Roadster?????

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this a different location? What happened to all the car port canopies?

The carport canopys are next to the garage. How they stuff all these cars there is anyones guess? Sometimes there is a car stored on the rack with another one parked underneath :lol:

The roadster isn't under the canopy at this time. We have the frame out and have other projects under there. Once we get a frame built it will go back on the lift under the canopy. There are a few 510's we are trying to get running by Canby so for now it's on the back burner. We just wanted it to look cool while it sits around. Help the motivation you know :)

Static drop? Or with bags with it being this low

It's going to be static of coarse :)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not really.

Been working on other projects right now. I really want to get to it though. It's not easy to find a complete Mazda Miata front suspension.

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since there has been an update.  Really nothing big has gone on, I plan on designing the frame in solid works, as I've been working on other solid works projects with a buddy at work and I'm getting to the point where it is actually fun to draw things.  I've also finally decided what drive train to use.  After test fitting a VG and measuring the engine bay it was pretty obvious that the only engine that will fit is a rotary……  Well until lately when I've been thinking about using the Nissan Leaf drive train, since they've been out long enough to be able to buy a totaled one at not to bad of a price.  (please don't start a renewable energy thread out of this project thread).  I found a dude up north of me who has bought a wrecked Leaf with the same plans.  I stopped by and check out his project, learned tons and it looks totally doable.  Getting a Leaf is down the road after I get a frame tacked together I'll need a leaf.

IMG_4171.jpg

We cut the frame in half when we moved it to my house so I had to zap it back together.  

photo+copy.JPG

Brought it into the back yard and leveled i the frame.  Then I set up my cheesy Home Depot laser level to get some decent measurements.  

roadster+body+mount+points.PNG

So here is my start.   It will come together as time goes on.  

One thing I want to do is to make it AWD or at least make provisions for it.  That will require a FWD or RWD spindle used in a double wish bone setup not a pogo stick setup.  Which turns out to be difficult to find.  So far the best one I can find is a Chevy Avalanche although it's a bit overkill so I was hoping you guys could think of one.  Not one like Honda's use though, they are super tall and weird.  

rbrake.JPG

• Like 4

And here I thought I was going to find someone asking "WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS BUILD???"

Glad to see your making a plan for it. Just keep us updated on the frame build. I got to work with Solid Works and my last fabrication job. Cool shit! 

I told a Toyota buddy he should put the guts from a Prius into a early Celica.  He has no vision. 

And here I thought I was going to find someone asking "WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS BUILD???"

Glad to see your making a plan for it. Just keep us updated on the frame build. 

I plan on it.  I just want to make a small amount of progress every week, that would keep me happy.  

Leaf drivetrain will be so awesome!

I think so too.  Can you imagine it!  210 lbs of torque instantly!  That's with just one leaf motor setup.  My long term plan is awd and two of them…. 420 lbs of torque and 240 HP!!!  GPS, power steering, power brakes, antilock brakes, AC, backup camera, a phone app so I can pre heat the car before I go out in the morning.  Yeah I'm going to hook it all up!  every last bit.  

It's not leaf, but will a Nissan Juke awd rear set up work under there?

The plan for rear is the S13 stuff.  My friend Sam drew it already.  I helped….. kinda….  

Sam's rig 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

More progress thanks to my buddy up north!  He let me borrow a leaf battery and the motor tranny combo!!!  Yes time to get it drawn up in solidworks.  

Crazy to think that little dude is 210 foot pounds of torque and that includes the tranny and rearend!!!  Although the Tesla setup is small and more powerful but I still dig it.  

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4236.JPG

• Like 4

Very cool.

I don't know of you'll be able to get your hands on one but Leafs just got recalled.

Some 2014s had a bunch of missing welds.

Nissan will be giving the customers new cars rather than repair them.

This is going to be rad.

Now that's a recall.