Elmer's 510 goon

Traded the pathfinder for Calley's 78 510 goon, and yes it has issues, mostly electrical.

Dash is dead, parking lights are dead, god knows what else, this will be the first weekend I have had to get into it and work on it. My to do list is get the electrical gremlins beaten into submission and then tint it. going to pull all of the back glass if I can soften the seals up enough to risk it, I am hoping they dont have any glue on the back three, and I will be pulling the door glass out as well. The tint WILL be flawless. While I got the glass out I will drop the headliner and add vibration dampener and sound shield pad. then on to some tunes. I will be looking for a 5 speed and a new carb as well. Crap, I got alot to do!! :blink:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traded the pathfinder for Calley's 78 510 goon, and yes it has issues, mostly electrical.

Dash is dead, parking lights are dead, god knows what else, this will be the first weekend I have had to get into it and work on it. My to do list is get the electrical gremlins beaten into submission and then tint it. going to pull all of the back glass if I can soften the seals up enough to risk it, I am hoping they dont have any glue on the back three, and I will be pulling the door glass out as well. The tint WILL be flawless. While I got the glass out I will drop the headliner and add vibration dampener and sound shield pad. then on to some tunes. I will be looking for a 5 speed and a new carb as well. Crap, I got alot to do!! :blink:

Got the 5-speed...

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31738-5-speed-transmission-rebuilt/page__p__476637__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=476637

Damn Don I thought PL not HL... excellent!!! You've come over to the goon side. It's the logical progression for any previous or current truck owner. I love the later 510s. I assume it's a 4 speed now?

basagoon.jpg

The '78 standard had a pathetic 3.545 rear axle ratio so for the biggest bang for the buck performance increase get a diff from a 1st or 2nd gen 200sx or 710 with the same H-165 axle in it. They range from 3.70, 390 all the way to 4.11. Thinking of mileage? get the zx 5 speed with the big over drive 5th to cancel out the rear gear increase on the highway. It's called eating your cake and keeping it too.

Sorry, the price your asking for that tranny is out of my budget for the moment. Got it to the tint shop so I can work on it. The door glass is out and the window regulators need to be cleaned and lubed. and got the rear window seals soaking to soften them up. Hope they dont split when I pull them.

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Engine bay is pretty clean, but it idles high as hell till you tap the gas petal just right. I am going to clean the throttle cable and carb after I get it back outside.

IMAG0205.jpg

I will start the electrical later in the morning.

Looks like I will be payin Hobbes the cat a visit this weekend to grab a hatch and whatever else I could use from his parts car. I wondering about doing power windows, granted the keyless entry is a given. Also wondering what other options I have for seats. I got a line on some Toyota Celica seats that I might pop in there but that is later, and that front drivers side fender has got to go!! <_<

Elmer is that your garage????

nvm i actually read the post and realized its the tint shop. i was about to bust a load

umm...why yes...yes it is!! ;)

JK :D

Well it is my garage for now, I got use of it anytime as long as I leave it clean. Granted I cant do heavy shit but it will be there till I fix the electrical issues and the tint. Sometimes I get lucky.

Great day today! fixed the main electrical issue with the fusible links and parking lights. Now all I got to do is clean the sockets for the bulbs and grease them, grease the window regulators and tint it! But the very next thing is droppin the headliner and deading the roof.

anyone know what the problem was? lol

IMAG0221.jpg

goin to clean these while I got them out

IMAG0219.jpg

Main issue was getting the links done right then cleaning the contacts on the switch, then everything worked fine! :D

FWIW, I did a little test between some plastic polishes and such, when I cleaned my lenses up on the dime.

I found that Mother's mag wheel polish works better than Plast-X or that Blue Magic crap. Smells better, too.

I tried some 2K grit sandpaper on one, polished it back out. Came out pretty, but not perfect.

So, save money and you have a dual-purpose polish :)

Tinting is not going the way I wanted, the back three are ok, but not perfect. With a ride that old the glass MUST come out, damn old seals craping dirt even when I scubbed the hell outta them for 3 hours. The door glass is great, but the rear window is scratched to hell and more than a few of the defrosters are screwed.

IMAG0226.jpg

I have a new ratsun logo, I didnt care for the red one.

IMAG0225.jpg

Gonna scrub the gaskets on the rear doors later today before I finish installing the glass, Boss #2 is on vacation, I got the shop to myself till Wed!! :D

IMAG0224.jpg

Rims and tires may get done later today as well.

Want to get it ready for the Port orchard meet on the 10th.

I found some from datsunlandsocal, looks like about $400 Ill wait a bit till I get the carb issue dealt with first.

So then how did you get the tint on the windows? Did you do it with the windows in the car?