My Home Built Rear Coilovers

Gave it a go at building some rear coilovers. I just finished my front 280zx/coilovers and that went smooth but wanted that adjustability in the rear aswell.

I ordered some cheap ebay coilovers for a civic/integra or anything else really. got 2 sets(4 in all) for $40 shipped. Good start.

Rear monroe shocks from a camaro were $22 each and some exhaust pipe and washers were a few bucks.

So total I'm into these rear shocks about $70. I'm only counting half the dollar amout for the springs cause I got 4 for and used two for hte front. :)

Heres what I started with(plus about 8 inches of 2" exhaust pipe for eash side) This picture is one side worth of material.

002.jpg

8 inches of 2" exhaust pipe welded to a 1" washer. X2 of corse.

006.jpg

Test fit on shock(had to cut off the dust shield of corse)

012.jpg

025.jpg

Cut a 2I.D.X2O.D. reducer in half, and use the big half as a sleve for the coilover sleve to sit on.

014.jpg

017.jpg

Put together.

019.jpg

Install

023.jpg

DONE.

037.jpg

043.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, ordered 1991 camaro shocks. I heard anything from 82-02 but 1991 seemed to work. If the shock body itself were a little longer it wouldnt hurt. As-is its sitting maxed out on height because I couldnt get the collar any higher. If I would have welded a washer in the INSIDE of the 2" pipe instead of on top that would have allowed the threaded collar to be set heigher on the shock gaining about an inch of right height adjustability. but it works. With 15's and lower profile tires I'll be in buisness.

Those camaro shocks wouldnt work on a stock ride height 510, they are just to short. As it sits, the shock is almost at full extention. Not much left for wheel drop.

The reason for doing this instead of buying a "kit"? HELLO! $70 bucks vs. $600. Purely a budget move.

A few days earlier, I put the other two ebay springs and collars on my zx front struts. But you've all seen that before so didnt document. Wheres all the ground controll lovers/ebay haters?? :P With the huge price difference it seemed crazy NOT to try this. Hopefully I can drive it soon to test them out.:D

Yep, ordered 1991 camaro shocks. I heard anything from 82-02 but 1991 seemed to work. If the shock body itself were a little longer it wouldnt hurt. As-is its sitting maxed out on height because I couldnt get the collar any higher. If I would have welded a washer in the INSIDE of the 2" pipe instead of on top that would have allowed the threaded collar to be set heigher on the shock gaining about an inch of right height adjustability. but it works. With 15's and lower profile tires I'll be in buisness.

Those camaro shocks wouldnt work on a stock ride height 510, they are just to short. As it sits, the shock is almost at full extention. Not much left for wheel drop.

The reason for doing this instead of buying a "kit"? HELLO! $70 bucks vs. $600. Purely a budget move.

A few days earlier, I put the other two ebay springs and collars on my zx front struts. But you've all seen that before so didnt document. Wheres all the ground controll lovers/ebay haters?? :P With the huge price difference it seemed crazy NOT to try this. Hopefully I can drive it soon to test them out.:D

What is the length of the camaro shock? Total length compressed and all the way out? About how much shorter than a 510 strut?

I gotta say I cant take the credit for the main idea. This guys thread inspired me.

http://community.rat...__1#entry419354

yeah i caught that off ppk's main build thread, for his car... its a great idea, and he said they work pretty well (altho not as great as a $600 kit, but pretty close) and they are really cheap to do... ive thought about doing that to the front and rear of my 620 (using a 4 link).... but great idea, let us know how they do compared to stockers

cool write up.

However those springs are too stiff for those sensatrac shocks i bet.

+1

I'll bet you notice the rear bounces alot, due to the springs being overly stiff (look really similar to my springs which are 10k or ~560lb/in) and the shock not having enough rebound dampening. of course, with this design you can easily just take the whole assembly off and transfer it to another, better shock when you get around to it.

ALSO, MUY IMPORTANTO: get rid of those rubber top hats asap and find some metal ones!! Those rubber things suck total ass!

but at least I'm glad my write up went to good use and inspired someone to apply it to a different application!

P.S. oh and I have yet to drive or ride on the coilovers I built, my friend is still trying to build his car... needs to finish the engine and get tires haha

+1

I'll bet you notice the rear bounces alot, due to the springs being overly stiff (look really similar to my springs which are 10k or ~560lb/in) and the shock not having enough rebound dampening. of course, with this design you can easily just take the whole assembly off and transfer it to another, better shock when you get around to it.

I know the setup isnt ideal by any means. But it got my car low and looking good for now. It was all about the price.

ALSO, MUY IMPORTANTO: get rid of those rubber top hats asap and find some metal ones!! Those rubber things suck total ass!

I've read this a few of times and have yet to hear a real reason WHY. Maybe they don't last as long, but who cares. They cost a few bucks and I don't, and never will daily drive my 510. Not worried about the top hats at all...

but at least I'm glad my write up went to good use and inspired someone to apply it to a different application!

P.S. oh and I have yet to drive or ride on the coilovers I built, my friend is still trying to build his car... needs to finish the engine and get tires haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work. Not hating on you here, just a safety concern but is it just the photos or does those welds on the strut housings look like there was very poor penetration into the exhaust tubing?

EDIT: ...or maybe that is just flux (covering a better weld) from flux wire mig or stick? Looks awfully dark, so maybe that's the deal.

Nice work. Not hating on you here, just a safety concern but is it just the photos or does those welds on the strut housings look like there was very poor penetration into the exhaust tubing?

EDIT: ...or maybe that is just flux (covering a better weld) from flux wire mig or stick? Looks awfully dark, so maybe that's the deal.

It looks like plenty of penetration. You see the oxidation line created by the weld procedure its self. He did not clean it off with a wire brush.

Im sure we will find out if it does break!