CopyDat's CA18 520 '68

yeah mate - that is the plan. Currently it is sitting in bare metal under plastic and tarp and blankets and shit. Out in the elements, so at Chrissy I'm going to wire wheel, sand the flash rusting back and paint it as is - flat black. Then leave it in storage at my old girls until a time when I can take my welder up there and start hitting it bit by bit, like you say.

The locker man - I got it off a champion on here, Stephane - don't know his user name but he is a champ! This thing is NOS made in Jul 1981.... OG gangster shit. (I'm so ghey) I got it for 490 clams plus a 20 for freight and fees. Dead set legend. Shipped from the states and arrived today. I'm so stoked with it. Love NOS stuff.

Pics are coming man - I gotta fly down to blardy Melbs to get the thing yet! I've pulled the trigger tho, so lock it in. Geordie owns a 520!! I still don't believe it myself.

I'm so glad I can come on here and admit the stupid things I do in the 'real world' and not be judged for it!

:D

HAHAHA

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - so this is the 520 in it's current state. I haven't picked it up yet. dry.gif

KGrHqIOKpcE5k7N7jBDBOfQICWkZg60_3.jpg

KGrHqEOKpQE5U8m2n9BOfPsNIfg60_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKpIE5W19tj-BOfPyvCuWg60_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKpkE5ceQGk0BOfP8G6khQ60_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKjYE5qmUm627BOfQKYjlkg60_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKpQE5VDw0whSBOfQCufpvQ60_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKooE5j8ZwjHBOfQUgkZw60_3.jpg

KGrHqYOKiQE5FLl154BOfQuQMB60_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKnUE53D9Tk52BOfQG8YCcg60_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKkEE5YRUSB-BOfQOPpytw60_3.jpg

I reckon there would be a few on here that would like it as is - with 'topper' and spotties etc etc.

Plan is to just strip it back to a ute - reindex torsions and blocks to about the stance that Bart Taylor's Gertude sits.

Can't wait to get it up here. I'll probably end up putting my CA in this unless it is just super sweet to cruise in as is. We shall see. Summer is coming up and I can imagine a few trips to the beach is on the cards.

:D

awesome! looks great man, a dcoe i see! (maybe, looks like one anyway heh) they sound great

those wheels are killer, more low with em will be hard though, 620's wheels will fit good though

i like the canopy :D the nudge bar gets in the way of that good looking front end though hey

where in melbourne is it? if its metro (ie not out in the sticks someplace) and you want to pick it up during the day i might be able to give you a lift down to where it is if transport is going to cost you. or if youve got time maybe just meet up some place anywho

yeah man I'm so pumped to get the thing. Been without a ute for too long.

Not sure about the carb huh, that's why I didn't say.....

The wheels have all been 'set-up' apparently to take the bigger radials, offsets etc. He had to get the next size smaller for some reason, think they stopped making the ones he used to get for it. I'll prolly end up putting the cheese cutters on off my 620 at some stage. (maybe when the locker and CA are in ;) )

For now just use and enjoy it.

It is up north mate - in Kilmore. I've already got a lift out from the airport but thanks for the offer mate. I'd love to meet up but I'm already 1.5hrs into my trip home by the time I pick it up. I'll come down for a cruise or maybe to see the motoGP...

Here is hoping.

• 1 month later...

ok - update time!

Been so long. So glad I'm on Uni holidays, got a trip to Thailand coming up (which I'm going to get a fuckton of Datsun parts and bring them back) and with daylight savings and warm afternoons until 8pm I'm free to work on the Dat. For me, it doesn't get much sweeter than this.

So the 520.... don't know if I should start another thread. I don't reckon. After shedding some weight which was a mission in itself, the L18 (not L20, like first thought) has blossomed! Took it for a wrap last night just around my local streets and wanted to take some photo updates of it but the sunlight had gone and I only had my phone. It has so much more poke and sting now with all the extra weight gone! Things that are now gone include, canopy, rollbar, nudge bar, toe bar..... all up probably close to if not more that 200kgs stripped off.

