My 72 510

Hey guys I just bought 1972 Datsun 510. I have never owned a Datsun but I have always wanted a 510. I own chevy's including a 69 Camaro and a Silverado. I bought this 510 looking for a total project. I wanted it to be in bad shape and then totally restore it. The only issue is that I have been looking on this forum since I bought my ride and see that so many people are out here are fabricating some amazing shit. The fact is right now I just dont have those skills. I would love to learn though. Anyways I will post up pic and questions quite often as often as I have time.

This is the monster. It has a cheap Maaco paint job

5607185924_67f98ae07c_m.jpg

Heres the back of it. No bumpers. But I did pick some up.

5606596721_c713227a6b_m.jpg

5607181750_5dc3f189a8_m.jpg

5606599993_1b47905ece_m.jpg

5606606377_154d52883e_m.jpg Floorboards are ok.

5606605339_815afb4663_m.jpg Please tell me what dash this is from. The PO said its out of a truck but he had no clue what model. If anyone wants the dash and steering wheel for a stock 510 dash and wheel let me know. I can work out a trade. The dash actually looks like its in good condition. But I want the stock dash.

5606604751_e696cb160c_m.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a while and havnt posted anything. I got a front and rear bumper from 71DIMER. they are a little rough but I cleaned em up. I left the dents of course to match the rest of the ride. I put the rear bumper on and it fits and looks good. The front one is still sitting because I cannot find the proper bolts to fit the nuts welded to the frame where it mounts up. Any suggestions would help. I am figuring out how to post more pics but I am at work right now. I replaced the coil with a Borg Warner coil and also champion spark plugs. The car runs a bit better. I drove the car and noticed the left front of the hood rattles on the freeway. I bought the 4 rubber hood bumpers and 2 adjustable hood bumpers A's well. They should be in within the next week Or so I hope. I began working on the floor boards as well. Getting them ready to be por15d. That's enough for now until I post more pics. Later .

f7f41a1c.jpg

This is a pic of the bumper not the prettiest but it works.

4a545608.jpg

The PO ha the whole car painted and I mean everything. I prepped the door handles to remove the paint with paint thinner I will have pics soon.

60bc1fb1.jpg

I'll leave u with a nice pic of the ass end. Also I removed the battery tray from the trunk and found a nice size rust hole. O well more work to do

Not bad at all dude, it looks like a good starting point to a big project, may I ask what the plan is for this sweet classic jdm?

Back to stock? Scca? Dd? Show car?

Don't give up! That's the beat advice anyone here can give you to start with.

Rust, snapped bolts, electrical, bushings, a lot of it will be hard work and trial and error but if you refuse to fail then it's just a matter of time before you make it what you want it to be!!!!!

You can do it, and Im pretty sure ratsun will be able to help.

Go team ratsun!!!!!

Not bad at all dude, it looks like a good starting point to a big project, may I ask what the plan is for this sweet classic jdm?

Back to stock? Scca? Dd? Show car?

Don't give up! That's the beat advice anyone here can give

you to start with.

Rust, snapped bolts, electrical, bushings, a lot of it will be hard work and trial and error but if you refuse to fail then it's just a matter of time before you make it what you want it to be!!!!!

You can do it, and Im pretty sure ratsun will be able to help.

Go team ratsun!!!!!

Well for now it's a decent daily driver. I want a ka motor eventually most likely after summer A's long A's this motor holds up. I want to restore the interior to stock and make it comy. Not much else other than some suspension work. Thanks for the inspiration

So I fired her up this morning to go home from work. She idles very low and eventually so low all of the loose panels shake loudly. I will read up on weber carbs and tune her properly. I also noticed the right headlamp is very dim. Guess what's next? Yes HID's . I have never installed them but I think I will make this my first electrical fix to this build. I have read a few threads about installing them just hope it's as easy as it sounds. I also noticed all of the noise inside of the car while driving on the freeway. That will get old quick. I better get back to work on the floor pans and prep them for insulation.

Buy a timming light.Since you have a 69 Camero you more than likely have a timming light

adjust the mixture screw IN/OUT till it runs the best. then go in back and there is a speed adjustment screw. adjust to get idle where you want it. You will do this in combo of timming adj with the distributor turn left or right using a timming light.

olddatsuns.com has timming specs.

be good to know if you have points or electronic ignition also.

ee711483.jpg

Hard to see but anyone know what kind of wheels these are. I also want to buy a brake booster for the front discs where can I get one at or what type of car can I use one off of.

Those are Appliance "Dia-Mags". I just picked up a pretty clean set at the Portland Auto Swap Meet.

Photo1421.jpg

Buy a timming light.Since you have a 69 Camero you more than likely have a timming light

adjust the mixture screw IN/OUT till it runs the best. then go in back and there is a speed adjustment screw. adjust to get idle where you want it. You will do this in combo of timming adj with the distributor turn left or right using a timming light.

olddatsuns.com has timming specs.

be good to know if you have points or electronic ignition also.

Yeah my bad didn't clarify on that. I meant to put it that i owned a 69 camaro. Sold it when I got my house which was about 3 years ago. Never adjusted the timing on it. Always had friends do it for me. now it's time to learn. But I will head out and buy a timing light and figure it out I'm sure it ain't that hard. I would also think that weber carbs should be as easy as working on Holley carbs. Plus ther carb has a small mesh screen over it that acts as an air cleaner. I will either make or buy an air cleaner soon. Also banzai510 I'm diggin ur wagon. I just read through ur build and the thing is fucking awesome. Want similar HIDS

30f0e774.jpg

I finally got a picture of the L16 powerplant. It is a bit rough but it runs. I will drive this car with this motor until the tine comes until it dies then I will upgrade. Until then I will work on prettying this bad boy up and tuning it up as well. Just ordered an air filter from Weber. It has some mesh over the carb which the PO used instead. Never heard of it but I will change that. Just bought a timing light and will do timing this week or so. I believe this motor is out of a 70 521 so gotta use search and find timing specs.

cb4502b4.jpg

Busted ass fuse box. I want a new one but only see bluebird one from overseas and one from Mexico want to get one closer if possible. If anyone has one in good condition let me know.

c14e8af9.jpg

69221cc4.jpg

1dcb8f07.jpg

2c540df4.jpg

I got my weber air cleaner in the mail today. First step to cleaning this motor up. I realized everyone is doing these crazy builds by putting in motor swaps and painting and cool stuff. I'm so short on time that I havnt gotten to do anything really. My next step will be sanding floors and insulating them. Then I'll grab a carpet kit from 71 dimer.

Lookin good. I don't think that fuse box looks bad. If the fuse clips are still good and tight and the plastic isn't melted you probably won't find anything better in the states. if you buy another one tho, make sure it has the same number of wires between the plugs. I think datsun used at least 3 different configurations with the same looking fuse box on 510s.