On advice from counsel name withheld till further notice.

Jim-Carry-NATR.gif

thought as long as i was updating title ,, :lol:

I don`t really want to drive our 83 280zxt to Canby Oregon ( and for my first time in an actual Datsun) and have a 71 four door that we bought out of Centralia WA for $200. dollars a couple years ago. The car is now a auto but I have most of the parts to make it a 4 speeder 1600, or possibly a 5 speed L20.The motor now in car is all apart but have others that could give head gasket, timing chain, or even valve job if needed. I takes me a real long time to type anything so heres some pictures..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Loader pictured really pisses me off lately

The single best reason to have children laugh.giflaugh.gif

I know there isn`t much time but im not going to build the perfect car just reliable

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres some of the replacement parts to make car an actual car.

the stuff that came in trunk

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ112-1.jpg

The door phil almost GAVE to us

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ119-1.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ123.jpg

$30. seats

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ124.jpg

not sure if im using any of these 7---well 7 and a 1/2 ... rope is 1 inch+ thick to hold down plastic

tongue.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ116-1.jpg

probably going to use one of these one is 71 1600 with 80 l20 head,, other is 77 low miles l20 that has sat since 89 so kinda scared to even open that kettle up

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ117-1.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ118-1.jpg

not sure if i can lower it by june but would like to run my minilite type 13"s but have swaztica type to fill up wheel well if dont get to that..

Now i must get out and clean that butterscotch mobile out biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Like 1
Since you are building the 4 door, are you selling the 2 door? If so, pm me. smile.gif

Im a better at accumulating than selling ,,, but if i ever get rid of it (not happening ) i hope it would go to someone that loves Datsuns as much as YOU.

Looks like a nice score for 200. I hope it stays butterscotch.

Not changing color, because there is something about these old colors that just stick out in a crowd . But mainly because the cars door and fender are on my brothers car, the plan was to paint him a door and fender to match his /our / my orange mobile, and put the ones now on his car, back on my / our / his car...BTW..my door and fender have already went to a Ratsun get-together.biggrin.gif

Picture181.jpg

Spent yesterday cleaning out mouse pee smell old moldy carpet :sick:

Rustina is your floor this BAD?? :poke:

rusty on top but none that i could see from under car ,,thick flooring material may be holding metal together laugh.gif

Spare tire drain hole kinda fuzzy around edges but rubber still fits good. no actual holes though.

headliner moldy around bottom but otherwise usable.

And the junk in the trunk, funny thing is there is a NEW starter on engine also:confused:

Yo Andrew.. Glad to see you started on this project, get er done buddy. Be happy to see you at canby. Don't think ill have the goon rolling by then

I was outside checking out the 720 and the goon. I noticed my truck plate frame says "Happiness is being a family" And the one on the goon says, "Happiness is being single"

H2theizzo just gonna make it so i can putter around town but make it dependable enough to make a long trip, not that worried about it ever being finished.

It will be good to shoot the shit with you again at Canby even if we both end up taking the bus to get there smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i should have named this " operation pig fucker " cuz ever since i posted this thread EVERY car in our fleet broke down even our 2005 dodge mini-van with only 28,000 miles ... but i digress. Today was first day nothing was in garage so i started engine re-gasket. I was pretty sure i would run into something but to my relief the inside of engine looked like this.I know i gave it a valve job just couldn`t remember how long truck was driven till motor was pulled.

71 1600 with 1980 w58 head

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ163.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ160.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ164.jpg

Apparently i had changed head gasket not to long ago ,, man my mind must be going this isn`t a new gasket this is the one i took out.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ170.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ172.jpg

BEFORE

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ165.jpg

AFTER

1600 no match for zee big orange mchammers

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ166.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ168.jpg

not sure if I am going to paint it cuz if i do it will guarantee it to smoke or rod knock dry.gif

should be back together tomorrow

So i dont usually paint my engines but thought, what the heck..Then like playing frizbee in the dark , it hit me. Once you paint the block you have to clean everything else extra just to make those parts not look as dirty..sad.gifsad.gif

Going to see if i can con one of my sons into scotchbright-ing the valve cover

Any hoo heres something to look at.

...There isn`t as much permatex as it looks camera just picked it up real well.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ174.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ175.jpg

no oil pan cuz this was a truck motor and the 510 engine is still in car..but most of engine cleanup is done

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ173.jpg

Gasket kit from NAPA notice anything missing?? Well i didn`t till i had already opened package,,angry.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ176.jpg

Thanks Micro it was bought to be parts car but since it was stored in a shed it turned out to be pretty decent start, just never got around to it. And the whole Canby thing ( in this car ) seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

.....Drewsdime im not sure what i am doing with frames if i decide to sell you have firsties..

finally got my oil pan and pickup out of car, i should have started a poll ,How much auto trans fluid can leak out of rear of trans before i can get motor all the way out.

Little bit ..

quite a bit..

