• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#441 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,096 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

I would have adjusted the valves again Daniel, until they could not be done anymore, I have even went so far as to grind the nut down to give me more adjustment.

That is caused by the valves sinking into the head, you heed hardened valve seats with the gas they sell today, brass seats don't cut it anymore.

You should have the truck on the road today.  :thumbup:

#442 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

The valve adjustment was already used up, I knew that from the last time I adjusted the valves.   

I hope to have one of my other 521 trucks on the road by February, that is when the registration on Ratsun is due.  

Unfortunately, at least for being able to work on Datsuns, I have to work this afternoon, and tomorrow during the day. 

#443 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Last time I posted, I had the engine that was in Ratsun out, and the engine that is eventually going into Dragon Two sitting in Ratsun.  If you are not familiar with this thread, I have a few 521 trucks in various states of repair, and or running, and one that is running, registered, and a daily driver.   There is Ratsun, the main subject of this thread.  It is the daily driver, for now. 

Dragon, is another 521, it is running, but missing a lot of parts I have to be put on it, after painting, it is not registered, but I can drive it on my horse ranch, at least when it is not muddy.

This is Dragon's thread.  http://community.rat...gon-datsun-521/

This is the thread for Dragon Two.   http://community.rat...n-2-datsun-521/

Because of the engine problems with Ratsun, I decided to put the engine for Dragon Two in Ratsun.  I planned on doing this sometime, to test the engine, and when it was ready, move that engine back into Dragon Two.

But I plan on getting Dragon on the road first.

Back to Ratsun.  Last week, I had Dragon Two engine set in Ratsun, and hooked up enough stuff to try to run it.   It would fire briefly, but not run.  I found out the accelerator pump on the carb I had put on that engine was not pumping.  This was a new looking 521 carb I had pulled from Pick and Pull, off a 620 truck.  I knew it was a 521 carb, because it had a manual choke, no 620 USA trucks had a manual choke.  I pulled the carburetor off Ratsun's engine, put it on Dragon Two's engine, and the engine ran.   This was just a brief test run, no radiator, or alternator.   On with hooking things up.  L-16 engines use a stamped steel lower alternator bracket.  L-18 engines use a cast steel lower alternator bracket.  I also found out some L-18 engine use M8-1.25 bolts to hold that bracket to the block, and other L-18 engines use M10-1.5 bolts to hold the alternator bracket to the block.  the cat alternator brackets look the same, but have different sized holes for the block bolts.  When I was putting the alternator on the engine. the front bolt on the lower alternator bracket stripped the threads out of the bracket.  No problem, I thought, I got a another cast alternator bracket, and found the bolts for the L-18 block would not go through the bracket.  Then I dug out my M8-1.25 Helicoil kit, and repaired the L-18 alternator bracket, and moved on with putting things together.  The next problem, i found a crack in the down pipe off the exhaust manifold, and I welded that up.  Finally, put the radiator in the truck, and since everything is old, I pressure test cooling systems before putting antifreeze in them.  I found a leak in the front cover to block area.  there was also a broken bolt there.  I removed radiator, distributor, oil pump, and drive, alternator, drained the oil, and dropped the oil front of the oil pan, and finally the front cover.  I also found I had not put gaskets there.  I think my thought was to close up the engine, and put gaskets in later.  Later was now.  the broken bolt came out with no problem.  I put everything back together, and another pressure test.  Found a leak on the upper radiator hose to thermostat cover connection.  i tried two different hoses, it still leaked, and then went back into spare parts collection, and found a thermostat cover with a lot less corrosion on the hose sealing surface.  I put the old coolant from Ratsun in the engine, and went for a short test drive.  The clutch needed the free play adjusted, and the valves were making noise.  I need to do a valve adjustment.  That was last Thursday.   I worked Friday, through Monday, although I was able to adjust the clutch free play on Friday morning.

This morning, I pulled the cam cover off the engine.  I re-torqued the cylinder head bolts, each bolt went about a 1/4 turn more that it was before it broke loose.  Then reset the valves, and some other small things.  Put the hood back on the truck, and one of the hood bolts is stripped out. 

Then I took Ratsun to the grocery store, and back.  this engine has a lot more power that the L-16 (with low compression) had.   

And now I am up to date.

#444 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Another drive with Ratsun, and the engine planned for Dragon Two.  The engine is burning a little oil, blue smoke, when accelerating as it is getting warm, it seems to smoke less after that.  The engine seems a little quieter, less valve train noise.  I did about two 10 mile trips yesterday, and rechecked the oil and coolant this morning.  The oil looks clean, but it seems to be losing a bit of coolant, or there might have been an air bubble in the cooling system.  I need to keep watching the coolant level.  The temp gauge is reading a littler lower, I am thinking of getting a slightly hotter Nissan thermostat, we are approaching winter, and I would rather have the heat from a warmer engine.

#445 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

On November 14, I took Ratsun to work, about 4 miles, on a trip into Beaverton, to my dentist, 20 miles, and the first time on a freeway, back to work and home after that.   The next day, another 19 mile trip into Oregon city, to pay property taxes.  The coolant level seems to be staying OK.

But the engine still blows blue smoke when accelerating after coasting.   Other than that, the engine seems to run strong.

#446 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

The engine that was in Ratsun had been taken partially apart, and I did take number one intake valve out of the head.  The head is a 210 head, nothing special, and still has the brass intake valve seats.

I also checked the compression on the engine currently in Ratsun, the engine I have planned to put into Dragon Two, and it is OK for now, but I probably will do more work to that engine.  Compression results, #1, 155  #2, 171  #3, 130  #4, 150.   It also does blow blue smoke when I accelerate after a closed throttle slowing down.

But even so, I still got another load of hay, 20 bales yesterday.  There are a few hills between the place I buy hay, and my place, before, with the engine that was in Ratsun, I had to down shift into third gear, and now Ratsun can make it over those hills with out down shifting into third, providing traffic does not slow me down.

This is the link to Dragon Two:

http://community.rat...n-2-datsun-521/

#447 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

This is a picture of the engine block that was in Ratsun.  This is the left side of the engine, looking at number one and two cylinder walls through the core plug hole.

This engine was not leaking coolant.  

RatsunBlockCrack.JPG

This was the original L-16 engine that came in Ratsun.  Other than that, is is just a L-16 engine.