MY Nisan J30

I bought this car for about 500.00. It's a 93 Infinity J30. The guy i bought it from owns a juck yard and ask if i wanted it before he parted it out.

It had a knock in the motor that sounded like a rod.j30fuelpump008.jpg

j30fuelpump011.jpg

j30fuelpump012.jpg

I've had it for almost 3-4 years without really doing much.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after letting it sit awhile it wouldn't crank. Couldn't hear the fuer pump come on so i want shopping....j30fuelpump013.jpg

Gas tank was easy to get to so i pulled the pump out. J30 fuel pumps are way too expensive to purchase for a junk car so....

j30fuelpump007.jpg

I got one out of a Maxima. Same exact pump.

j30fuelpump003.jpg

Got the car back running with a knock in the motor, more work and money with nothing more to show for the effort.

I used to have J30, loved that car. J30T in pearl white. Awesome car. Traded it in on my Dodge Grand Caravan....................... :crying:

Yes. I like the car and my buddy knew i would jump on a good vehicle that had a bearing problem. Sometimes you can get a quality car for just some work that's too expensive for the average Joe....

So time goes on and i keep looking at all the junk from the top of the engine and just don't want to pull it out. So i let it sit awhile...

DSCF0615.jpg

Looking at it from another angle with the radiator out and a few things out of the way.

DSCF0611.jpg

DSCF0614.jpg

What a dirt engine....Now I'm thinking go at it from underneath......So it sits a while longer.....

Finally this weekend I drop the front suspension, cross-member and steering rack, and let it hang so i can get the oil pan off and touch the crank. The knock was easy to find. As soon as i touched the #6 rod cap it tapped against the crank.

Took the rod cap off, bearing was nowhere to be found and one cap bolt seemed longer than the other.

Took off #4 rod cap to look at it and compare......

DSCF0883.jpg

DSCF0878.jpg

DSCF0875.jpg

So the bearing off the journal for #4 rod looks about as bad as I've seen in real life.

And if the rod cap for #6, which was causing the knock looks this bad i don't think a new set of bearings is gonna help.

:(

ya i don't think a bearing set is going to do it aether

I had my fingers crossed that it would be in good enough shape to try a new bearing set. If I knew for sure I could drop the crank and pull the pistons out the bottom I'd prolly get some beer and have a little fun next weekend.

Anybody know for sure with the crank out the pistons will slide out from the bottom?

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0886.jpg

I should've known this was gonna be a work pit. Almost as bad as a money pit. :(

I got all this posted on another site that deals with infinity cars. Been on their forum for about 2-3 years when i got the car, but fewer members and they don't do things Ratsun people do. Guys over here got some serious skills making shit work.

:lol: :D

does it have HICAS?

I don't think so. I'll check it out....Whats the easiest way to tell? PS line to the rear?

I'm pretty sure it don't but i'll try to check. I hope it don't, i think.

the pistons wont come out the bottom and i agree that the ratsun guy's know alot of stuff except me :D

Yep. I've never had a motor on the stand that you could pull all the pistons out from the bottom.

As much oil that's on the pan and motor it probably had some oil leaks and the driver never checked it and ran it til it turned a bearing. Once i saw the shape it was in i quit working on it. ( just this past weekend)

I hate to sell it for scrap. If i take the time to pull the parts i would like to keep for future use, they would join the pile of other stuff that I got put in all the storage space.

:(

I guy in Atlanta swapped in a five-speed on his. Also used 300zx and 240sx coilovers. I love to that to one and also swap a TT motor in. I bet if they had come factory with a manual transmission, the car would be much more popular today. most peaple think it FWD.

I'm assuming you want to pull the pistons to change the rod?

I'd be more concerned with the crankshaft itself (both the main and rod journals) than the rod caps themselves. I've seen worse rod caps. Hell, we shim ones that look worse than that as long as they're still round. Of course, the engines I work on, rods were last produced in 1947 and there are NO replacements to be found. The J30 has a VG30 and frankly you could probably get a junkyard bottom end (or just the crank and rods) fairly cheap.

I had my fingers crossed that it would be in good enough shape to try a new bearing set. If I knew for sure I could drop the crank and pull the pistons out the bottom I'd prolly get some beer and have a little fun next weekend.

Anybody know for sure with the crank out the pistons will slide out from the bottom?

DSCF0888.jpg

DSCF0886.jpg

I should've known this was gonna be a work pit. Almost as bad as a money pit. :(

How are you going to get the crank out without pulling the flexplate and torque converter out by removing the transmission?

Its gonna be easier to yank the engine completely out of the car LOL

How are you going to get the crank out without pulling the flexplate and torque converter out by removing the transmission?

Its gonna be easier to yank the engine completely out of the car LOL

Well, i wasn't going to replace anything but the spun rod bearing to begin with. Hell i wasn't even going to replace but the one rod bearing if i thought i could get by that way.

I still am kicking around the idea of pulling the one head to remove the piston to replace the rod. As far as the crank goes it's not bad. I think i could clean up the journal well enough to work, without even droping the crank out of the car.

I have removed the main beam and the main bearings dont look too bad. I may could even replace the mains without totally removing the crank if i had too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't done anything sense removing the main beam and will use the mic. to see if the rod is round enough to risk an undersized bearing, maybe 1 thou under.

While i know it's not the best way, it's the cheapest and all i really lose is my time and effort, and maybe 100.00 in parts, oil, coolant etc.. until it turns it again.

I have seen some backyard guy do some shit like this that actually held up alot better than you would think.

If you really want to get down. Pull engine and examine the whole picture. examine crank for damage, or maybe best off to replace with another block/crank. maybe junkyard? swap in 5 speed. profit.

either way, you don't want to do that shit on the ground. pull out and start cleaning.

Don't know how readily available used "40 thousand mile" Japanese engine importers are in your vicinity but a gently used 3 or even 3.8 liter [from a 380Z] V6 would be a good idea. A hell of a lot more than the $500 you bought it for but by replacing the engine cover on the V6 it would still look stock.