How to: Wake up your slow PC!

metalmonkey47

Being an IT processional, I have to say for windows based computers, staying on top of defrag, spyware removal, virus removal, and disk clean up can make a night and day difference. Also, people, reboot your system every now and again. Sometimes it just needs to flush the ram, and it's good to go. That is why we always ask "Have you turned it off and back on again".

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my HTC inspire cool.gif

Android FTW!

Loved my Motorola Droid

Started to hate my HTC Thunderbolt, then I installed Cyanogenmod 7, and now I love it.

And to iPhone lovers who say "batter life", sorry. Twice the amount of awesome does require twice as much power, lol

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

The thought of that scares me.

Windows is always buddy for the first few months after it's released.

Says who? I had Windows 7 2 months before it was out (student program). Super stable. I had Vista the same month it was out (old computer came with free upgrade), not a single issue.

Says who? I had Windows 7 2 months before it was out (student program). Super stable. I had Vista the same month it was out (old computer came with free upgrade), not a single issue.

I think 7 was the only version that wasn't buggy actually. Just a minor exception. I ran 7 through the beta period, and it was fantastic. I actually like the beta better then the official release. I have 7 64 bit on all my computers.

I've had lots of issues with Vista and XP though, until the recent service packs.

I just find that funny. I cant leave anything stock. I was modifying dll's and the such right away to get what I wanted out of the machines. Vista only ever bluescreened on me once, and it was entirely my fault. I was transferring a 100gb file from one harddrive to another, and about 40% in decided to cancel. I didnt get to XP until SP2... 7 is well, just awesome.

You must command your computer, make it bend over for you, if not you will be its slave. I told my sisters computer to behave, it did not, so it got a reinstall (some boot files where missing, and I couldnt get anything to fix it, tried all sorts of things that have worked for me before).

The thought of that scares me.

Windows is always buddy for the first few months after it's released.

until you realize im running the best aircooler currently avail.. :D

noctua_nh-d14_installed.jpg

and i love win 7 x64 ive been running the same copy sense it came out, still no slowdowns really. at least not as noticable as windowsxp.. be it that my computer is easily 20x as fast as my windows xp rig its not all that suprising. lol

I haven't really played with DLL's much. I've never had enough issues with windows to bother.

My current setup is great. I FINALLY upgraded from 2gb ram to 6gb. Hugeeee difference. My board is 3 years old and never fails to impress me. The XFX 750I is so super cool. Not to mention the Nvidia 9600GSO is an astounding video chipset for the $$.

561955_10150817730854266_2075020065_n.jpg

I haven't really played with DLL's much. I've never had enough issues with windows to bother.

My current setup is great. I FINALLY upgraded from 2gb ram to 6gb. Hugeeee difference. My board is 3 years old and never fails to impress me. The XFX 750I is so super cool. Not to mention the Nvidia 9600GSO is an astounding video chipset for the $$.

my hardware is new to me but same age as yours, but kinda the best of the day.. my case easily costs 2x as much as my hardware..

asus maximus II formula

intel q9550

4x 2gb sticks of corsair dominator :D

nvidia 9800gx2

1000w seasonic 80+ platinum 94% efficiency (thats new. :) i love that thing) picture shows my old 850watt 80+ gold 92% efficiency

old pic with old ram... powdercoated case :D

IMG_20111116_175504.png

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

As an IT admin, I approve this post!! laugh.gif

Also consider mydefrag!! Hard drives do not store data perfectly on hard drives, when it gets full the data starts to fragment, or "scatter" all over the drive.

http://www.mydefrag.com/

Defragmentation will simply just "line up" or organize your data, making it easier and quicker for the computer to find it.

The problem is this can sometimes cause a lot of ware on an old hard drive, so its best not to do it frequently.

/returns to lurking

hey, just as a reminder, if you have an ssd, DO NOT DEFRAG. PERIOD.

• 5 months later...