lookin great!

I LIKE THE OLD CLASSIFIEDS BETTER........‚Äč

#42 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Cars:76 710 wagon, 74 710 4 door, 76 FJ40, 89 LandCruiser HJ61VX, 96 Nissan Pickup

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks!

I am looking forward to the end of the metal work, although it is still a "few" hours away!

near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

http://community.rat...976-wagoon-710/

"The 710 is the new 510." - datzenmike -

#43 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Cars:76 710 wagon, 74 710 4 door, 76 FJ40, 89 LandCruiser HJ61VX, 96 Nissan Pickup

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Another patch is done and ready to be welded in!  

The area inside and at the rear of the wheel well was a mess.  The inner piece of panel had a large portion that was quite rotten.

You can see the new piece here.  You can also see the area in the lower part of the quarter panel that needed to be removed as well.

image38.jpg

Although my phone doesn't take the best picture of this area, you can see the patch here as well.

image36.jpg

The patch for the lower piece of the quarter clamped in place.

image39.jpg

A different angle.

image40.jpg

There is still the inner curved part of the wheel well that needs a patch along with a new stretch of fender lip.  

Hopefully, I can start those pieces tonight.

#44 h2oprint

h2oprint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cars:1975 710 Wagon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I am enjoying following this build, but also am glad that i dont live near snow anymore.

#45 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hello all.  A little progress to report.  I have completed the back "corner" on the passenger side.  From the rear of the wheel well to the back corner has been patched.  So, next is the lower area of the dogleg and some patches on the passenger rocker.  

image41.jpg

My camera took the picture sideways for some reason, sorry (I don't know how to fix this).  This is looking into the wheel well towards the rear of the passenger side of the car.  The hole was left when the rust was removed.  Notice that the fender lip was also removed because of rust.

image42.jpg

Here is the same area with the patch welded in.  Lots of fun sitting in the wheel well getting this done!

image43.jpg

The rear corner without the rust and a layer of zero rust.

image44.jpg

The bottom area of the wheel well, again, without rust!

image45.jpg

Here is the fender lip clamped and ready to be tacked in.  This part was interesting to make, it has the curve of the wheel well, but also has the curve of the rear quarter.  With a piece of cardboard and some scissors, making a template makes life way easier.

image46.jpg

image48.jpg

This is how it finished after it was welded and with grinding completed.

Off to the shop tonight to start making the next piece.  More updates as the pieces are done.

Thanks for looking in!

A note for h20print, the snow is finally gone!!

#46 INDY510

INDY510

Jerusalem Cruiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Wow .... :cool:  ............. nice work!!!! ..  :thumbup:

#47 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks!  

I started the next piece (but much needed maintenance on my 1966 Case 530 Tractor got in the way)  and hope to get it finished tomorrow, no pictures yet!  I'm starting to think about the next steps after the metal work.  It feels good to plan a little further ahead.

#48 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Another afternoon in the shop!  Raining steady here so being inside was in order.

I have been working on repairing the lower front of the wheel well and a piece of the rocker. 

Here is the area with the rotten metal cut out.  I had to replace a section of the inner rocker there as well.  (Just like the driver's side.)

image49.jpg

And here are a couple of pictures of the patch that I built.  As with the driver's side, I pie cut the fender lip portion of the piece and welded it.  I do not have a shrinker tool for this work.  It is clamped in place for final test fit before I get ready to weld it in.

image51.jpg

image52.jpg

I have a few smaller patches left on the rocker on this side and then I will be finished the metal work on this side.  Then I am back to the driver's side.  I found a piece of the rear quarter panel, from the wheel well back, that needs to be removed and replaced.  There are also some areas of the fender lip in the wheel well that need to be replaced as well.  

Still quite a few hours of repair needed, but getting closer all the time!!

Thanks for checking things out!

#49 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,800 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Great job! :cool:

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#50 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for the encouragement!

I moved around the car to the driver's side rear quarter and found more work!  I went right by it the first time but upon further inspection, figured that if I am going to do this work, I might as well get this part done now, or I'd have to do later any how.  

Of course, when I cut the area of the quarter out, I found more rust that had to be removed.  So, it is taking a little longer than I had hoped.  Anyhow, on with the pictures.

This is a small area that was pretty pitted so I cut it out.

image53.jpg

And made a patch.

image54.jpg

The rear quarter removed.

image55.jpg

Now, the very rear at the bottom of the corner is an interesting piece to work with.  There are 3 layers of metal at the pinch weld.  There is the panel that you see from underneath the car, an inner piece that is folded and part of the support that holds the taillight, and then the quarter panel skin.  I have rebuilt the inner part of the taillight piece and tacked it in, although there is no picture.

image56.jpg

image57.jpg

I am still not terribly discouraged about the project.  I figure the time taken now will get me a few more years down the road until I'd have to tackle it again.

Once again, thanks for looking in!

#51 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,800 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Excellent work. :)

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#52 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 70,349 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

Body work is to the left of VooDoo to me. It's an art. I'm told that it can be taught but I think people are either born with the ability or they aren't.
Posted Image

#53 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Interesting you say that Mike. I have a friend (who is pretty talented at metal and body work) who asks, "How do I tell anyone how to do that? You just have to get some metal and start beating and hammering on it.".

I took his advice, bought a sheet of metal and started at it. The best motivator for me (to learn) was to cut the bad metal out leaving a hole that needed attention. At that point I had no choice but to figure it out if I wanted that hole to get fixed!

