Phlebmaster's 620 evolution

Well.....when I joined up here my truck was not running due to the carb being a piece of crap and graphite on the plugs:eek:.

For the most part my '73 620 was stock when I got it, with the exception of some new parts, distributor, coil, alternator, starter, wires/plugs/cap/rotor, fuel lines, heater core, coolant hoses, radiator, u-joints, center bearing on drive shaft, ball joints, all 4 wheel bearings, front end bushings, new drums, master cylinder, clutch, clutch master cylinder, battery wires, and some other stuff I am not sure about.

Here are pics of my truck stock:

stockwheelshightdcompwp1.th.jpg

stockwheelshightpcompdc0.th.jpg

frontstockhightcompgz4.th.jpg

6205pd2.th.jpg

You may remember my Home Depot Perfomance super induction air intake: :D

dcfn0093kh2.th.jpg

dcfn0094wy9.th.jpg

dcfn0096yw8.th.jpg

I finally got my head out of my behind and stopped "trying too hard" (thanks Bleach) So I went to work on trying to get it right how ever I could.

As you may remember my requests for a Weber carb, 15" wheels, tires, etc...

I traded a road bike for my Weber DGV 32/36 :eek:

pict0012qa7.th.jpg

pict0013oi6.th.jpg

pict0022sb1.th.jpg

pict0021ej5.th.jpg

pict0018rx8.th.jpg

I was given a set of nice 15" wheels by LeDevil:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/991/pict0012qa7.th.jpg[/img][/url]

15inchwheelsstockhightdym0.th.jpg

15inchwheelsstockhightdtr7.th.jpg

15inchwheelsstockhightpbj4.th.jpg

I got my tires from Craigslist..free :D (paid for mounting and balance 50.00)

I lowered the front end after I installed the new wheels:

15inchwheelslowereddcomru4.th.jpg

15inchwheelsloweredpcomlx9.th.jpg

frontloweredcompqe4.th.jpg

I now am aware of where those pesky rubber bumpers are on the front end and will trim them or take them off.:rolleyes:

I fixed up the interior:

interior2compsj5.th.jpg

interior1compnx5.th.jpg

I now will rebuild the Weber and I should be good for the Canby show...my daughter is excited about fixing up daddy's truck for a car show....she likes those kinda things, I must be doing something right.:D

I just want to let everyone know that I appreciate the help everyone gives here...whether it be knowlege, parts, vehicles..etc... and of course those smart remarks now and then that keep things light.:rolleyes:

I will post more pics as things change on my truck.

Aaron

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I rebuilt the Weber tonight and noticed a big throttle response improvement. Still having alittle trouble with backfiring???

I do have vacuum at idle to the vac advance hose...with the throttle closed all the way. :confused:

I will pull the carb again tomorrow the check the tanges on the throttle assy to make sure they are not holding the throttle plate open too much.

Thanks for your help today Mike.:D

Nice progress:)! Is there any way you can enlarge the pictures:D?

I am not quite sure how to make the pics bigger like I have seen some to be. You can click on the pic and it will open a new window with a larger pic...see if that works.

:D

• 1 month later...

I have made a few changes.

Starting with the weber....I got an assortment of jets from mnementh666 and a high rise adapter. :cool: Thanks man!!

Bored out the intake to match the adapter...BIG difference:thumbsup:

The Weber jets:

Idle was 45/40 changed to 60/55

Primary was 122 changed to 140

Secondary was 127 changed to 160 (might switch the 140/160 to 160/140 to see if there is a torque difference.)

Idle feels very strong and deliberate. Good vibrations if you know what I mean.

FYI........

I was having that horrible dead spot at mid throttle and my truck was sucking fuel like mad. Now, with the larger jets I get better gas mileage and no more dead throttle....or backfiring. So those who were posting the hesatation problem with the Weber, try rejetting after you make sure you have no vaccuum leaks.

and oh man...when my secondary opens up it throws you back!!:eek:

I'll keep you updated. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I have made some mods to my truck. I have some pics so I am going to share them.:D

This truck is becoming the truck that Ratsun built!!:D You guys are great!! Thanks very much.:cool:

YEP...There's even a naked babe on the hood..LOL:lol::lol:

a5kkrc.jpg

Ok...she's all chrome, but she is pretty.:cool:

I repainted my valve cover:

2gvk7z8.jpg

e839f5.jpg

23kahqt.jpg

290r5l3.jpg

I will be rebuilding the head and put in a larger cam from an L20 and increasing the intake valve size slightly. (Thanks Brian)

I put on a new tailgate. (Thanks Brandon)

2z6ef50.jpg

wcke2d.jpg

auy1p5.jpg

I also painted the grill.

dfk4n4.jpg

bjj09k.jpg

Painted the dash.

4sl8b6.jpg

I will let you know about the head job....that sounds bad, hehe.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It is inspirational to see you digging in there and rocking this puppy Aaron. I need to do the same!

I am about to put my weber in, great to learn about the jetting discoveries.

Where can I get those cool looking yellow headlights??:eek:

2a5fxjn.jpg

Are they painted or can you buy them that color?

I don't think they come as halogen (which is what the stock lights are on datsuns) I believe they are housings for when you upgrade to H1/H4. Cibie makes em but I think they've gone up in price a lot lately..

I think i'm going to self correct my self right now saying they don't come as halogen... I think there were some BMW/Mercedes that came with em... might be halogen and swapable to a Datsun... dunno think I remember some one saying they did it..

Honestly that yellow light is for looks and supposedly (from what i've heard) actually makes your high beam vision worse.. The yellow is usually only good for fog but you would never use your high beams in fog, therefore having yellow high beams = useless :rolleyes:

Honestly that yellow light is for looks and supposedly (from what i've heard) actually makes your high beam vision worse.. The yellow is usually only good for fog but you would never use your high beams in fog, therefore having yellow high beams = useless :rolleyes:

Good point....thanks.

I was more after the look, not the function...:lol:

Where can I get those cool looking yellow headlights??:eek:

2a5fxjn.jpg

Are they painted or can you buy them that color?

my lights are out of a Mercedes (junk yard score) if you have a stock wiring set up these lights WILL NOT work in your car becuz the housing is metal and creates some kind of weird ground and messes everything up in your elect system and as the other fellow said they are useless for site at nite im putting clear h4s in the center with a H.I.D conversion for brite lights :)