Introduction & my Custom 620

MOODSTER

Hello everyone, my name is "Moody", I live in Riverside Ca. I scored this ol custom 620 from my bro Derek (Chopderek) And as soon as it was shipped down from No Ca, and a quick test drive,we were loading it onto my trailer.

My plans are a period style resto circa 1980. Low,level,chopped,keeping the Westerns (fully polish) louver the hood and tailgate. Something I would have seen cruisin Whittier Blved when I was in High school.

My goal is to drive it to the Sowthwest Datsun's BBQ this summer.

1974datsunchoptop.jpg

As you can see, it was chopped.Not very well, so that is the main part of this project-"Re-chop"! It has a L-20,4spd,elect ign,Webber carb.

1974datsunchopped.jpg

I have been collecting parts including,a top section with full size rear window ( I hate the "mailslot)" taigate,chrome ring grill, bucket seats from a 620 and a 5spd.

teardown1.jpg

Bedremoved.jpg

I have removed the bed to repair a little rust,clean and paint everything and install new 3" blocks. I will be shaving the marker lights and welding all the seams.I also will bedliner the underside of the bed as well as inside.

More to follw as It proceeds.Hope you guy's dig it.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sweet! What color are you thinking of painting it? It needs some 80's graphics.

Thanks. I was never a big fan of graphics ( Although I dig "ABACAB") I am leaning toward my favorite, Rootbeer brown metalic ( med brown/ gold) with orange and cream pinstripes. black interior with velour inserts that play off the paint color. Late 70,s early eightys style (prior to the pastel/graphic/monochromatic trends).

MOODY!!!! What's up bro ham?!? That is gonna be a bad ride... Dereck is coming over for a 4 wheel brake job tomorrow on the kid's 620, cruise down we'll have a coldy and then we're going to the hot dog show! 80's on Whittier blvd. I still had my 62 320 then! green as a m f'er...

MOODY!!!! What's up bro ham?!? That is gonna be a bad ride... Dereck is coming over for a 4 wheel brake job tomorrow on the kid's 620, cruise down we'll have a coldy and then we're going to the hot dog show! 80's on Whittier blvd. I still had my 62 320 then! green as a m f'er...

Yo Harry, I was out at The LA Roadsters show selling in the swapmeet parts and tryin to find a buyer for my 31. When you guy's are ready, I'll be there to help you guy's swap those cabs for sure. "Hot Dog" show? I don't know if I like the sound of that one LOL! See you at Dereks party?

Thanks. I was never a big fan of graphics ( Although I dig "ABACAB") I am leaning toward my favorite, Rootbeer brown metalic ( med brown/ gold) with orange and cream pinstripes. black interior with velour inserts that play off the paint color. Late 70,s early eightys style (prior to the pastel/graphic/monochromatic trends).

Oh man- that's going to be great. Love the 80s! That color scheme will be perfect. Subscribed.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a new job a couple weeks ago and have been a little busy. I should have time this week to get started on un-fuking that chop.My bro John will be assisting me and I am waiting for him to have some free time.I'll post up some prog pic's when we do, hopefully before the 4th!

I got on stripping the paint ( rust under the body filler) on the cab and front clip. I did get my new shocks today and Derek dropped my cowl vent off for chrome plating. Gonna hit er hard this weekend and post up some pic's, because I know that's all you REALLY want! LOL. Oh, and LOUVERS comin soon, stay tuned.

Hey Moody!!

There was a chopped standard cab that was done years ago by Kolor Me Kustom. I believe Al Hellerud did the chop. It was owned by Kevin Koepsell, who was the son of Fontana Datsun's owner. The truck was almost stock 620 blue with white into yellow flames on the side. It was a cover truck in either 1978 or 79. He was one of the only guys to have a chopped truck without the "mailslot" rear window. He dropped the rear window frame down to the top of the bed. Hope that helps, Mike