LZ on auto tranny

I am getting a z24 motor soon and was planning on fixing it up and making a LZ with it for my 510.I thought about it recently and came to the conclusion that I may not be able to do it.If my dime comes stock with a l16 then z motor or l20b would have a different flywheel.Seeing that I need a flex plate deal would I need to use one from a l20b or z motor in order to use it on my auto tranny?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L16/18 are 5 bolt and the L20B is a 6 bolt crank. In order to use your L16 automatic you would need a 6 bolt L20B/L24/L26/L28/Z20/Z22 or Z24 flex plate and the 6 hole spacer plate between it and the crank, very important. (the RWD KA24E auto flex plate looks the same but I don't know for sure)

Try to find an '84 or newer Z24 automatic and swap the removable bell from yours to convert to L series. Keep the Z24 torque converter and flex plate. Now you have an L3N71B with locking torque converter.

Think of the torque converter as one electric fan turned on and blowing at another fan that's turned off. The one will turn the other and transmit power to it by moving air. As you can see there will be some slippage losses.

An automatic trans is similar but uses a liquid instead of air but there are still some losses... good when stopped so the engine can continue to run. Today's torque converters are extremely good but there is always going to be a small loss at higher speeds. A locking torque converter physically locks the driving and the driven parts at highway speeds, to eliminate any slippage and lower engine RPMs. The gas mileage will increase slightly and the transmission will also run a lot cooler.

This is and extremely simplified example of an automatic trans.