Mt. Rainier cruise

Guest Rick-rat

Guest Rick-rat

We tried to go to Mt. Rainier but us cheap ass ratsun people did not want to pay to get in, I checked and Sept 24 is a free admission day into the park. Lets try to do it this year

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like fun, hopefully i will have a better experiance than the last time I was on that road, I was zooming down the west side in my 47 chevy pickup taking the corners like I was driving a sports car when my steering column connection fell apart, I was lucky I didn't go in the ditch or roll it, somehow it stayed in the road, my buddy was behind me and luckly didn't plow into me trying to keep up. We put it back together in the dark with a flashlight and some wrenches, I drove to his house in graham, and I fixed it better the next day, has not fell apart since, that was 10 to 15 years ago. Sept. 24 2011 is a saterday, are you planning on doing the loop, or just to the lodge and back? There is a hang glinding site near morton wa. if the loop is the plan, I would be interested in stopping at the site if the weather is right, there would be several people flying, and some fun can be had as a spectator, there are usually some interesting landings unless times have changed.

Sounds like fun, hopefully i will have a better experiance than the last time I was on that road, I was zooming down the west side in my 47 chevy pickup taking the corners like I was driving a sports car when my steering column connection fell apart, I was lucky I didn't go in the ditch or roll it, somehow it stayed in the road, my buddy was behind me and luckly didn't plow into me trying to keep up. We put it back together in the dark with a flashlight and some wrenches, I drove to his house in graham, and I fixed it better the next day, has not fell apart since, that was 10 to 15 years ago. Sept. 24 2011 is a saterday, are you planning on doing the loop, or just to the lodge and back? There is a hang glinding site near morton wa. if the loop is the plan, I would be interested in stopping at the site if the weather is right, there would be several people flying, and some fun can be had as a spectator, there are usually some interesting landings unless times have changed.

I used to live in Graham, right off 224th & Meridian :lol:

• 3 months later...

I was just on hwy 12 last week....the have construction going on 12...I had to divert through Mt Ranier nat'l forest...they didn't charge me, but then again, I may have been in a completely different area than where you are heading. You might want to check road construction first. Everyone seems to be trying to burn up "end of the fiscal year money" by doing road work.

I was just on hwy 12 last week....the have construction going on 12...I had to divert through Mt Ranier nat'l forest...they didn't charge me, but then again, I may have been in a completely different area than where you are heading. You might want to check road construction first. Everyone seems to be trying to burn up "end of the fiscal year money" by doing road work.

Where on 12 was the work being done mike?

hhmmmmm....on a saturday....I just might have to come along. I won't be driving a datsun, but be a good excuse for a drive. :)

I might be going, I have some friends up there I would visit in the area at a hanggliding site 5 miles east of morton, is this run end up at the rainer lodge? I asked earlier in this thread about that but didn't get an answer to the question. Does this run just go up to the lodge and back down the same side/road or does it continue down the east side and end up in packwood then back towards morton and then up 7 towards tacoma? From the sound of it, it does not. I suppose that would be a long run for some ratsuners, it would be close to a 400 mi. day for me.

Guest Rick-rat

Last year when me and Paco went up on free day we went up Hwy 7 to Paradise then down past Reflection lake, up Cayuse pass and then up to Sunrise and came back 410 through Enumclaw an Puyallup to make a loop around the mountain. I think it took 5 to 6 hours for us to do this. If the weather is good this is a really good trip

I might be going, I have some friends up there I would visit in the area at a hanggliding site 5 miles east of morton, is this run end up at the rainer lodge? I asked earlier in this thread about that but didn't get an answer to the question. Does this run just go up to the lodge and back down the same side/road or does it continue down the east side and end up in packwood then back towards morton and then up 7 towards tacoma? From the sound of it, it does not. I suppose that would be a long run for some ratsuners, it would be close to a 400 mi. day for me.

Not sure I want to go up I-5...maybe we could go north at Carson, to Randle, then meet them in Elbe? Depending on time, I'd like to see the hang gliding location too :)

Has anyone made the run your talking about before, threw carson to the lodge? How long did it take?

The road from Morton to Elbe is pretty straight and i think it`s mostly 55 mph so it doesn`t take very long between those two towns at all..

The road from Morton to Elbe is pretty straight and i think it`s mostly 55 mph so it doesn`t take very long between those two towns at all..

I know the road well, have flown hanggliders in the area for almost 20 years till they started putting gates on all the roads to keep people out/from dumping there garbage. What mike is talking about is meeting everybody in elbe after approximatly 3 1/2 hrs. of driving, and then driving up the mountain and back down and then still having to drive over 2 hrs. on I 5(the short way) to get home. Another senario is to meet at the lodge which will take us almost 4 1/2 hrs.(190 mi.) and meet the rest of you there, then returning home would take just as long unless we returned by I 5 which would take 3 hrs.(160 mi.). It's a long day of driving, don't know if I love my NL that much. :rolleyes: