Rosie. A 66' PL411's story.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK couple questions for you guys.

1. What is that toggle switch all the way to the left by my ignition?

2. What is that thing in my engine compartment, passenger side on the back of the bay, that looks like some sort of telegraph sending thingy?

• Like 1

Haha that's a very ratsun answer. "I don't know, figure it out!"

1. you never seen a DIY switch? lol thats something a PO did there...

2. thats relay for somethin.. where do the wires coming and going from it go and come from? wrap you head around that! lol

• Like 1

I can't tell from looking either haha.

I've got one of those engine work lights that detaches. Could be a switch for that me thinks.

I work 11 hour shifts so when I want to see something it sucks to have to wait so long to check it out.

I'm sure some 411 guys will correct me soon enough.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and it looks like the transmission has been rebuilt recently. Looks clean as hell, and shifts great. I'm going to most likely be doing an A14 swap, so the engine and tranny might be up for grabs. Looks like a newer water pump as well. I haven't had the time to start tearing into the engine to see what's good. It spits alot of oil and burns even more, so I don't think the engine is too good, though she drives.

• Like 1

It looks like the voltage regulator is the square box that the rubber strap almost touches towards the back of battery..Although if this was really used as a Starfleet training vessel it could be backup transmitter.tongue.gif

Maybe try licking on it..

• Like 2

Since the previous owner drilled the under dash "console" for a headset, I am guessing that the switch might be to redirect the radio sound from speakers to the headset?

Waiting for my dialup service to download pix of the "telegraph key". Location sounds like the spot my automatic transmission starter interlock is located but PL411s didn't come with automatics unless your wagon underwent a mid life change at some point. I will chime in when and if I get to see the "thing".

You have a good starter vehicle there!

• Like 1

Right. Awesome, that makes sense then.

This is a whole new beast to me, but luckily it's all pretty common sense stuff.

Wish they made things this common sense still!

Got the download. The "thingy" on the firewall is what's left of your original electro-mechanical voltage regulator without it's cover. Get a solid state one.

• Like 1

Sweet looking ride you found there! Going to do an A14 swap? I think Datsunrides still has the he is selling, complete motor with 5spd, you might wanna hit him up. Keep us updated and moar OICs! :cool:

I'm always excitable=I never shut up. I've got too many old guy jokes to pick one out for you right now.

I'm going to have alot of fun though! I'm really in love with this thing.

Super cool car Zach! :cool: I can tell by your excitment(didnt shut-up the whole ride up there & back :blink: ) that your going to have fun with this one.

No pics of the rear. Are the tail light lenses round+rectangle or just a single rectangle?

assuming you mean my car...

Uh, no, Mike, but re-reading my post, I can see why you maybe thought that. So there's no more confusion, talking to....

!!!! ZACK !!!!

2011-07-10202742_Bremerton_Washington_US.jpg

Those tail lights mean this is a pre-April 1966. Be careful of those lights. Totally NLA. I believe I have the last set of NOS ones in existence. Might know of one fixture available, but not sure if it's left or right. It's rates a 7 or 8 out of 10, and not cheap: around $200 IIRC.

Yeah, that toggle looks like a PO DIY. Definitely ain't stock. The telegraph looks like the voltage regulator, but it's mounted in the wrong location. Doesn't matter since you're going w/ the A-motor, which fits real nice. DougV (not on Ratsun) has a A12 or A14 in his PL410 wagon. I've got pics somewhere.

Damn, there's a lot of rust and body rot. You a good bodyman?