#54 MicroMachinery

MicroMachinery

Official Nintendo Seal of Quality

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,647 posts
  • Cars:71 521, 71 510 4dr, 80 720 4x4, 76 610 Coupe, 73 610 Wagon, 73 610 Coupe

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Dude! Your patches are UNREAL. I wish I could manipulate metal like that.. my 610 needs some patches bad. Real bad.

I like that, "Sail to a distant land and burn the ships once we reach shore" attitude. Sink or swim is a great motivator to learn. I'm inspired.

#55 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the compliments!   I am really appreciative of the feedback!  It is a great motivation for me.

The patches are far from perfect (I have a long way to go for that) and lord knows that there is no shortage of practice on this car, but each one gets easier to make, both in terms of the time it takes to make them and how long it takes to solve how to make them (this part is usually the most time consuming).  I am really fascinated by working with and shaping metal.

My goal is to have a car that I will be able to drive and tinker with for a long time to come, without it falling to pieces.  I live on a gravel road, so having a show car is not an option.  I want to have a reliable, unique (I'm pretty sure that I have the only one in Manitoba), fun to drive car that looks decent, not perfect. I think all of those things are totally possible.  

Until next time!

#56 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Finally, I managed to get in the shop for the first time in a few weeks.  Summer holidays are in full swing and I plan to spend a lot of hours on the car.  That, of course, will be mixed in with the "honey-do" list that waits for summer.

I started work on a patch for the bottom of the rear corner and managed to get it to fit today.  I forgot to take a picture of the patch before I welded it in.  But I did take a picture of it welded in.

This is what I started with.

image58.jpg

This is what it looks like now.  (You can see in the picture that I also welded in a piece to the inner part of the panel.) 

image59.jpg

image60.jpg

So the next patch to make was the longish piece of the body panel.  Here are two shots from different angles.  There is still some fine tuning needed before being welded in.

image61.jpg

image62.jpg

Once this is done, it's time to weld in the pieces that I made previously and have yet to get them welded in.  

As always, thanks for looking in!

#57 Bentaxlebob

Bentaxlebob

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Cars:VW, Mazda, Datsun, Subaru, Mopar.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Great work

#58 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Progress welding in patches and doing rust repair in the rocker areas is taking a lot of time.  There certainly isn't anything glamourous about any of this step in the process.  I finished welding the patches on the passenger side rocker today.  I have to say that I am glad that I can stand and work for a while.  Without a lift, I have spent a LOT of time sitting on the concrete floor getting the patches to fit right.  In the process, I found more rust that needed repair so took care of that while I was at it.  One thing the welder is good at is finding shitty metal!

I knew I had rust under the rear liftgate window seal.  After I took the window out, this is what I found.

image64.jpg

image65.jpg

So, I took it out.

image67.jpg

image66.jpg

It goes without saying, that there are a few hours of work here.  Getting closer to body work and paint!

Thanks for checking it out!

#59 opalbeetle

opalbeetle

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

So I tackled the patches on the liftgate sill.  There are 2 "steps" in the profile and I needed to find a way to make the steps and have the radius of those curves match the factory ones.  I had an old bedrail that I cut some pieces out of.  (HARD steel that stuff is.  Wrecked my horizontal band saw blade trying to cut it!) Then I put it in the vice like this.

image68.jpg

I used the vice grips to tighten up the ends.  I could push the metal over with my hands and then I used a nylon headed hammer to finish the bend.  As dumb luck would have it, the radius on the bed rails was very, very close to the radius needed for the patch!  I couldn't use my hands to bend the shortest step as the metal wouldn't bend straight.  So I used another piece of angle to help me.

image69.jpg

It bent the short step far enough that I could fit an edge of the dolly along the fold to flatten it out.

The finished patch.  I made one larger piece with the "brake" and then cut it into two patches instead of trying to make two separate ones.  (I only took pictures of one.)

image70.jpg

Set into the hole.  

image71.jpg

I have started to tack both pieces in.  In between tacks, I assessed what needs to be done to fix the passenger side fender.  I removed a fender and the valance from a parts car I have (a four door) and compared it to the fender that was on the wagon.  So.....some comparison pictures.

This one has a pretty good dent!

image73.jpg

The other one has a pretty good area of rot.  This fender also has some rotten areas (as in see through) along the top edge of the wheel well. 

image76.jpg

image75.jpg

The areas that are the worst are the bottom rear of the fender.  Both fenders are rotten! One is "slightly" worse than the other.

The good one.

image74.jpg

The bad one.

image72.jpg

Initially I was planning to repair the fender with the rotten front area.  I was going to cut the bottom off the dented fender and use it to replace the rusted area.  But, when I saw the see through areas along the wheel well I was faced with a dilemma.  What fender would be the best base to start from?  I have decided to use the dented one (the dent will need a little hammer and dolly work but it should come out ok) and rebuild the bottom rear of the fender.  That should be fun!  At least there is a somewhat decent one I can use for a pattern.

As an aside, I removed the front valance from the parts car and it is MINT!  Now I don't need to fix the other one.  That is great news!

This is the one I removed from the wagon.  The rusty area on the left side of the picture (although not clear in the picture) is swiss cheese.

valance.JPG

This is the same area on the one I took from the 4 door.

image77.jpg

Moving forward!  

Thanks for looking in!

#60 EdwardK

EdwardK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Cars:'74 620, '73 610, '86 300zx, '97 Mazda MPV, '77 Ford F-150

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

Dude! Your patchwork is inspirational! As soon as my 610 is movable I think I may try what you're doing on some of the more simpler spots. (Yah, know, walk you run. lol)

Keep up the amazing work bro!

Yes I'm insane.

How insane? Well check this out: http://edwardksgarage.blogspot.com/

Follow my garage on Facebook! https://www.facebook...tive?ref=stream