Jesus frickin Christ ..

Two five gallon buckets of floor dry and a bit of yelling at the dog for peeling out in said floor dry and im back on track..

the previous owner said they were changing head gasket and lost interest but i dont think that would have done it. The oil looked like playdoh.

And in the last shots engine and trans are loaded into trailer of misfit toys maybe never to be heard from again.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ179.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ177.jpg

daddys`s little helper.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ183.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ186.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ189.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ188.jpg

Funny thing is i found trans plug in tool box after i didnt really need it anymore

Gasket kit from NAPA notice anything missing?? Well i didn`t till i had already opened package,,angry.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ176.jpg

Why do you have gasket sealer on all of that stuff?? Let the gasket do its job, or dont bother using them at all. O

ne little dot of sealer at the corners of the timing cover is all that is needed. Same goes for the water pump.

I spy enough riding mowers and enough spare L motor parts that your son should have a project on his hands.

Guest kamakazi620

You now have the cheapest Datsun 510 I know about, I paid 300 for mine, lol hope your floor pans are in better shape than mine

588599dc.jpg

Uhhh no I paid 2hundo for my wagoon within a rebuilt l20and 5speed NO rust I sold the motor and trans for 350 to buy a ka

that head looked like it was in very good condition, at least the motor wont be a totall loss, it has to be nice to have multiple motors to peice together into one that should run real well, and i notice that you need a gas lid, i have one i can give you if you need it.

I think you got the motors mixed up, the first engine was a 521 truck engine, so i needed the car engine pan which is the rusted mess in last posting.

And dont despair if you scroll up and look at the 2 door it has pans that look very much like yours.but it`s weird the rust is only in the pans,, like it was parked in a field of grass or something.

YELLO 620........................ it`s because i honestly cant control myself, cuz i try but somehow that tube of silicone seems to find my hand.,, For reals though,,  gaskets I ended up using were blue,,  not the ones in picture,, because of no oil pump gasket.

While waiting for some clutch parts to be order (( correctly )) i changed the car over from 1 pedal to a clutch / brake system. The original brake pedal arm sits far to the left so it has to be taken off and bent straighter, so i got a big ass hammer and gave it a spanking...Then after trial fitting a few times it fits better. Then i salvaged some arms out of a 620 and a 200sx , cuz thats what i have, and trial fitted them and settled with a 200sx arm. I did this before using 71 521 parts and it worked pretty good.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ193.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ194.jpg

This is what original brake arm looked like with stock bends and then after big hammer attack.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ196.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ197.jpg

This is what arms look like now in car....Going to cut off the pad that is on there now after there is pressure is in system and the sit in the final positions and reweld them both on where they feel best to my feet.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ198.jpg

off center shot........

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ199.jpg

Last time i used 521 hard lines and they fit almost perfect but this time i used 620 lines and obviously will have to bend my own lines after car is up and going.

Started with this mess ended up with this mess ............POSTING WARTS AND ALL................it will get fixed, just not right now.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ204.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ205.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ206.jpg

Please dont do this with your brake lines, you can drive without clutch but fuck your brakes up and your dead....

And dont despair if you scroll up and look at the 2 door it has pans that look very much like yours.but it`s weird the rust is only in the pans,, like it was parked in a field of grass or something.

Yeah that sucks, my pops has a 55 belair like that because someone left the windows for and stored it outside and the rain got in and drained to the pans that got rusty.

We never had rusty car in az when I was growing up, now both my dad and myself have rust bucket projects lol

Ok, since im using mostly parts i have laying around, i dont have a manual trans cross member, so made this plate to extend bolts to reach each other. Plate is 1/4 inch thick and is drilled to accept original bolts just farther apart . It was previously used on a 510 with a B&W trans mounts so it has extra holes but at least now it will fit anything....LoL

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ207.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ209.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ211.jpg

That was all i needed to get engine in car (((((((((((((( FINALLY )))))))))))))))))

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ212.jpg

Cut hole for shifter it`s a little to the drivers side because there are brake lines about 1/8 inch on the passenger side of hole. But it goes in reverse with no problem..

AND FYI .......if you try hole sawing through tar like flooring material it may give you the,, and i mean THE worst charlie horse of all time when the 1/2 inch drill handle " comes a callin "

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ213.jpg

And how many carburetors does it take to run a Datsun .........well at least more one than this .not counting the Hitachi that made it run but dumped enough petrol on exhaust to scare Fire Marshal Bill sad.gifsad.gif

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ214.jpg

Definitely going to need a muffler ,,the engine is running on it`s own circuit to eliminate any out side forces. Carb is a motorcraft of maybe a 80s mustang but it`s the only one that is either complete or, not a Hitachi i will have to fab a bracket to hook up but , meh , it works. Probably going to run fuel cell currently in my 55 ford truck because car has sat so long.

But now i can throw on the radiator and hoses and then on to brakes.

• Like 1