DATSUN HOTWHEELS (and some other ones)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

VTR, quit finding all this super cool stuff. It makes me sad inside because I don't own any of it.

But matchbox making Japanese toys makes me happy so it's ok.

• Like 3

As a perfectionist and modeller, you all should know that I will never leave well enough alone.  Here's a new project.  510 Goon with some BBS-like wheels I confiscated from a Maisto Dodge Viper.  I'm going to be building my own interior, glass and probably putting bumpers and a few other things on here.  Now for a teaser:

Started with this one

IMG_20150620_145925_279_zpsctrsyo2v.jpg

Here's a first coat of primer after stripping and with the Viper wheels.  I painted the center of the wheels with Testor's Turnsignal Amber after letting all the metallic settle to the bottom of the bottle.  Gives a nice plated gold appearance.

IMG_20150725_113212_522_zpsodqxpmo1.jpg

IMG_20150725_113050_133_zps8hurch46.jpg

• Like 3

It's the Iron Man monster truck. we will see if I can actually pull it off anywhere near as nicely as the ones I see posted on here. I should also thank Redeye for the idea. I'm 100% stealing it, no originality whatsoever. :)

• Like 3

20150725_232232_zpsl9uz8t0p.jpg

20150725_232240_zpsgbnm3be5.jpg

Monster truck is basically finished. I just need to attach the rear bumper. Flatcat giving me crap about it motivated me to work on it tonight. The Orange lifted truck is only mocked up. Not sure how I'm really going to get it close to that stance, but it will happen.

• Like 2

So, what do you guys do with all your hotwheels? I don't have a display or anything but loads of boxes full of unopened cars. I don't want to be one of those guys who has a wall COVERED in hot wheels, but I'd like to display them and need some ideas on how to do so...tastefully.

• Like 2

When I used to display packaged cars they would get faded, the cards that is. Kills any value they have. 

If it is a car I want displayed, I buy a second one and remove it from package. Kids get all loose cars and I see them all the time. 

The only cars I do have on display are my 5+1 620s. They're sitting on the highest shelf I have. Free from cats and kids. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I have lots of multiples, and the singles do stay pretty sealed up. I just want to enjoy looking at them at home as it seems all the excitement is left at the store and its almost a shame to leave all the glorious colors and shapes stuffed away in a box for no one to admire.

I want to see your displays. One I've had hanging in the garage for ever my mother-in-law found at a flea market is nice, but not something I'd have in my house (call me stuck up) because it looks cheap, but like I said, its nice enough for a decent garage.

• Like 1