Rosie. A 66' PL411's story.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a spare round tail lens I found next to the spare tire.

Thanks for the info on the date! I'm a dork about that kind of stuff and the history of any car.

Light work amazing, every one of them. The my front right turn signal doesn't blink. Still haven't had alot of time to go through and see what's good and what's not.

I'm not a great body man hahaha. I've been getting better and better everytime, but this will be alot of firsts for me. I'm not going into it by myself, and as far as a full restoration that is still up in the air.

I took pictures of all of the rot and rust and posted it. But there is a suprising amount of clean car as well, so in the long term I don't think it will be that bad.

Uh, no, Mike, but re-reading my post, I can see why you maybe thought that. So there's no more confusion, talking to....

!!!! ZACK !!!!

2011-07-10202742_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

Those tail lights mean this is a pre-April 1966. Be careful of those lights. Totally NLA. I believe I have the last set of NOS ones in existence. Might know of one fixture available, but not sure if it's left or right. It's rates a 7 or 8 out of 10, and not cheap: around $200 IIRC.

Yeah, that toggle looks like a PO DIY. Definitely ain't stock. The telegraph looks like the voltage regulator, but it's mounted in the wrong location. Doesn't matter since you're going w/ the A-motor, which fits real nice. DougV (not on Ratsun) has a A12 or A14 in his PL410 wagon. I've got pics somewhere.

Damn, there's a lot of rust and body rot. You a good bodyman?

Not much to update. I've been hunting for front window seals, seems like I can get them on ebay atleast.

I don't want to start getting to balls deep into the project right off the bat because once I start I won't stop. So I've got a couple other things to take care of first (mainly buttering up the girl still) before I get started. Seems like the body is really straight, besides the little rust patches here and there. I think I'm probably going to just leave them, but polish up my engine bay real nice.

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm doing an A14 swap into this. So I've got my eyeballs peeled for one.

I'm not looking to make this goon hot at all. Just a daily.

It's the 720 that's getting overhauled, so I need a daily putt-putt somewhere.

Not much to update. I've been hunting for front window seals, seems like I can get them on ebay atleast.

The only other place where you'll find 410/411 folks is theEarlyDatsun Yahoo Group. Not many members, and not very active, but there's some good info to mine.

Key thing is that the moderator, Carl, has front windshield seals for sale. Quicker and cheaper than the Thai seller on evilBay. That's how I got my seal.

Thanks! I will check that out. I still have never actually bought anything off ebay, don't even have my paypal account finished up. But I know I will need to make an account soon enough for all the stuff I'm going to need.

The only other place where you'll find 410/411 folks is theEarlyDatsun Yahoo Group. Not many members, and not very active, but there's some good info to mine.

Key thing is that the moderator, Carl, has front windshield seals for sale. Quicker and cheaper than the Thai seller on evilBay. That's how I got my seal.

Ok ok time for a photo dump and update.

So I've been busy at work, got into alot of trouble for my "customer service attitude" in a fucking tattoo shop. So I had to take some time and push the reset button.

Came home from work on sunday, and dave popped up to my place.

I was supposed to have monday off, but somehow got put on the schedule, so I had to go to work and leave dave alone with my girlfriend and my car. Fucking scary right :blink:

Had to work the next day, came home for a break to a very happy dave in my driveway. Turns out we might be able to salvage the j13. He started ripping it apart and EVERY seal and gasket was corroded. Hence why there was so much smoke. We both, and Datdoug as well, had a sneaking suspicion that the engine might not have been that bad. She drove fine, just poured smoke out, and didn't hold oil.

So we ordered some gaskets, and are awaiting there arrival.

Heater core was bad, which wasn't too surprising. Dave has that with him to go to Performance Radiators when he gets a chance.

And he put down a floorpanel that is good enough for the girls I date while he was at it.

Which doesn't leave me much to do!

Any you bloodthirsty packhounds...heres some OICs

2011-07-19103045.jpg

2011-07-19103027.jpg

2011-07-19103442_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-19103411_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-19103233_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-19103158_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-19103144_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-19103101_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

We run inside and buy oil. Burns oil? Try doesn't hold oil.

2011-07-09080157_PortTownsend_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-09080213_PortTownsend_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-09080227_PortTownsend_Washington_US.jpg

So in our better judgement, seeing how much oil is spurting from every nook and cranny of the engine, we parked her in the safeway lot for the night.

Where do I stand now?

At work, waiting for someone to call me about a flatbed trailer to get her towed the rest of the hour to my house.

Those are all the pictures that got taken, so hold your horses. There will be millions more when I get her to my house and start tearing in.

dang! i thought my oil leak was bad. Awesome find!

Haha yeah well if it were my girlfriends car it wouldn't be mine :)

I like the gold mesh rims. I've seen them on a few red wagons and they look really good.

I guess I'm debating on sizes, and in the long run how low she might sit when she is done.

Ok So...

Spent the last couple days Really Tryin to get her back to life. Did the head, intake/exhaust, valve cover gaskets and a valve adjustment, plus spark plugs other little whatnots...

What a Pain in the Ass! Had to adjust it multiple times. I had found all kinds of different numbers from .002 to .014 to adjust it to. Ended up "running" best at .011-ish :unsure: The final compression test was all over the board from 100 to 25 :blink: But it "ran-ish" Still smokes like a pig and has no power, she is Done Son!!!

But here is the decision to be made...

Should we rebuild the j-15, or do an A-14 swap????

What do you guys think?

Not sure how hard/expensive its gonna be to get the rebuild kit for it, maby you guys could help us out with some info?

The Block says: J15-770152

The Head Says: P X

Have a rough idea what an A swap will cost, and know whats involved in rebuilding an engine... Just need parts prices!

The search Begins...

j engines have complete gasket kits on ebay for around 80-100. i bought a set because i have a j15 and it is a pretty good kit. there are cheeper kits but i didnt want to ship from out of state.

dont know what engine option you should do though.

good luck. :)

Ok this post is really just a photo dump.

We took off the intake/exhaust manifold and changed the gasket, then while I was at work Dave changed out the head gasket. This stopped most of the oil leaking, but here are some pictures of how it went down.

So it there was alot of burned on gasket. I mean allloot. They PO had been running the engine while cooking oil and seals for awhile, and it took a couple scraper knifes and a razor blade to get all the crust off.

2011-07-26140318.jpg

After scraping off the head we got a gasket set on there

2011-07-26140831.jpg

2011-07-26140940_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

Ok so we didn't think to put in the little metal rings that go into the manifold. We had to pull her back off and put them on. While we were at it we had a discussion as to what the hell they are for? Some old school way of keeping the metals from oxodizing on each other? Either way it wasn't that hard to pull the manifold off a little and slip them in. That's what she said.

Hmm...did she still smoke afterwards?

2011-07-26145640_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

2011-07-26145427_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

Still the coolest fucking car ever