Javin's 78 Datsun Pickup

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent last night looking for all the hardware to mount some stuff. Got the hood trim and grill put on. Was going to put the chrome bumper on but unfortunately, I have no idea where my bolts went for it. <_< Anyone know what size are used?

I haw a bunch ofspare bolts that are the same size. But I don't remember what size try are. :/ if I get time I can take a look tomorrow if u want.

If you don't mind. No hurry.

I want to replace most of the screws/bolts throughout the truck if I can find a good source for them. But those I need size info for those for sure. I think the rest of them I have at least one original.

Today's goals:

See if I can source some Bolts and screws.

Rebuild my heater box.

- contact radiator shop and have them test for leaks/reseal

- Source some foam used on the boxes...

- Clean the shit out of the box!

- Clean up all clips and possibly paint the box with krylon fusion plastic paint (black).

dont paint the box!!!!! a good cleaning will do wonders, i think if you paint it it will look like :poop:. maybe you could armor all it to make it look better?

Yeah, I know better... I have never seen a painted plastic box look good. I don't know why I thought mine could be different... Thanks for the kick in the pants and setting me straight. I will clean it up well and hope that it meets my standards. Armor all wont be used though :P

Alright, a little history as to why my Heater is OUT of my truck... Back in the day my heater valve was leaking, there was an ugly noise, and would only blow cold air (and a bunch of shit all over the cab). So I opened the heater up and found this:

P1010127.jpg

and the noise maker (wad of electrical tape):

P1010128.jpg

So I pulled it and rerouted the hoses.

Today I started with the cover with cleaning and replacing the foam.

Before:

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

After

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Yes the white foam you see at the top is supposed to be there and like that. It was crushed and so dark on the before picture you can barely see it. I am not sure what I am going to do next on it, I need to go back out to the garage and bring in the next part.

I need to do this same thing to mine so bad. Mine leaks really bad out the vent door cause it never seals so it is always blowin out side air in my cab. Why don't ibjust close the fresh air vent you ask? Because all of my vent door cables are broken lol ask I have to manually actualte the doors. Super lame. Looks good tho. Im trying to get work done on mu truck today as well. Installed a oil catch can and started preping the passenger door for paint.

I actually have 2 entire heater assemblies I will be redoing. I wish I would have known you needed a cable. When I was chest deep in ripping the heater out of a parts truck I would have taken the cables with instead of fighting to get the damn things off! Boring wrecking yard has a 620 KC that has good cables...

Might have to start searching. Im tossing around the idea of a full alluminum dash. With all custom gauges. In which case I will be doing the cables in a slightly different way. Im unsure if I wanna commit to my streetfighter theam that much lol. Im already gonna redue all my interior in od green canvas. I might as well get my custom dash idea in there.

Done with the heater for now. I still need to fix my valve. I have 3 valves to choose from now though :) Here are the rest of the pictures I took. In case anyone is looking to do this to their box, 1/2" is the foam I am using and I got it at a fabric store (fabric depot to be exact). Seems most the original was that size but after 33 years of being smashed it looks like 1/8th in.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Now to try something else on the truck. Will update when I get stuff done.

Got my Bumper installed (thanks for the hardware sizes). I think I did something else but I cant remember... Played with some of the lights and refinished them. Found out I need a steering wheel puller... uh... thats all I think...

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Girlfriends dad found this in the garage and thought I would like it

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

If I put the bolts on the sides I think it would mount up better. It is still a cleanish bumper. Is it sad my project thread is just me undoing all the crap I did to it? Maybe I should start a thread of stupid things current owner did... I could start with mine: Stripping it down, removing the heater, and tagging it with glow in the dark paint... Tomorrow, I am going to see if I cant get the other heater core to this same point. I still really need a good valve. I am afraid that even if I rebuild mine, it will leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, Got my wire for my temp sender hooked up and my steering wheel installed. I attempted to sandblast some of the heater valve parts but the blaster/ compressor wasn't cooperating. Anyway, on to the oics.

Wheel installed:

IMG_20110530_205341.jpg

After about 30 min this is about as high as the temp got... does this seem right to you guys?

IMG_20110530_205322.jpg

Thanks skib. That makes me feel better. Instead of replacing the Temp Sender, I replaced the wire first and let it warm up. Seems to be functioning correctly.

I also replaced my side marker light, now all my lights function correctly. Blinkers work with the new electronic flasher unit. Feels like it is almost safe to drive!

Safe to drive... I don't understand. Anyways you didn't tell me you were in the military when I picked up the AC. Thanks for your service bro, hopefully I will be done with the Air Force soon.

The heater looks really nice by the way.