5 lug swap on kingpins mklotz70

I got a wild hair.....as is typical. I stopped by the s/y and picked up about $85 worth of '85 Toyota pickup parts. Any earlier and they had solid rotors instead of vented. Anyway.....

I've been wanting to look into this mod for years now...ever since I figured out the bearing adapters for the 720 hub onto the kingpin spindle. The Toy's, Luv's, D50's, HB's, 720 ALL use the same inner/outer bearings. The hubs have different depths, so if the kingpin spindle is not long enough, it's over. I'd prefer not to mod the hub, but it may just come down to that. At this point, I'm just exploring the option. I'm not committed to creating a kit for this, but as with just about everything else I do, I thought I'd share the info. :)

I didn't bother with the second rotor....why pay for something I don't need. Just in case the calipers/brackets are different left to right, I bought both of those. In case this doesn't pan out, I bought both hubs because I can modify them to work on the Hardbody spindles.....then sell them and get my money back :)

100_0633.jpg

This is the current bearing adapter that is set up for the '79 inner seal....seal is too small.

100_0634.jpg

This is one I use for bench testing. It uses the D50 inner seal like the old kits. Seal is too big. So...new bearing adapter will have to have the OD adjusted.

100_0635.jpg

So, will the '79 seal(same OD as the D50 seal) fit in the hub? Nope. So...adapter def has to be changed.

100_0636.jpg

100_0637.jpg

There's close to .150" clearance between the back of the rotor and the bracket. I'd need a new rotor to measure exactly how much. I'd prefer to stick with 3/8" plate, but 1/4" would certainly make this mod easier.

100_0639.jpg

The hub is deeper than the 720 hub. There is not enough room for the washer/nut. If I consider shortening the inner adapter by about .120" and use the Dorman spindle nut instead of the stock one, it will just work. 1/4" plate for the bracket would buy me more room and may be required since I did these measurements with a used rotor. The other option is to cut the outer bearing shelf in the hub about 1/8" to gain the room for the nut.

100_0640.jpg

100_0641.jpg

100_0654.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_0673.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...more pics of the fit with the current bracket. Close. The spacers would need to be a bit shorter and the bracket "wings" spread out just a bit, but certainly "doable" :)

100_0644.jpg

100_0647.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0653.jpg

Toyota bolts compared to what I run in the brake kit. They would probably work fine. They are the same size/thread, just different lengths.

100_0661.jpg

Not sure if I'll pursue this anytime soon. I'd have to get a new rotor to verify that I can use 3/8" plate. Using 1/4" plate would seriously change how I designed the bracket. I'd prefer to not have to mod the hub....quite the pain for the person doing this mod to their rig. Kit price would probably be a bit higher than the 720 kit($260) since it will not be a high demand item. Several pre-orders might convince me to follow through :)

As for the rear end....redrilling the axles is probably the way to go, but I haven't checked into it yet.

Thanks guys!

flatcat19......LOL!!! That's awesome!! She's just my type :) Not that I want pics like that popping up in all my threads, but I certainly enjoyed this one :) Any pics of her backside?? LOL!!! Boobs can be faked...the butt never lies!!

Thanks guys!

flatcat19......LOL!!! That's awesome!! She's just my type :) Not that I want pics like that popping up in all my threads, but I certainly enjoyed this one :) Any pics of her backside?? LOL!!! Boobs can be faked...the butt never lies!!

I'll see what I can find for ya.

Her name is Gemma Atkinson.

Maybe wants to help out in finding more oic's of her for Mike?

The name helps a lot!! tons of pics of her....I much prefer the brunette ones! :)

THUMB_33154.jpeg

oops...deal breaker....she's 5'9" ....oh well....it's not like I was going to get close enough to lick her or anything :)

The name helps a lot!! tons of pics of her....I much prefer the brunette ones! :)

THUMB_33154.jpeg

oops...deal breaker....she's 5'9" ....oh well....it's not like I was going to get close enough to lick her or anything :)

Yeah. She's as hot as these 720 hubs on a kingpin truck!

The brake caliper brakets that match these...are they gonna be dual piston caliper compatible?

uummm......these are 5 lug toyota hubs. I already do a kit for the 720 hubs. Sorry....no dual piston on either. I tend to go for the most "bang for the buck" and the second piston just isn't really worth the price. Honestly.....I just hadn't even really thought about doing dual piston setups. My kits cost enough as it is....I'm not sure many guys would be that interested in using a more expensive caliper. The single piston stuff is much more readily available in the s/y.....another reason. Is there a common toyota with dual pistons?

