• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Le Update...

Well... I'm renaming Emma to "Schwing".

Because I finally have in possession my next major project!

Basically a 90% complete KA24DE swap!

Engine has 90K miles, transmission is 240sx (which I assume came from the donor car).

12# Fidanza flywheel, new clutch (stock)

Injectors, T/B, MAF, ECU + modified harness (with Consult interface)

Reversed cross-member w/ flipped LCA pivots (LCA's included)

1" Front-sump swaybar w/ hardware

Also came with a box of spare parts. Trans has an ebay knockoff short-throw shifter.

The uber hard shit is already taken care of, so all that's left is a radiator & associated plumbing (which I believe I have everything to plumb it already, won't know until the radiator is in).

Also need to get a 240sx fuel pump so I can convert my tank to an in-tank pump /w baffle.

When she is running and I know there's nothing internally fubar, I'll start on my sub-project!

(Which for those that don't know, makes an awesome whine and put me around 200WHP!)

Anyways, here's a promo picture as it sits before I gave her a bath.

(This picture also shows a great use of low-pro runflat tires that accumulate at your house..)

2011-09-25165411.jpg

• Like 1

Oh by the way, a single-cam KA alternator mount bolts directly onto an L20B and lines up perfectly... same alignment, same bolt pattern, same everything - just beefy as hell and uses a single-bolt attachment!

If I knew this years ago, I would have eliminated a LOT of my damned alternator issues. I could never find a mount that worked right, either the stupid attachment was funky, the 2-bolt attachment style ones SUCK ASS, and this one was just pretty much bolt-in and go. Hopefully that bit of info will help somebody else out there!

Oh by the way, a single-cam KA alternator mount bolts directly onto an L20B and lines up perfectly... same alignment, same bolt pattern, same everything - just beefy as hell and uses a single-bolt attachment!

If I knew this years ago, I would have eliminated a LOT of my damned alternator issues. I could never find a mount that worked right, either the stupid attachment was funky, the 2-bolt attachment style ones SUCK ASS, and this one was just pretty much bolt-in and go. Hopefully that bit of info will help somebody else out there!

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69-90-amp-bolt-in-alternator-on-an-l-series-motor/ a bit late now though.

Thanks for the link!

I'm actually already running a Saturn alternator.

I just didn't know that the KA mount would work on an L20B, would have saved me many frustrations if I knew I could just use that instead of fiddling with all the stupid bolts and nuts... and alignment issues. Lol.

Ordered my radiator/shroud/fan setup off eBay today!

Going to give CXRacing a shot - haven't seen any bad reviews over the half hour or so I was looking into them. I figure in the worst case scenario, with enough complaining - I can get it fixed.

Once it gets here I'll take some detailed pictures of it, since I haven't actually found any for the Datsun KA swap rad. Anybody else running this radiator?

I haven't found any detailed pictures on their build quality, so once it arrives I'll take some nice detailed pictures & measurements for somebodies future usage.

Also got a line on my 240sx fuel tank so I can harvest my fuel pump assembly out of it. May have to drive to Florence, OR to pick it up though.

I know a *lot* of people are running KA's (and SR's) now in their Datsuns. What are your thoughts on a stock pump vs the Wahlbro?

I can save a bit of money and just buy a new OEM S13 fuel pump, or I can splurge and buy the Wahlbro 255LPH pump. Haven't decided which way I want to go just yet... I'm still waiting on a confirmation as to whether the S13 pump is good for 7-10psi. Obviously the Wahlbro is going to be better, that seems to be what everybody is running, but then again these are the same people rolling 400WHP KA's and SR's, and I have no intentions of going over the 250WHP mark. In fact probably want to stick to around 200WHP once I'm done. I'd rather not spend money on something that won't really be beneficial. I know the stock pumps pretty much last forever.

Not my car, but this is the rad setup I just ordered.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Noise.

If it's anything like that, I can't imagine how annoying it will be to have that inside the car behind the back seat, where a 510 tank is located.

