keys....

Shagy

does the same key that unlocks the door also work in the ignition on a 1971 510? I cannot remember. I'm also guessing that its a double sided key, not like my 69 which is a single side...

and where do you get the key blanks? I dont have keys for my new wagon and need to get something made. Anyway to find a key code?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took a ignition key with a hand full of door locks/fuel door lock to a lock smith and had everything keyed the same for 40 bucks. So my one key does everything and also had a spare made.

Just take the ignition to a lock smith

$40!! Fak...this guy wanted $95 for ONE key. How would it have been from the factory? 1 key for both? or does it just depend on how it was built?

I found these on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Key-Taylor-X10-62DV-Datsun-Nissan-1971-73-Ignition-/320549939892?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa243eab4

but I'm not sure what key blank I need and I dont want to spend $ on more useless shit.

After 1970 one key does everything. I bought a tight ignition with one key for 35 bucks and then took the locks out of another parts car. So none of my stuff matched, so I have 75 bucks total into my whole deal

Should be, but you need to know your lock configuration. That's what my '72 Wagon uses and my '74 pickup (which, coincidentally use the same key, not just the same blank!) My later, 76+ ones use the other (62DU X7). If the locks got changed they COULD be different. The ORIGINAL keys were short, but the long ones work OK, and a GOOD locksmith can cut them down so they aren't pocket spears.

I think I'm going to take the pass door cylinder out and goto a lock smith and buy a key blank to see which one it is. I've never needed a lock smith so I dont know a good one. These mother effers are expensive!!! $80-$130 to make a key w/out an existing key. I'm also being told the key codes are too old for them to use. WTF? Where are the old ass lock smiths that know their shit?

Anyone in the 626/909/562 area good?

The key blank is $2 at home depot and other hardware stores. It's not rare. It's the same as 1980s Subaru and Nissan.

Any of these work

21983.jpg

Or $8 at the Nissan dealer for the key blank

21980.jpg

If you want the original 1972 'N' key, taiwan or ukstar is the way to go, but be careful not to buy the mirror image key!

21982.jpg

Mirror image x6 vsersus x7 keys

21989.jpg

well this weekend I'll be vacuuming out the car so I'll pop off the door cylinder and goto a hardware shop and see what they have. I'll start with a X6.

All the spares I have @ the house are all single sided stuff I collected over the years.

Is there a way do decifer the key codes?

yeah for me I never thought about what blank to use and stuff, I just took the parts to the locksmith and let them do what they do and it worked out sweet.

oh yeah it only took about a half hour also