RallyRat 510

Got me a motor for this thing. Was talking to a guy at a car show last weekend and said that he had an SR20det that he wanted to get rid of. Had it shipped from Japan 8 years ago and never put it in anything. Didn't expect a GTiR motor, but it's pretty cool. Wasn't planning on running anything other than an L motor in the 510, but it was too good a deal to pass up even with missing a tranny and ecu. He's even throwing in a top mount turbo manifold and bigger turbo. That's it for now. Have a good 4th, go blow shit up!

20160703_1421331_zpsrlpilok6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this car even running with a L motor yet?????????? 

No...  :(

GTIR means FWD layout. i know it's been done before, but you sure it's worth it to convert to RWD?

It had the AWD tranny and I believe the rwd should work just fine. I did just get a KAde as well for my 620. Maybe I use the ka for this car and do my crazy idea with a fwd sr in my truck...  :hmm: Or I just say fuck it, not end up getting it and just use the money to put into the truck, which I should anyway...decisions decisions

GTIR Pulsars used a an awd system like a Mitsubishi evo/eclipse. It's a fwd longitudinal layout. FWD can be made to work, but it's much more than just what trans to use. I'm not telling you not to do it or anything, just want to be sure you've an idea of what it might take.

This is from another thread on here.

FWD MOTORS

Can you put an SR20DE from a FWD car in your RWD Datsun? YES, it's been done.

But it is much more work to start with a FWD motor, and you can buy complete good tested RWD SR20s with 5-speed and all wiring/computer/sensors/accessories for under $2000. Everywhere in the USA they are shipped, so there is no need to have to resort to junkyard FWD motors. You will still need a SR RWD transmission, flywheel, and clutch.

But let's say grandma gives you her old Sentra SE and the SR20 is there for the taking. What does it take to use in a RWD Datsun?

North-south SRs typically have:

* valve cover breather pointing straight back

* distributor on the back of the head

* throttle body facing back

* center exhaust outlet

* different engine mounts

* different transmission bolt pattern

* different flywheel & clutch

* different starters & ring gear

FWD Nissan Sentra SR20DE

250px-Nissan_SR20DET_U13.jpg

* Valve cover: Swap it with RWD version possibly, OR drill and move the breather fittings.

* Distributor on FWD is on the back of the head, so it won't fit in an RWD engine bay. Solution: Convert to crank trigger ignition. Or cut a hole in the firewall as some racers do. Or swap the head for a RWD head.

* Intake manifold & throttle body. FWD SRs (and Nissan Van/Vanette) have rear-facing manifolds so they will hit the firewall. Solution: Swap manifold and throttle body.

* Engine mounts: Most of the motor mount bolt holes on the RWD are present on the FWD block. AWD block are different yet again.

* Flywheel/clutch. Get one from a RWD import motor

* Starter FWD starter bolts through the block and transmission, the RWD starter bolts to the transmission. Solution: cut the starter mount pad out of the FWD block, weld a tab for the 2nd bolt

* Transmission: Get a SR RWD gearbox. Most of the Bell-pattern bolts line up. The bolt spacing for the top two bolts is 150mm (6") on FWD and 200mm (8") on RWD

* oil pan: Depending on the car you are fitting in in, the FWD pan might work. If you need a front sump, fit the RWD upper oil pan

Note that SR20DET imports have no distributor, instead they use coil packs. Still, an import FWD SR20DET might use a small "distributor" (really just a CAS sensor) on the back of the head.

Starter mod for FWD motor in RWD car

th_sr20rwdtransfwdblockmod.jpg

Alternatively, with Silvia gearbox and the SR20VE (FWD), take RWD flywheel, machine the lip away between block and ring gear, and use the FWD starter. Then get a SR20DE Pressure Plate fitted to the RWD flywheel.

Note about head swaps: Some RWD block/head has extra oil hole where FWD block/head does not. Proceed with caution.

And then you still have to swap the motor into the car. If you started with a RWD SR, the work above is not needed.

• Like 1

Sell that motor, too much hassle to make it fit, nice strong bottom end in comparison to a rwd SR20DET, better motor overall really, except for the east west layout.

My advice would be to focus on getting the car driveable as it is, brake overhaul, suspension freshen up, rust repairs and go from there. If you drop an SR into it before anything else, usually something like that is when a project gets put on the backburner.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya deal with the things that actually matter first, get an alignment, brakes sorted, check suspension bushings, then just find a running L series on craigslist that someone has taken out recently, throw it in and then build the SR20det, on a stand in you're garage, once you have sourceed of all the parts, figured out you're intercooler setup and made sure you have all the necessary parts, engine mounts, modified driveshaft, new rear end to handle the power, etc. then put it all together when you're ready, then at least for now you can drive it and enjoy it, then later on you can fulfill you're dreams of BIG POWER!!! lol.

• Like 1