Where can i find 1980 datsun 720 parts

Kauaikane

Howzit im working on a 1980 720 long bed L20B engine an i want to change my lights on truck. i also need the corner turn signals the ones for my fenders. im looking everywhere and i cant find anything. Only parts (corner lights) i can find is mostly for 83' an up. is this years compatible to my 1980 corner lights?

I been hearing that this L20B is one bad ass motor, is this right. its all stock right now, just put on a 32/36, what else should i invest into this motor besides getting headers and exhaust.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't bother with a header, you will never see the performance gain from it unless you are driving it on the track at high speeds. yes, later 720 side marker lights will work. The l20 is a badass motor, you've already done a big upgrade by putting on the weber. Do some looking around on here, and use the search function. you can swap heads, cams, pistons etc to gain performance.

what lights are you wanting to change? (besides the corner lights)

don't bother with a header, you will never see the performance gain from it unless you are driving it on the track at high speeds. yes, later 720 side marker lights will work. The l20 is a badass motor, you've already done a big upgrade by putting on the weber. Do some looking around on here, and use the search function. you can swap heads, cams, pistons etc to gain performance.

what lights are you wanting to change? (besides the corner lights)

Right on thanks for the reply bro! i like also change the rear ones too. About the corner lights, when i was looking on e-bay they posted that it wont fit my 1980 not in those words but it was on a chart i think someone probably made up an probably dont know what they talking about. i trust this site better. Do you know what kind of front bumper will fit without making to much modifications. i bought one used toyota 2wd bumper , somewhere in the mid 90's and it wouldnt work too big of a gap in front of my radiator.

Im pretty sure they are the same, the grills look a little different. but pretty sure the lights were the same, ive had so many its hard to tell anymore

Take yours off and look at it compared to the ones on ebay, im betting they are the same, ive swapped them off my 85 4x4 and put it on my 80 2wd (the wire connectors might be a little different, in which case you can take care of that yourself)

• 1 month later...

The 80 -82 front ends are different. However the fenders 80-86 are the same so the 83-86 corner lights will bolt up. The difference is 83-86 had a different grille and the corner lights are made to match at the bottom part of the grill. If you bolt those on an 80-82 front end it will look funny. I have an 80 and updating to the 83-86 front end.

Check here for parts:

http://www.nissan-auto-and-parts.com/bodyparts/pickup.html

I don't know if the 83-86 grill will work on the 80-82 because the headlight buckets mount in a differant position and I don't know if the later model mount holes are there, but you can put the 80-82 grill ect. on the later models cause the mount holes are there on the 84-85 at least as I have done that. The corner lights will mount on any of the years, but they won't match the grill when interchanged. I beleave the headlight buckets are about an inch lower from 83ish on. You need to check the radiator core support to check for another set of headlight bucket mounting holes on the 80 that are lower. The headlights and buckets are the same as far as I know, the corner marker light housings are a little taller on the 83-86. The front lower sheet metal is also a little differant 83 on, the holes are in differant positions for the larger bumper, ect.

Yes the core supports are different I actually swapped a newer front end on my 81 I actually drilled new holes for the headlight buckets everything else bolted on just fine if I remember right. Btw I have a nice late model grill if ya need one. Here is a picture to prove it.

frtbumper-1.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. some reason i don't get notified when somebody comments on my post sorry. just read this post right now lol, still learning the site. Well

i just bought a 83 chrome front grill (Damn) i guess i got to do some mods. i wish i read this about a week ago. So the "brackets" or "housing" for the lights has to be moved down about one inch "give or take" . i also bought a 83 chrome front bumper and bumper ends, this should fit right.? ( i changed my front fenders replaced them with i think a 82' Datsun 720 4x4 fenders) I should'nt have a problem with the new 83' bumper ends right? The old 80' bumper ends were ugly plastic and mounted farther back if i can remember right, plus i dont have them already i threw them away long time ago thinking i could fit the new chrome steel ones. By the way im looking for a 1980 cowl for my 720. mine is so bad, hard to even look at lol. I think im about a month away from getting it done if i get the cowl, if not i just going have to do it as best as i can, paint em' an sell em' lol.

Best bet put up a want ad with a full list of everything you need. There isn't a junk yard in my area either. I only know of one 720 i MIGHT be able to pull parts off of. It was totaled on the front end, then a few years later the guy died. Now his son owns it, and i dunno if he will be willing to part with it. I have been meaning to stop by and ask about it as i want it for parts on my 4x4 (its a 4x4 also.)

The 83+ bumper should fit on your 80...can't remember if you need the 80 or 83 mounting brackets though.

I believe the wings/ends on the 80-82 are longer...thus the flares on the 4x4 are notched to accommodate.

No difference between the 2WD and 4WD front fenders

michael_truck1.jpg

Not sure of the 80...but on the 83+, there are different mounting holes for the light buckets.