Ever Rebuilt a Weber?

I have a Weber 32/36 that needs a rebuild. I think it needs an accelerator pump the most. It idles perfect and if you drive like a grandpa it runs good but as soon as you put a load on it (your foot into it) it bogs. So I am going to get a rebuild kit and would appreciate any knowledge from you all

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have rebuilt them. It's one of the easier carbs ever to work on.

First thing is make sure the throttle shaft is tight. If it moves side-to-side (diameter-wise) any noticeable amount, a Kit won't fix it.

Pump problems usually result in a buck (hesitation) rather than a bog (slow pickup). Check it out carefully while it's still on the engine. Does it pump a smooth, rich stream? That's good. If the stream is intermittent or missing on any part of the stroke it needs the kit.

Vacuum leaks also cause bucking problems, just like a bad pump would. The throttle shafts are the bad problem, but more common are leaks at the end of vacuum hoses or diaphragms (most Datsun distributor cans are leaking!).

My advice is to not totally disassemble it. Don't take the throttle blades an choke blades apart. Just disassemble it enough to:

* rinse it out

* blow cleaner through each passage

* replace pump and gasket

Warnings:

* don't let the spring or ball fly out and get lost. It might help when you separate the top from the carb body to hold it in a box (in case small part falls out)

* carefully watch how the check valve goes together

* Make sure the top gasket is not put on backwards

Phone me if you have any questions and I can provide advice.

brought over his timing lite !!!!!!!!

This is a common trait!!!!!!

No timming light and no battery hold down with Datsun owners

I know!!!!!!!!!!!I too was cheap to buy timming light and battery hold down

LOL ! Hainz, you're so right! Ask Icehouse about someone who fried their Datsun recently because the bunjee tie-down failed... :mellow: poor car

Dual sidedrafts, rising sun hood, call it good.... :lol:

I'm going to start collecting timig lights I find at a swap meet or garage sale and then hand them out to Ratsun members... just so this isn't an issue again. You will all have a Bleach Issued Timing Light.

LOL That is so fukin funny!:D If I remember rite only 1 of my trucks has had a battery hold down. Wait.......that was 1 of my Toyotas!:blink: I did have a timing lite but it was lost somewhere along the way. Besudes that is what relatives and friends R 4:fu:

..someone who fried their Datsun recently because the bunjee tie-down failed...

You will all have a Bleach Issued Timing Light.

wasnt that stock? :P

seen it more than a real hold down too :lol:

will the bleach lights have a rising / ratsun on it? ill take one like that :cool:

This is a common trait!!!!!!

I know!!!!!!!!!!!I too was cheap to buy timming light and battery hold down

:D

cuz if you dont have a battery hold down (or a timing light) your probabaly not gonna be successful in rebuilding a simple carb (BTW was answered in the first reply) :glare:

so it only gets funnier :lol: