My New 82 720 4wd

rubenz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a way to test the u joints to see if they need to be replaced?

Yeah... put the car on level ground, block the wheels/set e brake. Make sure its in neutral, and just get under there and grab a drive line and spin it back and forth, up down, side to side etc... you can tell when they are bad. there shouldn't really be any play in them. Easy enough to replace... Theres a total of 3 drive lines on these rigs.

Yeah... put the car on level ground, block the wheels/set e brake. Make sure its in neutral, and just get under there and grab a drive line and spin it back and forth, up down, side to side etc... you can tell when they are bad. there shouldn't really be any play in them. Easy enough to replace... Theres a total of 3 drive lines on these rigs.

Wouldn't you raise the vehicle....get the wheels off the ground.????

So there is no tension/pressure on the u-joints.....the wheels turn freely

2 halfshafts

1 front propeller shaft

1 rear propeller/driveshaft

Wouldn't you raise the vehicle....get the wheels off the ground.????

So there is no tension/pressure on the u-joints.....the wheels turn freely

2 halfshafts

1 front propeller shaft

1 rear propeller/driveshaft

You can. I dont.. s why i said level ground, in neutral with blocks on the tires/ebrakes. it releases the tension, or has for me. Last time i did a u joint in one of these i just parked it in freaky510's yard and we dropped it where it sat :rofl:

I have the light problem... Sometimes it takes like 30 seconds for all my dash lights and stuff to come on, and then it seems when it is realy cold the lights will take like 10 minutes to turn on...

So where were you fellas talkin about sprayin WD-40?

And i had shakin like that on my truck and it was the u joints.... I just checked by puttin my ebrake on and wigglin the u joints... It is pretty obvious when the are bad.. they wiggle haha... That was after my u joint broke and I had my back driveline clubbing the underbody.. right underneath the seat... I was lifftin me off the seat an inch or so every time it hit

Its a known issue, i had it, ive seen other people have it, datzenmike helped me out with that a while ago... Pretty sure ive seen a few threads on here about it as well, and after he posted that problem solved...

anyone of u guys have brake light issues?my brake lights dont flash when the brake is applied:(..cant figure it out?

• 4 weeks later...

This may seem stupid, I just know that if you have your front hubs "locked in" on the street it will cause the rig to vibrate at higher speeds as well.

It isn't stupid. With the wheels locked the front driveshaft is being turned by the front wheels. If it is out of ballance or has a bad U-joint it will vibrate at highway speeds. It likely isn't noticed at very low 4x4 speeds.

anyone of u guys have brake light issues?my brake lights dont flash when the brake is applied:(..cant figure it out?

Check the switch on the brake peddle. It must make contact when the peddle is pushed down. Check for power on one of the wires. There is a connector under the pass side seat where the harness exits the cab and goes under the truck to the rear and another connector near the pass side reat lamps. Try unplugging then and plugging back in to make better contact.

• 4 weeks later...