Looks like I'll stick with a stock 240sx fuel pump. OEM stuff lasts pretty much forever, and I have bad luck with crap breaking.

@Twodoordime - I would run an inline as well, but I'm not very familiar with all this EFI stuff. I don't have, or have access to a bunch of fabrication equipment, so designing and installing a surge tank isn't really my forte`. Do you have your setup already figured out? I have a little time left to make a final decision so I'm all ears!

None of my walbro's sound like that, that thing sounds like its falling apart inside. Im not doing a surge tank, Im making a VERY simple baffle in the corner of my factory gas tank where the oem outlet is and then running an inline pump. Have you ever looked inside a factory tank (my hondas anyway)? the baffle is just a cup with a hole to let fuel in. Im going to make the same thing but in the corner of my factory 510 tank. I thought about doing a surge tank but I dont want to run the extra lines and the low pressure pump.

Yeah that's the part I want to avoid - the second pump and the extra plumbing. I'm curious though - you should make up a cute little drawing or something so I could check out exactly what you're talking about.

I assume you mean like a little baffled area for the outlets? I know the 240sx tank has a little cup thing that the pump sits into, welds to the bottom of the tank. You talking something like that only smaller and in the corner for the outlets?

You're also upgrading the outlet/return lines to a larger size, yes? Several people have told me the 1/4" and 5/16" feeds on the stock tank aren't going to cut it...

• Like 1

5/16 is the factory ka fuel line size I believe so it should be fine. Im using the oem feed line as my ka return and ran a new 5/16 line back for the feed. Ice house runs his ka 620 with factory lines if i remember right. Yes im basically going to make the same little cup thing in the corner of a factory 510 tank.

Well I'll definitely keep my eye out for ideas. Sounds like it would be a viable option, although that in-tank set up would be kind of neat... doing it your way would retain the factory fuel sender and such.

Just thought I pop this in here in case you guys wanted to see some ideas.

Here's what my EFI baffle looks like. (before it was all finish welded and spot welded to the bottom of the tank)

No cornering starvation at all.

P1000594Small.jpg

I used a mounting ring from a D21 Hardbody tank. With this set up, you'll want to cut 1" out of the height of the factory s13 sending unit and then reinstall the fuel pump. (I use the oem s14 pump and it works great.)

P1000576Small.jpg

P1000589Small.jpg

P1090734Small.jpg

Very cool car BTW.

@Creep, nice setup! I like that a LOT actually, I may just copy it :D At least the baffle anyways, really liking the baffle.

@Tendril - Thanks :)

@Bonvo - Actually I'm in Grants Pass, but I was up in La Pine not too long ago (Summer). There's a burger joint there in Wickiup that'll rename their burger after you, if you can eat it. My brother and I are planning on making a trip up there soon to accept said challenge. :D Next time I'm that way I'll hit you up. BTW, I took the 510 hunting this year, but we hunt down off West Boundary Road/Forest Rd. 70 and pretty much anything west of 97 and south of 138. ProTip - 510's don't like pumice, I had easily a half inch of it in my trunk, and just enough to turn my black carpet into tan carpet. If I beat the seats, I dust myself out. But I managed 85mph on West Boundary Road (yes I'm stupid no I won't do it again, ever.). I love me some pumice-rally!

Well ya know, snow never stopped me before. If you've never been to Diamond Lake Junction cafe, you should make a trip down there around 9AM or so and order yourself some food. Make sure you get the pancake on the side. Best pancakes I've ever had... I occasionally make a trip up, just for breakfast. Sometimes even lunch. :)

Oh yeah, the obligatory snow pictures...

IMG_7246-1.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

Here is what -7 Degrees looks like with a fat guy in a damn grey shirt.. notice the ice forming on my shirt.

Like a boss...

IMG_7366.jpg

Magical snakes did it.

Those pics are from 2010. April Fool's day to be specific. That entire tripped was literally possible due to an entire case of Monster energy drinks and lots of cigs.