My AE86 Build

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get the rear diff mounted up to test fitment of the brackets. It's definitely going to need some adjustable links, but things look good otherwise:

DSC_2017.jpg

DSC_2018.jpg

Started to play with the rear fenders just to see what result I could get. I didn't spend too much time on them. I was more interested in finding the location of heavily rusted spots. The rubber edge trim is really a pain when it comes to this. I didn't roll the rear fender lips b/c if I end up putting flares on them, it would get cut anyway.

Driver-side:

DSC_2060.jpg

DSC_2061.jpg

DSC_2062.jpg

DSC_2063.jpg

DSC_2064.jpg

DSC_2065.jpg

DSC_2066.jpg

DSC_2073.jpg

DSC_2075.jpg

Passenger-side:

DSC_2067.jpg

DSC_2068.jpg

DSC_2069.jpg

DSC_2070.jpg

DSC_2071.jpg

I took a break from the body work to start touching the engine harness. I originally had two engine harnesses (both FWD CA18DE Pulsar harnesses), but I cannibalized one to get good connectors. The other I decided to map out and labeled each connector. Then in a genius stroke, I cut the harness in half, save for the MAF and CAS shielded cables. Did forget to label where I cut each wire on both sides of the cut though, so I had to label each ECU pin and then find the corresponding plugs. In the end it worked out though. I was able to eliminate roughly 5' of overall wiring on each strand and routed everything so it's not too obvious across the engine.

32.jpg

DSC_7143-1.jpg

DSC_7144-1.jpg

DSC_2354.jpg

DSC_2355.jpg

DSC_2357.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2358.jpg

DSC_2362.jpg

DSC_2369.jpg

These are a few of the free wires in the bay (others are mostly ground wires I haven't trimmed out or those running to the ingition switch or gauges). These go to the fuel pump relay/efi relay/efi safety relay and I haven't decided on a location for those just yet.

DSC_2370.jpg

These are the wires that I haven't hooked up from the ECU, either b/c they're components are being eliminated, they're grounds that I still have to run (2 or 3 of the wires), or the components will be mounted right beside the ECU/in an undetermined, such as the efi relay/safety relay .

DSC_2365.jpg

This is all the wiring that I have stored in case I need some extra length down the road, or extra plugs.

DSC_2363.jpg

DSC_2364.jpg

I also started working on how I'm going to finalize the in car wiring. I picked up an S2000 Start Button and found a nice place to mount it.

DSC_2349.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2351.jpg

DSC_2371.jpg

DSC_2372.jpg

DSC_2375.jpg

DSC_2353.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

CANewInjectorPosition1.jpg

CANewInjectorPosition2.jpg

CANewInjectorPosition3.jpg

CANewInjectorPosition4.jpg

CANewInjectorPosition5.jpg

CANewInjectorPosition6.jpg

To:

DSC_2825.jpg

DSC_2826.jpg

DSC_2827.jpg

DSC_2829.jpg

DSC_2830.jpg

DSC_2832.jpg

DSC_2835.jpg

The machine shop still has a couple hours of machining to do on it to clean up the edges and they said they're going to polish it up. They still have to match the taper on the ITB bores as well. The figure '8' piece on the head flange had to be redesigned due to restrictions caused by the type of CNC machine they have. They're going to make a 1/2"-3/4" thick spacer flange that will have those curves included.

Well, I've been nervous about actually sizing it up against the head. I've only been able to test fitment by printing my workflow images from AutoCad/Inventor. Seems everything is going to be okay though:

DSC_2836.jpg

DSC_2845.jpg

DSC_2843.jpg

DSC_2842.jpg

DSC_2840.jpg

DSC_2839.jpg

DSC_2838.jpg

DSC_2837.jpg

It's not seated completely against the head in the images. I need to clearance the bolt holes a tad bit. Good thing is that all the cylinder ports and the coolant passage line up as I intended them to.

I had the bore milled close to the Silvertop ITB bore. It's actually a little undersized. I planned on using the BT ITBs from the get go, but the ST bore was easier to design. The BT bore will solve any alignment issues that are present.

DSC_2861.jpg

DSC_2863.jpg

DSC_2865.jpg

DSC_2866.jpg

DSC_2867.jpg

DSC_2868.jpg

DSC_2869.jpg

DSC_2870.jpg

DSC_2871.jpg

DSC_2872.jpg

DSC_2874.jpg

DSC_2876.jpg

DSC_2878.jpg

DSC_2879.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked up some new shoes for the front. Now I can start working on the rear axle. I guess the next purchase will be a set of axle shafts for the 8.8 so I can start working on getting the rear wheels and tires.

DSC_4439.jpg

DSC_4440.jpg

DSC_4463.jpg

DSC_4466.jpg

DSC_4467.jpg

DSC_4471.jpg

DSC_4472.jpg

DSC_4474.jpg

DSC_4477.jpg

DSC_4478.jpg

Not at full lock, but I seem to have quite a bit of space to spare. Should be more work on the fenders than anything else.

DSC_4480.jpg

DSC_4481.jpg

DSC_4487.jpg

this build is the only reason i have an account here haha. im going to be doing the same thing and i found this. i cant wait to see it done. would love to see a video of it started once you get it running. do u have the turbo relocator from flipside customs?

Holy schweet ass build batman! Just found this thread and damn! Major props on all the work and that custom intake is sexual :wub: I'm currently building up a buddies 81' Starlet and will be using alot of AE86 parts as well as that ford diff. Older Yota's are almost as cool as Datsuns :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing recent. The heat in San Antonio has been horrible. My garage has a west facing door, so working on the car at 4-6PM in 105-110* heat hasn't been working. Currently I've been working on getting the rear axles ordered so I can get the diff built and the rear wheels ordered. I think I'd have a more flexible work space if I could get the car on wheel dollies. Plus I can finish the brake system with lines and rear calipers and be able to pull the car in and out of the garage if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been talking with the guys in the weld shop at work. They had someone dump a bunch of stainless steel containers that used to hold chemicals for working on the planes. They asked if I could use any of them for personal use:

Fuel Cell

FuelTank2.jpg

Surge Tank

SurgeTank.jpg

They're going to start work on them this week. The fuel cell will be right around 15 gallons...maybe a touch under, and the surge tank should hold another 5 gallons (maybe a bit more after I have it reshaped to drain to the engine feed fitting.

I'm hoping the machine shop can get my ITB manifold finished too. They've been busy machining parts for the aircraft so my part had to be put on hold. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.