engine swap

can any one tell me where to get an sr24det motor cheap and trans its for a b110 that i just bought or instead should i do dual carbs in stead and bigger cam , chaged my mind im might go with a L20 motor and 5speed trans from a sunny truck

• Like 1
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, not to be a dick, but your thinking is incorrect from the get-go. Unless you make lawyer wages, you won't find any useable motor of SR anything for "cheap." If you do, there's a reason it's cheap.

Second, this is not a bolt-in affair. Judging from the question posed, you probably do not have the skills necessary to complete this task as it has the same difficulty as putting a 350 Chevy in a VW bug. Nothing fits right in, it all needs to be custom made. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, driveshafts. Not only that, a B110 does not have a drivetrain that will hold up to SR power for long. What you're thinking is certainly doable, but with lots of time and money.

Third, if you're on ratsun and you're looking for cheap, you're like 99% of the rest of us on here, and you're going to run out of money after buying a set of engine bearings.

Solution: Run the stock motor, do a cheap rebuild if necessary to make it run optimally. Drive and enjoy!

I think Matt's right. As much as we like to see modifications to the drive train to explore performance possibilities, we also have to make an assumption on the abilities of someone's unknown skills. This may seem harsh but there's a reason for it.

Too often a build is started with good intentions and ends early with the car butchered and scrapped for parts. They don't make these cars anymore so we have a responsibility to use them carefully and wisely. Almost for sure the 1200 was made before you were born and its possible that it will be passed on to someone else to enjoy.

First what do you want to accomplish? Ask yourself, is this sensible or is it like putting a Viper V10 into a 1200? Is it do able? A 4 cylinder is difficult, a V6 is at least twice as difficult, a V8 5 times that. Be honest, can you settle for something less that is easier? Keep in mind that the easier it is, the better the chance of a satisfactory outcome. Just changing or adding one thing can add several problems further along. A build should include weeks and weeks of research. Look at other similar builds and what was done, how it was done why it was done. Know everything about what you want to do, identify everything you don't know and learn about it. Know that no matter how ready you are there will be problems that you did not see coming.

If you have never done this before, I urge you to re-think this and settle for a 'simple' L20B swap. Adding 50% more power to a light 1200 can be very impressive.

Okay, not to be a dick, but your thinking is incorrect from the get-go. Unless you make lawyer wages, you won't find any useable motor of SR anything for "cheap." If you do, there's a reason it's cheap.

Second, this is not a bolt-in affair. Judging from the question posed, you probably do not have the skills necessary to complete this task as it has the same difficulty as putting a 350 Chevy in a VW bug. Nothing fits right in, it all needs to be custom made. Motor mounts, transmission mounts, driveshafts. Not only that, a B110 does not have a drivetrain that will hold up to SR power for long. What you're thinking is certainly doable, but with lots of time and money.

Third, if you're on ratsun and you're looking for cheap, you're like 99% of the rest of us on here, and you're going to run out of money after buying a set of engine bearings.

Solution: Run the stock motor, do a cheap rebuild if necessary to make it run optimally. Drive and enjoy!

i have the skill i`ve done other swaps that didnt bolt in i now i have to modifie the hole front end of the car and cut in to the fire wall and build new parts and if ih ave room in the rear i might throw in a jag rearend i have that from my friends car

modifie the hole front end...cut in to the fire wall...throw in a jag rearend i have that from my friends car

Sounds like a great idea! For every 1200 that gets butchered beyond repair and never finished -- the value of mine just goes up :D . Please keep us posted.

• Like 2

I think Matt's right. As much as we like to see modifications to the drive train to explore performance possibilities, we also have to make an assumption on the abilities of someone's unknown skills. This may seem harsh but there's a reason for it.

Too often a build is started with good intentions and ends early with the car butchered and scrapped for parts. They don't make these cars anymore so we have a responsibility to use them carefully and wisely. Almost for sure the 1200 was made before you were born and its possible that it will be passed on to someone else to enjoy.

First what do you want to accomplish? Ask yourself, is this sensible or is it like putting a Viper V10 into a 1200? Is it do able? A 4 cylinder is difficult, a V6 is at least twice as difficult, a V8 5 times that. Be honest, can you settle for something less that is easier? Keep in mind that the easier it is, the better the chance of a satisfactory outcome. Just changing or adding one thing can add several problems further along. A build should include weeks and weeks of research. Look at other similar builds and what was done, how it was done why it was done. Know everything about what you want to do, identify everything you don't know and learn about it. Know that no matter how ready you are there will be problems that you did not see coming.