The four piston calipers for vented rotors come from 4x4's only. They started in 76 on the landcruiser and in 84 on the pickups. They all seem to share the same bolt spacing, and i have yet to see any mounting offset difference. They are a fixed mount caliper though. There is also a version of the same caliper that is for solid rotors, came on the 79-83 4x4 pickups. These solid rotor versions are the ones that fit the early Z cars. Indicating that they have shared the same bolt spacing as Nissan did on certain models, Maybe all? 100mm bolt spacing comes to mind.

The 4x4 calipers would look very cool inside the wheels, and they are very readily available since they came on the 4runners until 94? too.

Toyota also had at least two different versions of rotor for the 2wd trucks. 1/2 ton version and 1 ton version. And they require a different caliper too, cant remember if the rotor was bigger though. Will have to get out my spec book(havent moved it to the new house yet). Could not find the difference on rockauto yet. IIRC the hubs and spindles are the same though.

if this becomes an option later on down the line, im in. i just started getting into the idea of 6 lug but 5 lug has way more options.

i really like the mooneyes wheels on the 320 and i believe theyre 5 lug only

on another note, new concepts/ideas from mklotz70 and smoking hot women all in one thread = win win!

:blink: holy jeebus is that chick hot!.....

I'm about done playing with this. If someone want's to pony up for a set, then I'll have a reason to finish sooner than later. :) I did play with it some more, but I'm about out of play time.....so it got put in the shed.

I was looking at the option of redrilling the rear axles.....not really an option. I was going to use the rotor as a drill jig. I think it could be done, but the backside of the axle is not flat....lug studs would not like to be on an uneven surface. I looked and even called a buddy...no spare axle laying around to look at. Oh well, there's a couple of other advantages to swapping the entire rear end out for a Toy one.....so I dropped it.

th_100_5799.jpg

100_0699.jpg

100_0700.jpg

..so I bought a new rotor to be sure of clearances. Played a bit with a shorter bearing adapter. Still comes up a bit short on the cotter pin going in the spindle nut/hole. I could do the plates out of 5/16"...but I'd prefer 3/8". The other option would be to turn down the "shelf" the outer bearing seats against. Same mod as done for this hub to fit on the HB spindles. Took some measurements of the shelf. The cotter pin would fit perfect without the washer, so I measured the washer for an idea of how much to take off the shelf. Shelf turned out to be about .240" and I would need to take about .110" off that.

100_0701.jpg

100_0702.jpg

100_0711.jpg

100_0712.jpg

100_0718.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0744.jpg

100_0745.jpg

100_0746.jpg

100_0748.jpg

100_0749.jpg

I found this rather interesting....the 720 caliper that I use on the other disc kit fit just fine!! Put the pads in good position, centered the caliper bracket over the rotor....if the hub's outer bearing shelf were cut a bit for the cotter pin, this would be a done deal at this point :)

100_0706.jpg

100_0707.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0709.jpg

100_0710.jpg

For those asking about multi-piston options. I had a HB dual piston caliper....played with it a bit. Even though it's designed for a bigger rotor, it actually fit on this one really nicely. It would definitely need a major mod to the design of the bracket....but it would allow dual pistons behind a 14" rim.

100_0719.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0722.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0724.jpg

100_0725.jpg

100_0726.jpg

100_0729.jpg

100_0732.jpg

100_0736.jpg

100_0737.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0734.jpg

I thought it was cool that all 3 calipers had the same spacing on the mounting holes. Used the same bolts too.

100_0733.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

so mklotz70, i am looking at these pics and see a level of difficulty to swapping 6 to 5 lug. however, if it is simpler that i assume please let me know what i gotta do. i saw a 520/521 in japan with supremes and i think it would look really cool to do this. im obviously being realistic in that i will already have the truck set up and running and have been driven for a while before i consider this swap. and a little bitz of moniez too.

(suscribed)*

oh- or would it just be easier to get the 6 to 5 adaptor?

The adapter would be easier and way faster...just depends on if the rims have enough offset to work.

Like I posted earlier....I won't get back to these for quite some time.....unless there's a couple of prepaid orders to make it worth my time. I had several guys say they wanted SS exh flanges....I gave in and had them made without waiting for preorders. I've sold one :(

• 2 years later...