A-series distributor issue

BluEvo210

Thanks!  I found my silicone sealant, took off the water outlet neck, and saw what I had done wrong...as a result of trying to work when it was too dark.

The cylinder head has a circle cut into it for the thermostat, and it's visible if I'm working in daylight. :rolleyes:

Once I saw it, the thermostat sat neatly in place while I bolted everything together around it. No more leak!

...And the car runs like normal again! No more bogging down whenever I try to pull away from a stop sign.  Maybe my gas mileage will go back up now. :D

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About the timing chain/issues-  My chain jumped one link, have since replaced the timing chain, sprockets, and tensioner.  But, now the engine won't start.  Tried a bunch of distributor adjustments, checked the TDC and it is right on- just won't start.  Gets fuel, has spark, has compression, and again is timed tight.  So i don't understand why it won't start.  Any ideas?  I am getting a timing light tomorrow.  The only thing I can think is that I am not lining up the distributor correctly.  Anyway, I appreciate any advice!

-ILR!

-Octavio

• 1 month later...

About the timing chain/issues-  My chain jumped one link, have since replaced the timing chain, sprockets, and tensioner.  But, now the engine won't start.  Tried a bunch of distributor adjustments, checked the TDC and it is right on- just won't start.  Gets fuel, has spark, has compression, and again is timed tight.  So i don't understand why it won't start.  Any ideas?  I am getting a timing light tomorrow.  The only thing I can think is that I am not lining up the distributor correctly.  Anyway, I appreciate any advice!

-ILR!

-Octavio

Heck, since my previous post, my distributor cap and rotor button went out again. 

I was silly and thought "I just replaced the cap and rotor a few years ago. It must be something else."  Nope.  Spent money on parts that didn't help, a mechanic friend tried different things, and it turned out to be the cap and rotor.  :rolleyes:  I can't have put very many miles on it since I previously changed that stuff, so I'm starting to wonder if these things just have a "shelf life".

These are some of the least expensive things you can change, and even I can do it, so it might be worthwhile.

My latest problem is I live in Virginia now (Virginia Beach = :poop:) and my Datsun failed inspection because the driver's side seatbelt is frayed. Not because it won't retract, not because the brake feel is sketchy, or because the clutch pedal stopped working minutes after the inspector handed me back the keys...

It may be the parts were cheap. The good caps have brass contacts inside. Cheap ones are aluminum.

Frayed seat belt..... Use a lighter to lightly burn off the fuzzies. Makes the belts look new if not better. If they are black try spraying with vinyl paint.

• Like 1