If you have never done this before, I urge you to re-think this and settle for a 'simple' L20B swap. Adding 50% more power to a light 1200 can be very impressive.

im going to just throw in a rs20det motor and trans i`ve seen it done im just 16 but have the resoces and little skill but my dads friend has a shop thats where were going to do it and would a ford 9inch fit in the rear

Just to satisfy my curiosity, have you ever actually driven your car with an A series in it? The 1200 doesn't weigh very much and doesn't need 250HP to be fast or fun. A well tuned A14 or A15 and a 5-speed makes these pretty peppy...and they actually fit without ruining your car. They are very tough little engines that you can still get parts for pretty easily and they don't cost much to operate, maintain or repair. Electronic ignition, header, carb upgrades are all available. Spend some time and money improving the suspension and brakes. You might be surprised how a 1200 can drive. I'm just saying...

• Like 1

Just to satisfy my curiosity, have you ever actually driven your car with an A series in it? The 1200 doesn't weigh very much and doesn't need 250HP to be fast or fun. A well tuned A14 or A15 and a 5-speed makes these pretty peppy...and they actually fit without ruining your car. They are very tough little engines that you can still get parts for pretty easily and they don't cost much to operate, maintain or repair. Electronic ignition, header, carb upgrades are all available. Spend some time and money improving the suspension and brakes. You might be surprised how a 1200 can drive. I'm just saying...

Uh...no :rolleyes: .

Spend some time reading in the 1200 section on this site. Then check out datsun1200.com. There is TONS of info available. You'll find that most Ratsun members are very helpful but you will be expected to do a little research on your own. You also need to understand that about once a week we get a new member (usually in your age bracket) that shows up and wants to be spoon fed a step-by-step "how do I make my Datsun rocket powered while running on unicorn farts". It's your car and you can build it any way you want. We've all been where you are and understand completely. The guys responding to your original post are just speaking from experience. We'd all hate to see another project stalled because you bit off more than you could chew. When I first got my 1200 I was going to go rotary. I even bought an RX7 donor car but after I drove it around a little bit I decided against it. Then I was going to do a CA18DET. I did alot of research and read alot of other guys' build threads. After a while I came to the conclusion that, for my application, it was more cost and work than I really wanted to invest. Learn from other people's success and failures. In the end I wound up with an A15, 5-speed, H150 rearend and never looked back. I'm not suggesting you build the same car as me (or anyone else), but before you do anything you need to be honest with yourself about what you really want to end up with. Take into account your real budget and your real skill level. Then do your research. Then ask questions. In that order.

Uh...no :rolleyes: .

Spend some time reading in the 1200 section on this site. Then check out datsun1200.com. There is TONS of info available. You'll find that most Ratsun members are very helpful but you will be expected to do a little research on your own. You also need to understand that about once a week we get a new member (usually in your age bracket) that shows up and wants to be spoon fed a step-by-step "how do I make my Datsun rocket powered while running on unicorn farts". It's your car and you can build it any way you want. We've all been where you are and understand completely. The guys responding to your original post are just speaking from experience. We'd all hate to see another project stalled because you bit off more than you could chew. When I first got my 1200 I was going to go rotary. I even bought an RX7 donor car but after I drove it around a little bit I decided against it. Then I was going to do a CA18DET. I did alot of research and read alot of other guys' build threads. After a while I came to the conclusion that, for my application, it was more cost and work than I really wanted to invest. Learn from other people's success and failures. In the end I wound up with an A15, 5-speed, H150 rearend and never looked back. I'm not suggesting you build the same car as me (or anyone else), but before you do anything you need to be honest with yourself about what you really want to end up with. Take into account your real budget and your real skill level. Then do your research. Then ask questions. In that order.

well i really want to start easy will a dual carb and bigger cam and a new headerand bigger exsuats

To fit an SR20 engine in a 1200 you do not need to cut the firewall. It is tight but will fit.

If you add dual carb, bigger cam, new header and bigger exhaust to an A12, it will still be slower than a stock A14 engine swap. It will sound great and be fun to drive. But won't be fast.