Switching Auto 620 to a 5spd?

MantisX620

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best bet is to buy a junked 620 that was already a 4 or 5 speed preferably '74 and on. Ideally a '77 and up with a 5 speed in it and just swap everything. If you find a '74 and up standard you will need the front half of the two piece driveshaft that has the hanger bearing at one end and the tranny spline at the other. If yours is a '74 or newer automatic you can skip this. Also:

Shifter, boot trans cover plate with the hole for the shifter.

Clutch and brake peddles. Get everything that will unbolt, clips, springs, switches, bolts.

Clutch master cylinder. It connects to the peddle with a push rod so get everything. (You may wish to buy a new one of these)

Clutch slave cylinder. (You may wish to buy a new one of these) Be sure to get the push rod between slave and clutch arm.

The hydraulic hard line and the flex hose that connects the above two items.

A standard flywheel. They come in 3 'sizes' 200mm 225mm and 240mm. (They are all physically the same but with different bolt patterns for the different pressure plate sizes) The flywheel 'size' determines which clutch and pressure plate size you can use.

A clutch disc, pressure plate and matching release bearing collar (or housing) with a new bearing. (You may wish to buy a new one of these)

A $5 pilot bearing that is tapped into the hole in the end of the crankshaft.

Two liters (2.114 US quarts) of GL 4 (NOT GL5) 80 w 90 gear oil marked "yellow metal compatible"

Hydraulic brake fluid for the clutch master.

I'll assume you can find your own 5 speed from a later 620, 280z or zx or Maxima. It may or may not have the following on it. If not, you will have to find them separate.

Clutch arm and dust boot and the spring clip to hold it to the pivot ball. Release bearing collar and spring clip to hold it to the clutch arm. The housing may come with the clutch kit. Don't know about the clip.

There is a large metal plate mounted behind the flex plate that's sandwiched between motor and tranny, with a hole for the starter. The automatic is two piece and will work on a standard.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Hi guys just wanted to bump this for more info. I am trying to gather parts to do my auto to manual swap and have a few questions. I know I need the parts datzenmike listed up there. The 280zx transmission I am buying is bare and does not have anything connected to it (clutch fork, throw out bearing/assembly). Can I just buy the parts I need on rockauto for a 78 620?

Also I heard the backing plate on my automatic can be used on the 5speed as well. Is this true?

I'm planning to buy the 225mm exedy clutch kit on rockauto. I assume the standard throwout bearing will match with it?

And the transmission crossmember. Can I just use the automatic one and just buy a new transmission mount for it?

Also the flywheel. Where can I get one? and anything special I need to look out for? 5 bolt/6 bolt, size?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

5 or 6 bolt is what engine. 5 L16 and 18. 6 L20b and Z's. If you have the L20b, you can use the z flywheel that the clutch and tranny are already a "set" throw out , fork, and such. I had the 3 speed auto, thought about a 5speed, but went with a maxima 4 speed overdrive. A little tight but I fucking love it! And it flys on the freeway now...

• Like 1

Any clutch arm from a '74 up 620, '74 up 280z or zx (non turbo) 810/Maxima, S110 200sx, S12 200sx (to '86.5) or 720 will work. The release bearing collar is specific to the clutch you use. You probably want to by a new one so get a kit that includes a matching collar.

Nothing from the automatic can be used. Unbolt the flex plate (with starter ring) from the crankshaft. Behind it covering the end of the crankshaft is another small clip on cover plate. This MUST be removed to get the flywheel on.

5 bolt cranks come on all L16/18 engines. All engines L20B, Z, CA, KA, SD, and LD series are six bolt.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for that info. I have a question regarding the throwout bearing assembly. I believe a new collar comes with the clutch kit. But from what I understand, the collar attaches to the assembly correct? I don't have the assembly at all (the part that the clutch fork moves). Or am I wrong and they are all one unit?

Also, I'm sure I need new flywheel bolts to bolt the flywheel on. But can I use the bolts that hold the transmission on from the automatic and use it with the manual?

Oh can I use a 280z backing plate and flywheel? I found a local that has them.

EDIT: I need this. Does a new one come with this?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I think some do when they are supplying a generic pressure plate that fits some other engine. If buying a pressure plate you will have to know exactly what one so you can order the correct release collar. There are several, actually many, 225mm PPs out there and lots of different collars. Only way to be sure is get both from Nissan

• Like 1

Ok thanks fellows. I just bought a bunch of parts from rock auto and nissan dealer

-exedy clutch kit. comes with release bearing

-master and slave cylinders

-release bearing from National brand. Seems to come as a whole assembly

-tranny input and output seals

-tranny mount

-rear main seal

-6 flywheel bolts

-retainer spring for the release bearing assembly

-rubber shift boot

dust boot for clutch fork

Can I use the flywheel and backing plate here from a 280z?

01414_99RgIR1huqr_600x450.jpg

Anything else I need?

Can I use the bolts from my automatic tranny to mount the new 5speed on?

So the automatic tranny crossmember doesn't work?

Do clutch kits come with the bolts to bolt pressure plate to flywheel?

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hey quick question. I just removed the automatic transmission and now trying to install the pilot bearing. Does the crank have an old one in there already? I've looked inside and do not see one, but I can't seem to install the new one without force

• Like 1

Hey quick question. I just removed the automatic transmission and now trying to install the pilot bearing. Does the crank have an old one in there already? I've looked inside and do not see one, but I can't seem to install the new one without force

Being an Automatic, I don't believe it does...it's been 12 years since I did my swap and I can't remember if it did or not...

• Like 1

Only if the engine was originally a standard and swapped in. Not wort it to put pilot bushings in and automatic that will never use them.

32202-30000..... Used on everything from the Roadster on except A series engines. L,Z,VG,SD,KA easier to list what it isn't on. Used through 2004 at least. About $5.

Be sure to remove the cover plate on the end of your crankshaft. It's to help align the torque converter and NOT to be used with a standard flywheel.

s-l400.jpg 

Cover on.................................................................. Cover removed.

motorZ24crankauto.jpg  motorZ24crankstandard.jpg

• Like 1