my first datsun

dirtboy411

i am now a proud owner of a 1964 datsun pl411 bluebird sss. all original, bone stock. blue plates everything. im hoping i can switch the automatic tranny to a 4 speed manual but i dont know where to start. once i figure out how to get a few pics up i will be more than glad to share my new baby with everyone. it was a rare find indeed. especially in the condition it is in. needs new apolestry done to the seats and a lil cleaning to the motor but a beautiful car i have. has a roadster 1600 motor i believe is what i was told it has. any ideas on the tranny swap would be great. other than that im just gonna get it fully operational til i ripp it a new one. :)

ad772e1b.jpg

749179a7.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a 1964 datsun PL411 Bluebird then it's not a SSS Super Sport Sedan. If it were a Japanese Domestic Market car it might be a SS Sport Sedan which came with the J13 engine with Hitachi SU carburators. Most likely the engine and automatic transmission were swapped in, although I don't know how the exhaust was fabricated up. If the exhaust exits through the left front fender liner then it may well be a SSS [or a rebuilt wreck with a salvage title in its past] but not a 1964. Could this be a 1967 series with an ID plate from a 1964 PL411 or a wrecked PL411 with the transplanted front and subframe of a later RL411? Look on the fire wall above the fuse box and ignition coil and read the chassis number stamped there. Is it the same as the one on the ID plate. The ID plate also has the serial number of the original engine installed at the factory [forged plates excepted, and they do exist]. I would hate to think that it was a stolen vehicle with ID plate from an early vehicle glued on.

the exuast goes into the left fender. yes this is true. lol. it has all the emblems and that good stuff. i dont not believe its a fake. ive did some reseach on the car proir to getting it. its a real pl411 bluebird sss. with a roadster 1600 motor. i do have pics and trying to figure out how to upload from my iphone cus unfortunatley dont have a lap top or computer. soon ill have that takin care of though.

i remember seein this car on craigslist or something, u paid a pretty penny for it if i remember correctly. id say it is not a 64. can we have a oic of the rear to see tail lights. also a motor shot, and then oics of everything else lol :lol:

welcome to the 411 club and ratsun

hahaha yeah found her on craigslist about two months ago. the guy was kind enough to let me make payments on it since i was broke at the time. i had to have it. my father has a 64 510 datsun pickup shortbed. and does not wanna hand it down for me to restore. so i took things into my own hands. lol. but anyways. i could be wrong. hope im not and the car is legit with make and model. the articles ive read seem to match up but who knows. thats why im here right. new family. give me advice up for whatever. but either way its my first datsun and im never getting rid of it.

heres the rear end pic for you eric. it was to dark to get a motor pic. ill have one at the end of next week. stayin outta town for work.

9b8da67a.jpg

Yes, an RL411! Sold from late 1966 through 1968 as 1967 model, however late production could be designated 1968 model. By the way, watch out for the rust beginning to show in the rain gutter above the rear window. True to Italian form over function philosophy Pinin Farina designed the rain gutter so that the gutter is part of the body and the roof is spot welded smack in the middle of the rain gutter leaving a running seam the full length. It's sealed with panel sealant, but it does dry out and crack allowing water to get to the spot weld areas. Compounding the problem, the gutter has 2 low spots in the rear corner and no outlet drain holes. Rain puddles over the spot welds there.

Units sold from 1966 to 1968 - with automatic transmission,5325, with 4 on the floor 5235 for a total of 10,570. Wonder how many escaped the crusher!

thanks everyone for the info. helping out alot. im still gonna check the serial number and the id plate to make sure what it is. but like i said its my first datsun so either way whatever it is im keeping it and gonna make it look beautiful. hahaha. glad my pops told me bout this site. you guys are great. hahahaha

i am now a proud owner of a 1964 datsun pl411 bluebird sss. all original, bone stock. blue plates everything.

Congrats. If original, it's likely a 1967 RL411 as others have said. Neither the 411 nor the R16 engine were in production in 1964. The PL411 came with the J13 engine.

im hoping i can switch the automatic tranny to a 4 speed manual

4-speeds are cheap. Heck, Roadster folks give 'em away. You're also going to need the clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, etc.

Welcome to the Looney Bin.

Pete

The British Borg Warner automatic transmission is as bullet proof as any made. The only "problem" is adjusting the band adjuster on top of the case. It's a bear to get to without the Datsun special tool. A crowfoot adapter will do in a pinch, beats dropping the transmission cross member just to get to the adjuster and lock nut. The lower adjust is inside the case. Make the adjustments, install a new transmission filter and then see if you want to swap in a 4 speed. You will have to cut a hole in the tunnel and probably will want to pick up a new used top steering column without the BW gear indicator. Good luck, these are really great cars!

