did prove to be clean with generous carb cleaner spray.

I sure hope this works . . . here goes.

CRT1000.jpg

CRT1010.jpg

CRT1020.jpg

CRT1030.jpg

The anti-dieseling solenoid is very hard to loosen once the carb is off the truck because you don't have good leverage. That is why getting it loose before actually removing the carb is probably a good idea. I found this out the hard way. To get to the solenoid, you must swing the accelerator pump lever arm up and out of the way. So let's do that first.

CRT1031.jpg

CRT1032.jpg

CRT1035.jpg

CRT1040.jpg

CRT1045.jpg

CRTBS1050.jpg

CRTBS1060.jpg

CRTBS1070.jpg

CRTBS1080.jpg

CRTBS1090.jpg

CRTBS1100.jpg

CRTBS1110.jpg

CRTBS1120.jpg

CRTBS1130.jpg

CRTBS1140.jpg

CRTBS1150.jpg

CRTBS1160.jpg

CRTBS1170.jpg

CRTBS1180.jpg

CRTBS1190.jpg

CRTBS1195.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first Ratsun post. I just popped over from NICOforum for a visit.

I've referenced your documentation and how to's over there many times already, can't thank you enough.

The internet would be a much more informative place if everyone documented their projects with this much detail and dedication.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Using your write-up, I rebuilt my carb last Saturday.  Here is a link to photos for those who have a Hitachi DHC-113.  THis is the stock carb on an '80 720 with an L20 motor and an automatic tranny.  Much of the info is still the same, but some of the parts are in different places.  Also, I noticed/expirienced that the spec for the float setting was bunk.  The truck did not run until I set the float lower.  The 3/8" measurement, recommended in the kit, was filling my float bowl all the way and flooding the truck.  After re-setting it, we were able to achieve something worth working on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33594589@N08/sets/72157644250173282/

All this aside, I plan on getting a Weber as soon as money provides.