GRIMACE

after our desert datsun pre x-mas gathering/picnic me, ben(fun5ten), rich(rv510) were working on Grimace tonight/last night around 4pm and was doing some electrical testing of wires and made some adjustments to wires checked to see if fuel pump was still an issue-yep it was so we replaced it with the fuel pump that has the screws on top(5 or 6) and prior to starting it up we made sure that pump was working good--yay, finished with installation of fuel pump cranked it over got it running but we were having issues with idle did some adjusting of carb and timing, but when timing/distributor adjusting we were maxed out so we turned lower mounting bracket(the 1 that bolts to block and slides over dist. shaft housing) 180* and did some adjusting then it backfired and blew of muffler, so we returned bracket back to where it was when we got it running good and now it won't start. any ideas why it won't start now? it cranks good. we are planning on this friday morning to see if we can get it to run maybe change out single point distributor to a matchbox type.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well got back to working on Grimace today with the help of ben(fun5ten) from desert datsun crew. replaced dizzy with a matchbox type and a accel coil did some fine tuning of carb/timing runs smoother now. next is to reinstall cab mounts, install both brake and clutch master cylinders and install new metal lines and bleed brakes/clutch slave cylinder and possibly take it for a quick spin around the block

was working on Grimace today after getting the 3rd degree by charlie69...LOL i installed wire looms on my exposed dizzy wiring, installed some new stickers on firewall(took pix)partially installed clutch master cylinder( have to tighten nuts down that hold it on firewall)cleaned garage so i have more room to work around Grimace, starting separating parts to see what i have ready for installation and what is extra. talked with charlie69, helped (brandon)hacked521 load up extra bed into back of truck so he could take it back to tucson

installed brake master cylinder, cut, adjust, double flare new metal lines at both brake/clutch master cylinders, and lines that go from t-valve on firewall to the front brakes, installed wiring for inside cab dome light. next is to install cab rubber mounts, bleed brakes, bleed clutch slave cylinder and try to take it for a spin around the block.

enginephoto.jpg

brakehardware.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

worked on Grimace today. finally installed cab mounts, removed main fuel lines in order to flush them out or replace them with new steel lines also removed brake lines under cab to do the same. hopefully get them installed by next weekend then off to exhaust shop for some new 2" piping and maybe use my vw stinger exhaust muffler or go with a 40 series flowmaster, then gotta get brakes/clutch bleed and maybe take it for a spin around the block

went to muffler shop today with grimace. i was going to use my vw stinger exhaust and run it out back in the middle where license plate goes but it was loud and sounded terrible so i used 1 of my 2 flowmaster mufflers that i had lying around in my garage. it sounds different on a 4 cylinder motor than it does on my 5.3 liter v-8 motor in my silverado. now that i got that done i can now focus on getting the new fuel/brake lines bent and installed before i bleed entire hydraulic system. i took video tonight but i will delete it and re-record it during daylight hours and that way YOU PEOPLE, (what do you mean YOU PEOPLE?) LOL "tropic thunder" movie skit.. can get a glimpse of progress.

well finally got the rest of brake lines bent and installed, got gas tank flushed and cleaned out from local radiator shop, got some more paint, need to strip off fake chrome paint on rear differentail and paint it low gloss black, removed brake wheel cylinder bleed screws and flushed them out due to spider residue and now i can bleed brakes and clutch slave cylinder if it don't rain today. will keep everyone updated as the build continues.

well got brakes/clutch bleed on tuesday and and wait for it. 1.2.3. took grimace for a qwik spin around the block a few times, but when i came to a stop it would die or would not idle for some reason. i think it was flooding out thru the carb. i did manage to get it started again and limp it home to see what issue is. i again tried on wednesday and again on thursday but no change, so today i took it our Desert Datsun guru here in phoenix for some surgery from Doctor510 to see what diagnosis is he will get back with me in a few days. GOD i miss driving it so much more now i am jonesing for more drive time.