Getting the canopy off as you can see took some heavy duty tools. (tyre levers and a forklift). The rear window from the cab to the canopy was a custom made slider, getting this out was the hardest part. We ended up having to smash it out as the glass was the last thing holding it in there. It was a screw on alloy frame and the original window and rubber went in like a charm. Still needs a good clean and a new rubber which I'm hoping to get from Thailand.

So Mad Max style with the rollbar on it! Just need a flame thrower mounted to it!

:P

52o.jpg

52o_.jpg

That ain't me BTW - that is old mate who still has my 620 rusting away in his yard..!

nudge-1.jpg

52o_1.jpg

Sorry for the weird size images - I've been trying to sell the rollbar, spot lights etc.

So I'm having major troubles with the wheels on this thing, they are like custom modified 4x4 wheels. They don't make rubber for them anymore unless I go to Vintage Rubber and pay a fortune for them. The front right has a damaged bead on the sidewall due to some numb nut not realising that you have to reverse mount and unmount these tyres off this type of rim and they ripped the bead! So it has a leak under 45 psi! So I'm running huge pressures just to keep the tyres on the truck. I really need to get the offsets and shit off the rims because my 620 stockers wouldn't clear the calipers, even with spacers. I like having fats up front, especially if I'm going to get some bolt on flares (otherwise they will look dickie). But wheel and tyre choice at the moment is killing me. I've got other issues to focus on now anyways, finish building the CA - I'm going coilovers definitely front and possibly 4-link coils in the back (pending coin). For now I'm just going to drive it until the VIC rego runs out and then do the engine swap. But last night taking it out and giving it a squirt was awesome! Reminded me of the times I used to scrub in new tyres on my motorcycles. Had a big grin on my face when I got home from such a short drive.

Anyway, I'm going to take some photos of it today and post them up after this.

Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Update.

Current pics of the 520 are below. Rides tons better, even tho the struts are absolutely fubar and I just did a 400km round trip to my old girls for Christmas and the roads in the hunter valley are shocking. Twice the headlight fuse blew due to earthing wires bouncing around somewhere!!!

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Needed an air filter on the head and a 1 way valve to stop the idle rise under brakes. Found the valve off a Datsun 720 in a yard, freebies, gotta love that!

I did a recent trip to Thailand. I met up with 620green or otherwise known as Dett. He has had some pretty harsh reviews of his trading on here and I'm not going to go into it in my thread & I would appreciate it if others show restrain as well. I was lucky enough to have been taken to his house and see and purchase some parts and also have the local Nissan shop owner open his shop for me on a Sunday! Dett also took me around to a local Thailand Datsun shop which had some of the sickest Datsuns out the front I've ever seen.

Enjoy the pics.

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

I basically scored - rubbers, badges, locks, lenses and stuff for the 520. Got my buddy a full set of 510 rubbers for his Wags. Managed to get Icehouse a badge he was chasing. Had to get a suitcase to bring it home and I would reccommend getting there while there is still stuff left. Dett was a huge help and very generous with his time and local knowledge.

Looking to get my locker in the 520 diff this month, finish assembly of the CA and do some small 'fixes/repairs/ on the 520. The 620 is still under cover slowly rusting away I suspect.... I miss her. In saying that tho I'm loving driving the L18 in the 520. Need new tyres which are really hard to get that size up front. Need to do some research.

• Like 1

I couldn't ask too many questions as we didn't communicate well enough. Believe it or not those rims had a side dish depth I've never seen before. It was the depth of my fingers from the outer wall which was just about 3 inches of dish! All the Thai guys know how to run huge tracks & can modify anything. Helps when there isn't as much road regulation like in AUS & US.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

CA assembly has commenced - so stoked. Forgies! Yeew. It actually looks like an engine now. Slowly but surely I will have CA18DET power.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

These are my buddies who have built a couple of engines before - so good to have them on board helping me as I know not much, but I'm learning!

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

mmmm Fresh!

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

• Like 1

What compression ratio do you have with those pistons? Usually on turbo builds people run dished pistons, you can run a higher comp ratio but the tune has to be rock solid and run really good gas.

Honestly.... I don't know... All I noticed was that those forged pistons seemed to have like a mil clearance in the sleeve where the stockers were tight as. The acl pistons will expand due to being alloy where the stockers didn't. Regarding compression ratios tho I got no idea...sorry.

• Like 1