Turbo Tom Car on E-bay

fisch

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i remember right and if that is the same car that turbo tom built that car had about 275 horses

Damn! And from an L-motor! HAinz would be proud.

One truly inspiring Datsun story involves Tom Wyatt III, otherwise known as Turbo Tom. Turbo tom built a rather fast Turbo powered L20b Datsun 510 and entered in the "Walter Mitty" at Road Atlanta one year. The engine developed 275 horsepower at 21 pounds of boost for drag racing, with 250 more like it on the track. It featured at T04 Rotomaster Turbo and 4150 Holley carb set up.

As the story goes, SCCA officials started him out in class with similar style cars, but had to keep moving up in class as he blew the doors off each increasingly powerful group of cars. By the end of the day he was racing with the Corvettes and Cobras. He beat a Porsche 930 on a lap by nine seconds, and a race prepped 427 Cobra by 3 seconds. The race staff didn't know what to do, so they gave him a custom made trophy instead of embarrassing one of the more prestigious classes.

tt.jpg

http://www.datsunhistory.com/Racehistory1.html

How long ago was this turbo tom's team?

I ask because there is a douschebag in my town that drives an MKIII supra, and has a couple flared 510 2drs, one supposedly has an sr20 in it, but I've never seen it. Anyway, he calls himself "turbo tom" and he claims to have been into road racing "when it was just getting going". He's only like 35 or 40 though, so I dont know, he really comes off as just some douschebag with a complex though for sure.

When I bought my ca18det for my 240, he came by when we were in midswap and just kept ragging on me about it. Claimed the sr20 was the only true nissan turbo engine :P.

The real Turbo Tom died a few years ago. He was well known for making real sleeper cars. Alot of attention to detail, and very well sorted cars. The kind of thing that you would could just glance over but once you looked closer you would notice some crazy details and innovative things. He built a few cars, and you see them on ebay and such every once in a while.

I would like to add a bit of advice for anyone out the on the intarwebz, If you are trying to sell a car for $9k, it might be a good idea to get some dectent pictures, and maybe give a slightly better description.

That being said, the car is cool. I would question it's source before believing that it is a car built by Tom, and not just one using his parts. But I don't suppose it really matters

I would question it's source before believing that it is a car built by Tom, and not just one using his parts. But I don't suppose it really matters

I think your right Kiz, it would matter. Or at least it should. If one could prove that Shelby actually built their Cobra, I bet it would sell for more.

But then again we are talkin Datsun budgets here! Might not matter at all.

Its sad he is no longer with us :(. Does anyone know the guy who used to work for him that owns toms old ttv6 510? These are the only two cars of his that are still running. peace.

Brian Feldman built the V6 tt 510, cool car. Here is a video of the tt 510 in action.

http://www.bryanf.com/510/cars.htm

The 4cyl 510 with a draw thru should get out of it`s own way, how fast it would get out it`s own way, well that`s the "real" question.

Turbo Tom and Mr. Feldman built some very cool cars.

Didnt he work for turbo tom? I am positive the story I read from brian said the vehicle was built for a rich guy by turbo tom and him. The rich guy got bored with the vehicle and sold it to brian. Thats what I remember anyway. peace.

Its sad he is no longer with us :(. Does anyone know the guy who used to work for him that owns toms old ttv6 510? These are the only two cars of his that are still running. peace.

there is a guy on the realm with his ka t car:)

I have one of tom's exhaust manifolds :D

• 1 year later...

I have a Turbo Tom car I bought directly from him many years ago. I made him sign the air cleaner as part of the deal. It is a 71 510 with a 2.2 naps z turbocharged fuel injected (injectors from Porsche 944 turbo). The setup is typical for his philosophy.. build the motor for torque, add the turbo for horsepower in the upper ranges. The motor is rough and brutal. I have made many refinements to the car and now it is my daily driver. My other 510s have been put to use by my sons. The Turbo is King! I would occasionally hear from Tom when he'd come to southwest GA, usually because of his addiction to flying. I was very sad to hear of his untimely death. I feel extremely lucky to have the opportunity to drive a piece of 510 history.

I have a Turbo Tom car I bought directly from him many years ago.

:eek::eek: Welcome!!!! You have to start a thread about your car. Pretty please!

i saw that car on atlanta's craigslist about 8 months ago. sold quick, or they deleted it.

I acctually spoke to him about it, if I remember correctly He only wanted 4 grand for it. I tried to trade him my 510 and my 240 for it. but he wanted cash. so I tried to sell them but by the time I got some bites it had been sold.

He loved you.. he quoted me a price of $12K. I didn't haggle with him at all..he was astonished. I told him I was merciles with used car salesmen but generous with engineers. I got many improvements before I picked the car up courtesy of my friend...WHAT a classy guy. I am totally new to this communication format.. what is a thread? SHOE

He was working on another 510 for racing...ka24de with turbo, totally reworked suspension, flawless robins egg blue body. it was embryonic when he died..his executor offered it to me for $20K............I countered $8K. I thought Bryan Feldman got it. Wonder where it is.SHOE

Edited by Shoe
He loved you.. he quoted me a price of $12K. I didn't haggle with him at all..he was astonished. I told him I was merciles with used car salesmen but generous with engineers. I got many improvements before I picked the car up courtesy of my friend...WHAT a classy guy. I am totally new to this communication format.. what is a thread? SHOE

He was working on another 510 for racing...ka24de with turbo, totally reworked suspension, flawless robins egg blue body. it was embryonic when he died..his executor offered it to me for $20K............I countered $8K. I thought Bryan Feldman got it. Wonder where it is.SHOE

Bryan posted on the Realm today.

http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11442

After he died, Turbo Tom's wife sold the robins egg 4 door to a guy in Virginia. His Name is Brian Osborn. He had Brian Feldman finish the car for him. He brought it to Summit Point last year and the year before. What an amazing car. The engineering on it is fantastic. I got a chance to drive it. What a beast. It was only running 8 pounds of boost and it felt almost as fast as my LS1 powered 240Z.

P1010005.JPG

BestEngine.JPG

510b.jpg

• 11 years later...