GRIMACE

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

got the correct inner tierod/dogbone for the drivers side for grimace just need to get motivated to replace it and take a few moments from working on the green 521 and its been a few years  but i finally decide to go thru the hassle and pay to get my tan 521 inspected and get a title for it i got in apache junction a few years ago that has a running L20b  and i have a 620 bed on it and the guy i got it from never put it in his name

• 4 weeks later...

no new updates on grimace other than the idiot who was working on the paint and bodywork only used filler primer to cover bare metal areas and now it is starting to rust, cant believe i have had grimace since 2005 and still not done

• 1 month later...

i had another guy contact me  on tuesday about wanting to buy grimace and he has to talk with his wife and will get back with me by sunday, i have 2 other guys interested in my 620 king cabs and some of my 620 parts.

so today a fellow datsun /ratsun member from cali who moved here came by to help me with my nephews 620 and he looked at my grimace and he might help out and he says i should put a KA in my 521 if the guy from new mexico who is interested in buying it changes his mind

had another quote from a painter friday in case the guy from new mexico changes his mind about buying grimace, guy has a shop by me and quoted me 2k to finish the body work and paint it and said it would be done in a month. im going to see his shop and his projects he is working on. i hope to either sell it or have it ready by the july eagle rock event

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy carlos might be interested in buying grimace since he sold his 521 that had a KA in it last year and he wants to get another 521. i told him he can also have my tan 521 also if he wants. i am continuing to thin out the datsun corral and all the extra parts for 521/620

• Like 1

moved it recently on concrete slab to make space so i could put bed from nephews 620 between grimace and my red 620 kc so can do some measuring of his frame to see if need to adjust torsion bar bolts and easier access to removing a set of lowering blocks

i hate the monsoon season cuz of asshole i paid to paint my truck did a shitty job and now i gotta go find another paint shop to correct the crappy work that i paid someone a year ago to do. i hope that karma gets him soon

Edited by gene knight

moved truck around on concrete slab so i could get 1 of my 620 kc ready for possible buyer to make it easier to load onto trailer

Edited by gene knight
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

picked another bed that some one used green house paint with a paint brush now i have to remove all the green paint and fix all the dents and it is on my tan 521

Edited by gene knight
tan 521
  • gene knight changed the title to my 521 project formally known as grimace
  • 6 months later...

so i had my guys who do pool repairs and media blast come by and do some glass bead media blasting on my barracuda gasser and had them remove all the rust/ heavy coats of bondo that had appeared on my 521/grimace cuz of crappy painter who i paid to do body work and paint in 2017 and  screwed me on it and didnt finish the work now it is ready to go to paint shop to do final prep work b4 painting plum crazy purple so i can put it back together and put a few miles on it b4  i decide to sell it 

• 2 weeks later...

So i have a question about rear suspension why when i had 4 inch blocks on rear with 720 4x4 leaf springs i had tire clearance at bedside wheel well lip and monroe shocks running 205/70R14 in mags but now i have 3 inch angled cut blocks on 720 4x4 leaf springs and running mags with 195/75R14 and monroe shocks now I'm rubbing tire sidewall at bedside wheel well lip if I run air shocks will I have clearance and has anyone ran air shocks. I was thinking about doing that and running a viair  air compressor and switches and maybe a 3 gallon tank

Is this a different axle? Maybe one is wider?

Are these the same rims, mags? Maybe one set is wider?

Tires may be different widths at the widest point.

If you have a failure, the body will come down on the tire damaging one or the other or leaving you stranded. In a perfect world the tire and rim should be such that ANY lowering allows the tire to fit comfortably up inside the wheel well and NOT touch the fender at all. If it rubs now it will rub on above normal suspension travel too.

datzenmike: same axle, maybe rims are different sizes/ widths but I will have to confirm that.  I was told to use a baseball bat to roll out bedside wheel well lip for clearance

The 96 Nissan hardbody wheels I have and might use are 14x6 and have 205/70R14. I will have to try them out and see if they will work before I go air assisted setup

Edited by gene knight
  • 2 weeks later...

i found some air shocks that compressed is at 14 inches and extended goes to 24 inches i may use those or swap out 3 inch blocks and go with 2 inch blocks and a wedge for pinion angle or de-arch the springs i really need to swap out rear drums for disc brakes so i dont have to worry about brake shoe adjustment on rear.

had to replace brake line that goes from M/C to brass T on passenger side firewall was leaking due to guy at parker store did wrong flare and he no longer works there since last year, he ventured onto something else, found a body shop that can finish body work and paint and he says done in 3 weeks, i have seen his work and does not over extend himself like the guy i paid before to do the work and this guy does not ask for money upfront either. hope to have it at upcoming summer events done and driving

• Like 1