Last time I posted, I had the engine that was in Ratsun out, and the engine that is eventually going into Dragon Two sitting in Ratsun. If you are not familiar with this thread, I have a few 521 trucks in various states of repair, and or running, and one that is running, registered, and a daily driver. There is Ratsun, the main subject of this thread. It is the daily driver, for now.
Dragon, is another 521, it is running, but missing a lot of parts I have to be put on it, after painting, it is not registered, but I can drive it on my horse ranch, at least when it is not muddy.
This is Dragon's thread. http://community.rat...gon-datsun-521/
This is the thread for Dragon Two. http://community.rat...n-2-datsun-521/
Because of the engine problems with Ratsun, I decided to put the engine for Dragon Two in Ratsun. I planned on doing this sometime, to test the engine, and when it was ready, move that engine back into Dragon Two.
But I plan on getting Dragon on the road first.
Back to Ratsun. Last week, I had Dragon Two engine set in Ratsun, and hooked up enough stuff to try to run it. It would fire briefly, but not run. I found out the accelerator pump on the carb I had put on that engine was not pumping. This was a new looking 521 carb I had pulled from Pick and Pull, off a 620 truck. I knew it was a 521 carb, because it had a manual choke, no 620 USA trucks had a manual choke. I pulled the carburetor off Ratsun's engine, put it on Dragon Two's engine, and the engine ran. This was just a brief test run, no radiator, or alternator. On with hooking things up. L-16 engines use a stamped steel lower alternator bracket. L-18 engines use a cast steel lower alternator bracket. I also found out some L-18 engine use M8-1.25 bolts to hold that bracket to the block, and other L-18 engines use M10-1.5 bolts to hold the alternator bracket to the block. the cat alternator brackets look the same, but have different sized holes for the block bolts. When I was putting the alternator on the engine. the front bolt on the lower alternator bracket stripped the threads out of the bracket. No problem, I thought, I got a another cast alternator bracket, and found the bolts for the L-18 block would not go through the bracket. Then I dug out my M8-1.25 Helicoil kit, and repaired the L-18 alternator bracket, and moved on with putting things together. The next problem, i found a crack in the down pipe off the exhaust manifold, and I welded that up. Finally, put the radiator in the truck, and since everything is old, I pressure test cooling systems before putting antifreeze in them. I found a leak in the front cover to block area. there was also a broken bolt there. I removed radiator, distributor, oil pump, and drive, alternator, drained the oil, and dropped the oil front of the oil pan, and finally the front cover. I also found I had not put gaskets there. I think my thought was to close up the engine, and put gaskets in later. Later was now. the broken bolt came out with no problem. I put everything back together, and another pressure test. Found a leak on the upper radiator hose to thermostat cover connection. i tried two different hoses, it still leaked, and then went back into spare parts collection, and found a thermostat cover with a lot less corrosion on the hose sealing surface. I put the old coolant from Ratsun in the engine, and went for a short test drive. The clutch needed the free play adjusted, and the valves were making noise. I need to do a valve adjustment. That was last Thursday. I worked Friday, through Monday, although I was able to adjust the clutch free play on Friday morning.
This morning, I pulled the cam cover off the engine. I re-torqued the cylinder head bolts, each bolt went about a 1/4 turn more that it was before it broke loose. Then reset the valves, and some other small things. Put the hood back on the truck, and one of the hood bolts is stripped out.
Then I took Ratsun to the grocery store, and back. this engine has a lot more power that the L-16 (with low compression) had.
And now I am up to date.