b210 alternator conversion

jprimrose

wondering if anyone has done an alternator swap from external to internal regulator? If so do you have any advise. I know im gonna need more power soon. Not to mention that i cant get my current charging system to charge the battery.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had basically the same problem two months ago. Simple fix if you can afford $87. :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-MINI-ALTERNATOR-DENSO-STREET-ROD-RACE-1-WIRE-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230fbf456aQQitemZ150588048746QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one is a direct bolt-on (same belt and all), and uses none of the stock wiring. Tape up the stock wiring, tie it back out of the way, run a big fat wire from the post on the back of the new alternator to the positive battery terminal. Job done. :cool:

They only put out 50 amps (some bigger 1-wire alts put out 100+), but the stock alternator usually only puts out 35-40 amps, so... :P

normal_photo2.jpg

• Like 1

That's the go. Even easier, you can use the existing big wire for the alternator, it's good for 50 amp.

Or if you are on a budget, go to pull-n-pick and for $12.50 get a Datsun 210 alternator, it is a direct bolt-in (same belt, etc). But it does require you to jumper one wire in the harness. And it doesn't save any weight :(

• 2 months later...

i would go with the later 210 alternator if you already are replacing your stock one. about the same price and the wiring is super easy. it can be reversed if needed too. i can post pics of my ex-regulator harness if needed.

The charging issue was from a bad battery. Haven't switch out the alternator, yet. When I Install the stereo Im gonna upgrade to a chevy 90 amp.

FWIW, make sure it's the smaller GM alt. The big one that most use is tough to use on a Datsun. They are so heavy they have a tendency to break the alternator bracket bolts. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, make sure it's the smaller GM alt. The big one that most use is tough to use on a Datsun. They are so heavy they have a tendency to break the alternator bracket bolts. :blink:

So fucking true..... Had to go with the 110 amp gm. 3rd gen adapter bracket is holding up though.