okay so im no mechanic nor have the experience to work on my motor and tranny. i need new fuel lines and brake lines in order to get my baby to work and run properly. i havent tried starting it yet either cus of that. dont want any bad shit going into my motor " like rust or any kind of debris" from the fuel lines. im all for tearing crap apart and figuring what needs what and where. but also possibly looking into having the motor rebuilt. just so i know its perfect. ima leave the tranmission alone for right now til i have everything i need for a swap. not gonna have it sitting for ever. it needs to be back on the road again. lol. but on that note. does anyone know of a good legit rebuild shop in so cal area, preferrably around inland empire. im not and refuse to have some illegals working on my car. my brother just blew his motor and then tranny months after gettin his crap 1990 honda crx worked on. mind you some illegal immigrant did the work. sorry if i affend anyone but its the truth. im willing to learn my damn self but working 10 to 12 hour shifts 2 hours away from home is quite a burn out. and mad overtime on weekends help put a few bucks towards that goal of getting it fully operational by the end of april for my birthday present to myself. :) then we all can get together some time and check out our cars in person than over the net. hahahaha

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Take a deep breath and wait a minute......

First you say it needs fuel lines and brake lines, then you want to have the engine rebuilt...correction...you want to -PAY- to have the engine rebuilt. The R16 is basic Engine 101. They don't get much simpler, but you're gonna pay more to have it rebuilt than a running one will cost.

Cleaning/replacing/flushing brake & fuel lines is a far cry from needing to rebuild an engine.

How about telling us the story on this vehicle before it becomes another torn-apart-never-to-run-again project?

Pete

hahaha sorry sorry. let me refrase what i was trying to say before i get bludgered to death with comments. the guy who i bought the car from said it runs. havent had a full check over the motor yet. i know probably jumping into things a lil soon. its been sitting for a lil over 3 years now til i got it. "DEEP BREATH" lol. long time for a car to be sitting not to mention how much longer it sat before he had it. im not the kind of person who is gonna tear something apart and let it goto waste. i will, have my word on this, get this car running and rolling. im setting my own deadline and id kick my own ass if i dont make it or atleast close to it. but anyways. umm the gas tank has been flushed of three inches of resin shit rust what not in it. and fuel / brake lines from what he has told me most likely need to be replaced or repaired. which id rather replace than repair a brakeline etc.. with atleast something compatitable to the origanals. motor wise correct me if this sounds stupid but i do want this to run faster than a damn honda. i hate those freakin cars. :/ everyone has one damn it. so when i said rebuilding the motor i was more leaning to have it bored and honed instead of swaping it with something id have to cut and chop to pieces. thats a big no no for me. i like my lil engine bay the way it is. :) just beff the motor up is all. thats why im here. HELP and advice is well worth it than tearing shit apart and not knowing anything. my father is a master mechanic but lives a pretty good distance from me and with that said im on my own in a way. i ride bikes for fun and build airplanes for a living out of composites. i can make a who damn 411 shell out of carbon fiber if i had the time and money. which one day might happen lmao. im just a broke ass kid finally coming up in this shithole economy.

Much better. Yes, if it's been sitting for 3+ plus years, draining and flushing the gas tank is mandatory.

I doubt the hard brake lines are available, so plan on mixing 'n' matching/fabricating though I'd just flush the hell out of 'em first. Roadster or 521 flex lines should fit, just double-check whether you have SAE or metric.

The R16 was mainly used in the roadster only. Lots of information on 311s.org, but your only real option is to stroke it to 2-litres like many are doing (me, too, eventually). Torquey bastard, but not a high rpm motor. Push rods and the head doesn't breathe like later Nissan engines. The stroker will be fun, but be realistic in your expectations.

Pete

thank you pete.

umm with stroking the motor and the disadvantages of it having lower rpms can regearing it solve a lil of that problem in the end or no. im not looking to go 200mph lol. just wanna get a lil sideways and have some fun. im looking as a daily driver as well for a lil while. goal is to save for a 04 subie sti. and the 411 be my garage kept baby and bring it out when it matters kinda thing at car meets and stuff like that.

After flushing the gas tank and cleaning or replacing the hard gas lines you will find that the original glass bowl and rag bag filter are your friends. Any crud or water will be trapped and readily visible in the bowl and can be dumped as often as required. If the bag looks like crud is building up on it, rinse and reinstall. I doubt you will have to brush with an old toothbrush, but go ahead if necessary. The bag is made of a durable fabric that serves as an excellent moisture barrier.

thank you mike. im taking it that this isnt vary hard to do. i cant wait to start working on my car. my bro is taking up the tent with his 52 willys coupe in the shop. dammmnnnn itttt. lol. but its all good. the more i wait the more money ill have saved to spend on the right parts and fluids. is there any special oils or lubes i should be using with this old of a motor and hoses. dont wanna throw some cheap crap down the pipes you know. i wanna the car to run like it came off the lot 45 years ago. :) maybe even better.

i have some stock sss brake lines for the engine bay where they are different. if u need em id be willing to sell em. also i live pretty close to u and was actually in san berdo today, if u ever want a lil help with ur car i have actually completely dismantled a 411 wagon sss so im pretty familiar with how they are put together and im willing to help out. i also have some extra parts if u find u need anything. car looks good keep us updated.