Project "Parts Car" Resurrection

Ok, so here we go. I'm starting my first build thread. I bought this car almost a year ago from another Ratsun member as a parts car. It had a clear title, but the engine was missing the head and it was an automatic. I originally bought it with the intention of adding it to my race car collection. I planned to strip it out, install a roll bar, a bigger engine and a 4 speed transmission. Paint it up BRE style and set it up for a specific track. Well.... Plans change and I simply couldn't bring myself to trash a 510 Datto that could go back on the road. Soooo... Now it's gonna be a daily driver/project car. Anyway, here goes....

DatsunProject1.jpg

this first picture is obviously the empty engine compartment, after I pulled the partial L16 out.

datsunproject2.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the L18 that I got from another Ratsun member going in.

datsunproject3.jpg

Here's the L18 installed with the old L16 stock carb. It has a idle issue, so I'm going to upgrade to a 32/36 Weber soon.

WoodenSpringSpacer.jpg

Here's a picture of what I found in the rear springs. The previous owner made these fancy spacers for the springs. I guess he cut them too short and had tire clearance issues. Big surprise, these didn't work and tires still rub. Anyone got a set that are uncut or cut properly, I can have free or cheap plus shipping?

• Like 1
  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got up today and stole the Weber 32/36 off my race car, since it's getting a 40DFAV carb anyway. The car really runs good now.

Weberinstalled.jpg

here's a front shot of what I'm starting with...

frontshot1.jpg

Someone cut out the rear fender lips on both sides, I guess It's gonna be getting BRE style flares after I do the rust repair.

Leftrearquarter1.jpg

rightrearquarter1.jpg

It was a nice day today, so i worked on the Datto a little. Here's what I found... I already mentioned these little spring wooden spring spacers that didn't work. DUH!!!! I originally thought that the rear springs had been cut, not I think they have been torch heated, considering this one is broke in half, although it's hard to see in the photo. Guess it's time to start hunting for those D50 springs everyone keeps talking about. lol...

brokespring.jpg

i'm planning a trip to the local ''pick n pull'', so i thought while i'm there looking for D50 springs i'd hunt for some front strut inserts. I've heard of some people useing a VW insert that's really short. What year and model is that from? i want this car down lowwwww..... Anyone know which strut i need? I've looked all over the forum, but haven't seen anyone list years or models for this strut.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm saving it too. They're very few and far between in the midwest. I have 4 of em' though. lol... I'll look into the ZG flares. I've never heard of em. It's a shame someone butchered the quarters so bad, because this car is almost rust free underneath, SOLID FLOORS....

Look in Mike Klotz strut thread. Toward the middle of the thread there is a list of different strut inserts. Lengths, diameters and shaft sizes.

And hurry up on the flares, I want to see how you do your 4 door. I am thinking that would look bitch'n on my wagon.

Just a quick update, my computer is down, so i'm stuck using my cell for the web, so no oics for now. Anyway, i traded off a rusty set of chrome Z rims for some 13'' Toyota corolla wheels & tires. They look kinda cool & i shot black primer on the driver side just for kicks till i get the body done. It looks better, since I ''was'' driving it. My auto trans went out today, so that's gonna be my next fix, and i think i'm gonna lower the front end while the car is down. No pun intended. Anyway, more updates to come.

• 2 weeks later...

quick question...

Every time i let this car sit for a day or two it drains the battery completely dead. I bought a brand new battery, thinking mine was bad, but it didn't help, so i basicly wasted my cash on a battery i didn't need.

The car still has the orignal type alternator and voltage regulator on it. There is no radio, so could it be a bad regulator draining the battery dead?

• 3 weeks later...

Update time... I got injured at work. I tore my left bicep from the bone and had to have surgery for it. OUCH!!!

Anyway, i couldn't let that keep a good Datto down, so i brought my son over to get it going again. He helped me finish up the transmission swap, replace a faulty neutral safety switch (car wouldn't start after trans. Swap) and we found that the choke was wired to a constant hot circuit, which seems to be the reason for the battery going dead all the time. Soooo... Now it's back on the road and it runs and drives great. Bonus ! My son is now hooked on these cars too!!! Pics. Will be coming soon to show what the car looks like now.

oh yeah, gonna drop the front next. Getting the car back on the road was the first priority, since this is the only car i own with an automatic transmission and it's a pain in the ass to drive a stick with just one arm.

OIC TIME!!!!

this first shot is of my son Kriss, he too is now addicted to these little cars. He make's my dime look even smaller than it is... lol

krissthedatto-1.jpg

This is a couple pics of me sanding the passenger side, so I can primer it to match the drivers side... I'm suppose to be on bed rest, but it was killing me to just sit there and look at the car, so I'm working on pain killers with one good arm for now...

onearmsandingmydoor.jpg

onearmsandingmyfender.jpg

Last, but not least, here is a photo of the car "striking a pose" at the local K-Mart parking lot. I had to drive it up there for more black primer, so I thought it was a good time to snap a quick pic.

strikingaposeaKmart.jpg

Oh yeah, the wheels in these pics are the Toyota Corrolla wheels. I'm gonna paint them up too and put beauty rings on em. I think they look pretty decent for now. :cool:

Well after a day of "one arm sanding" I got the passenger side primered. :D

Is it "RATSUN" style yet? I'm really glad I saved this car, it's a blast to drive. I put over 200 miles on it this past weekend and it ran great. B)

passengersideprimered.jpg

Nope, his mom just wanted to spell it a little different.

Sorry to hear about your spine. That sounds pretty serious.

I'm planning to drive this car to the JCCS this year. 2500 miles or so each way, but i've got a lot of work to do to it first. Maybe i'll get farthest driven award. Lol