New guy!

ratbones

Hello new guy here from NC. I am picking up a 71 521 on June 1 and have been looking at all the trucks on here. I cant wait to get started on the little truck. It looks to be in good shape and I will get more pictures of it this weekend. He is asking $800 says it runs but needs a little work to get it drivable and has 67,000 miles on it!! Here are a few of what I was sent. I want to clean it up, drop it a few inches, brake swap, and DD it.

PART951304878497109.jpg

PART951304878522730.jpg

PART951304878553024.jpg

PART951304878632395.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great looking truck

just get rid of the wheels!

olddatsuns.com!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just buff it out and leave the Patina(the faded paint )

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to look at it this evening to see what all it needs. I am pretty sure that its going to need a gas tank to get it on the road. The wheels are for sure coming off along with the mirrors and i do plan on keeping the paint. I will get somemore pics when I look at it. Is there anything I should check out other then the normal stuff?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to look at it this evening to see what all it needs. I am pretty sure that its going to need a gas tank to get it on the road. The wheels are for sure coming off along with the mirrors and i do plan on keeping the paint. I will get somemore pics when I look at it. Is there anything I should check out other then the normal stuff?

So, do you even own it yet?

Things to look for? Brakes/suspension. Electrical/lighting. Speedo cables gonna be broken.

They're great little trucks. And like I said earlier, that truck looks like someone took care of it.

You should have little to worry about-but if you're looking for things to dicker the price with...

But all in all...

You're gonna love it.

We do.

Well I went and look the truck over last night and was very impressed with it. The only problem was that we couldn't get it to pump up the slave cylinder. I think that the clutch master cylinder is leaking. The paint on the hood doesn't match the rest of the truck very well so I think I will end up doing a rising sun on it. The interior was in great shape other then the dash. Im not going to be able to pick it up until june 1st but its at a buddys house so its not going anywhere. I am ready to get it and start working on it!

Rockauto has parts or Mybe the local parts store. master cylinders and brake cylinder. if you get these best to get 2 as most are made in taiwan and go out every 5 years that I have seen. If Japan made they you only need one.

If I ever got another 521 I would ck the King Pins(521 use not ball joints) on the front and the A arm Bushings.Kingpins are like a doorhinge. they do wear and cost alot to get fixed.

If any question just ake your time and people will walk you thru it on here . These are simple trucks just soem poeple get carried away and start hacking or bypassing eleltrical thinking they are smartonly to fuck it up.

only oother bad thing about 521 is the fuse box gets alot of corrossion and lights stop working ect. its all in the fuse box area and get new fuses as they can break . the old ones will separate inside but still look good to the eye.

olddatsuns.com is your Datsun headquarters for infor. ck it out and read everything

Hello new guy here from NC. I am picking up a 71 521 on June 1 and have been looking at all the trucks on here. I cant wait to get started on the little truck. It looks to be in good shape and I will get more pictures of it this weekend. He is asking $800 says it runs but needs a little work to get it drivable and has 67,000 miles on it!! Here are a few of what I was sent. I want to clean it up, drop it a few inches, brake swap, and DD it.

PART951304878497109.jpg

Welcome aboard~ and nice *almost* truck! Facinating coincidence tho~ my 71 started out dark red as well, and somebody painted it (now horribly faded) Chevy orange! Set 'em side by side~ and they'd look like twins.... Mine'd be the ugly, evil twin...

Check the wheels for direction of the "sawtooth spoke" pattern~ if they're a matched set you should have two clockwise, and two counters. If so you've got a full set of what I believe was a factory option Pathfinder wheelset~ and to the best of my knowledge the aftermarket never made both CW & CCW wheels. Used to have a set on my old '91 Rodeo....

Datsun002nlp-2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I got the truck home and got it on the road!!!. I had to replace the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder but that was no big deal. It needs new kingpins BAD but I think i have a line on some, thanks nismo dr! The tires are way too big for it and I cant stand the wheels so I have my eye out for a new set. It needs a new gas tank the PO said it was leaking. It also needs a new dash. I made my first mod today, yellow highbeams! I also got a few pics this evening.

My plans are a 3" drop, new tires and wheels, flairs, and drive the shit out of it for now.

6-10-11010.jpg

6-10-11030.jpg

6-10-11024.jpg

Good job.

Oddly, I like the white wall tires. But yes. They are too big.

I'm curious if you can snap a few pics of your steering wheel/steering hub.

I want to see what it looks like against the housing.

Congrats on ownership though. Another 521 saved!

Good job.

Oddly, I like the white wall tires. But yes. They are too big.

I'm curious if you can snap a few pics of your steering wheel/steering hub.

I want to see what it looks like against the housing.

Congrats on ownership though. Another 521 saved!

I will get some in the morning. You mean a side view? Here is one i have and another just because i like it.

PART951304878632395.jpg

6-10-11033.jpg

That one pic you have is what prompted me asking.

I've read that there is a huge gap between the housing and the hub.

I've also read that the return on the turn signals don't work when a GT wheel is installed.

What's your take?

I looked and there is no gap in mine and turn signals have been working fine too. I have only noticed once when the lights didnt come on but the steering wheel was slightly turned to the right.

Datsun004.jpg

Welcome dude! Rad pickup biggrin.gif I just did a 3 inch drop, looks rad. and i just did yellow high beams...great minds think alike i guess tongue.gif. How did you do your high beams?

Thanks! All I did was make jumpers to go from the stock connecter that way if I ever change it back it wont be any trouble. I got the rear dropped last night and hope to get the front done this evening.

So I have been working on the truck the last few days and got it backon the road this evening. Got it lowered and new tires on it I put 225-50-15s on it on 15x8 wheels. It is sitting on the bumpstops right now so I am going to have to trim them.

I just took it up the road and back and when i hit the brakes it pulled hard to the right and then the pedal went all the way to the floor. :frantics: So I coasted to a stop and pumped them a few times and got some pedal back so i turned around and left it in first gear to get back to the house and by when I got home I had no brakes at all. So tomorrow I guess I will tear it back apart and see what happened and just go ahead and get all new brake parts. :crying: Any way I snapped a few pics.

6-22-2011022.jpg

6-22-2011016.jpg

6-22-2011017.jpg

6-22-2011025.jpg