1971 521

jon521

This is my 1971 521 L16. I have had it for awhile now but i recently just started driving as my daily driver, and i finally got around to getting some pictures. I bought for $800 from the second owner, who probably never drove it. He said the original owners son had removed smog pump and the whole interior, which really meant the seat belts, the bench seat, and the radio. The guy i bought it from put the bucket seats in, but no seat belts. I had to flat tow it home. Once i got it home, i had to take care of some vacuum leaks left by the removal of the smog pump, along with a replacement of the intake gasket. so far i have put new shoes on the back, along with a wheel cylinder, put a weber on (which still needs to be tuned), replaced wheel bearings (which were a PITA to find), and new king pins. Also of course all the normal stuff, oil change, coolant flush, seafoam, etc. I really like this truck, being my first vehicle and my first datsun. I really would like to make it run better, carb needs to be tuned. I figured out my mpg, and i was getting 14 :( so i pulled my plugs and they were all black so i need to look into that. but over all this is a really fun little truck. In the future i would like to put a bigger cam in, maybe performance headers, go to a 2 in exhaust to a cherrybomb turbo, and definetly put a five speed in. Thanks alot, you guys have helped alot

DSC03108.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03124.jpg

the guy i bought it from did lower the front with the torsion bars, but i still would like to do the back as well

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03120.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's clean, but the FIRST THING you need to do is get rid of that stupid bungee cord on the battery and replace it with a rigid mount, unless of course you're looking to set the truck on fire and burn it to the ground, in which case by all means proceed as usual.

Thanks!

wayno

ya the top of my passenger front fender is orange, but only the top, and under it is red

matt

haha ya actually i was planning on burning it! but no seriously your right i do need to get an actual hold down haha

• 3 weeks later...

he torsioned the bars all the way out, he has 3inch blocks, and he has mono leaf springs (he pulled his middle leafs out). it looks sweet, but he bottoms out on EVERYTHING

I have the same issue, I have 3" blocks lowering my 521 in the rear, I took the rubber bumpers out and I am now bottoming out on the littlest things, it rides alright till I hit a speed bump, I am going to have to do something soon though.

I have the same issue, I have 3" blocks lowering my 521 in the rear, I took the rubber bumpers out and I am now bottoming out on the littlest things, it rides alright till I hit a speed bump, I am going to have to do something soon though.

i took my bump stops all the way off too, but i was just going out cut them in half then put them back on. i still have lots of clearance tho. but your bottoming out with just the blocks? i havent bottomed out at all, yet. maybe notch your frame?

Glad somebody bought that beauty! That was on cl for a while. That looks like Lancaster Commons apartments? Holla at me if you need any local help, I'm in Independence and drive through salem twice a day for work. Thinkin that truck needs an altitude adjustment for sure!

Glad somebody bought that beauty! That was on cl for a while. That looks like Lancaster Commons apartments? Holla at me if you need any local help, I'm in Independence and drive through salem twice a day for work. Thinkin that truck needs an altitude adjustment for sure!

And some disc brakes. Right Bee?

i took my bump stops all the way off too, but i was just going out cut them in half then put them back on. i still have lots of clearance tho. but your bottoming out with just the blocks? i havent bottomed out at all, yet. maybe notch your frame?

One thing at a time, I need to get it to the stage of safe/reliable daily driver, my 521 truck cab is sitting on a 1981-2 datsun 720 diesel frame, though I don't recall what rear leafs I am running. This is my project.

DSCN0522.jpg

ya for sure man i will let you know. im actually in keizer though, but you know, salem keizer same thing haha

One thing at a time, I need to get it to the stage of safe/reliable daily driver, my 521 truck cab is sitting on a 1981-2 datsun 720 diesel frame, though I don't recall what rear leafs I am running. This is my project.

DSCN0522.jpg

looks like you have done alot of work with this truck

Nice 521, those look like mazda B-series bucket seats, how are the for comfort/cab space?

ya i was told by my friend (the one with the mazda) that they were mazda seats. I like how they fit the cab, the seat itself scoots forward/back, and the back tilts. i also took the head rests off. But im 6'2'' and i have them scooted back all the way and they work great for me. fairly comfortable too. im planning on putting a 620 rearhalf of a center console between the seats as well. hope that kind of answers your question.

• 4 weeks later...

so i have been offered an L20b for my 521 and i am considering buying it and putting it in. my truck burns alot of oil! i already bought valve seals but havent put them in. i was thinking that it would take about as long to do valve seals as it would to do the swap. what i was thinking was that the swap would solve my smoking problem plus more power. but the engine has sat for a year, and the seller did not pull it, he bought it from someone else. I trust the seller, really nice guy, and he says its a lower mileage engine. but for all i know it could need rings and seals, right? so i would be back to where i am now but $250 poorer and have a slightly more powerful engine. or it could be a great engine for all i know. opinions welcome on if i should keep my L16 and try to get it to work, or buy the l20b. and if anyone has put an l20b in a 521 before, how noticeable was the difference?

thanks in advanced! :)