electric fans

steve g

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been contemplating the same thing for a while.....actually :)

I have a single twelve inch.....probably not use it and find some duals.

My problem is......I have to replace my 720 rad with a L20B and or upgrade facsimile.

Upper engine/rad connection has now switched sides for an LZ

Shall be to visiting the locale wreckers this week

Just say 'no' to electric fans. The stock fan works ultra-reliable. Aftermarket electric fans can work OK, but often have problems.

Hopefully someone can give the part numbers for a proven setup.

I always believed in clutch fans....

I drove my truck without a fan and noticed a big difference in power (with 33s i need all i can get) Plus i exploded a fan in my 720 at 5500rpm once and im noticing stress cracks starting on my current one. All the new cars have electric and i think its time i switch over

• 2 weeks later...

I had 2 procomp 11" fans on mine before I bought the new engine. They worked really good at keeping it cool. I took off the radiator fan on mine because it was stuck on and would make a jet sound in high rpm's, plus had loss of power in the high rpm's. I put 2 peices of angle iron (one at the top of the radiator and one at the bottom) and drilled holes through them and the outside flange on my radiator. It was very sturdy and cooled very well and I had no problem with the fans or brackets.

I still have the setup in the back room at my house with the fans and angle iron if you wanna see pictures, but itll be a week or two cuz im stuck at college haha.

let me know if you need more info

Electric fans are never on until the motor is at least at operating temp.

Vehicle speed above 25 MPH will force enough air through the rad without the need for a fan.

Most steady speed around town will not need a fan.

Idling long enough will require a fan.

Climbing a steep grade at mid range speed or 4x4ing in low range and reduced speed may require additional fan cooling.

So as you can see the electric fan is there mostly for the ride and only needed as a back up when idling long enough.

My Sundance only ever comes on when idling. In the winter when idling with the heater on, enough heat is removed that the fan does not come on.

Kind of makes the 'on all the time' clutch fans almost redundant. Electric fans are the best idea, they are only on when needed. (if at all)

• 3 years later...

Driving will also push air through and around the rad. New cars with electric fans never come on except at long stop lights and stop and go traffic. Once you get to 25-30 (on level ground) vehicle motion is enough to cool the rads. They save some small amount of energy and they are quiet when off.

You can simply remove the plastic blades. If you need the room for the fan you can cut the clutch part off but stay at least 1/8" away from the pressed on pulley.

Some S12 200sx and S13 lower rad hoses have a temp sensor switch mounted in them. This can be used to rum the fan directly I believe or a relay to switch the fan on.

therm02.jpg

Just cut an inch and a half out of your lower rad hose and clamp it in.

therm01.jpg

I run electric fans on mine. Got them off of ebay. I prefer them to the clutch fan, truck warms up faster, way more room to work under the hood, and it looks cleaner. Like mike said, they hardly ever come on when driving. Mostly just sitting at lights or idling. I also have them wired up to my A/C switch so I can manually turn them on. 

A good stock electric fan to look at if your going to go the junkyard route is the electric fans from the ford taurus or the mark IIIV  both use a really strong motor with two speeds, its been proven in the 240sx world plenty of times to be a great and cheap alternative to the name brand aftermarket fans as it flow just as much if not more CFMs than they do. and it fits using the existing shroud from the taurus.  just food for thought do some google searches to find out more info.

• Like 1