Matt's 521

thisismatt

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diagnosed the non-working left blinker as the switch, so I pulled apart the whole assembly and went about repairing the switch. Dissected the switch to find the contacts old and burnt, so I cleaned them up and put Noalox on every contact surface, but when bending the tabs back on the back of the switch the crappy old bakelite material broke, so that switch was fubar. I salvaged the switch from my non-op 510 and it had the same poor contact problem, so I dissected it as well and was more careful reassembling it. I degreased the whole turn signal assembly, regreased it, and put Noalox on the blinker switch surfaces, high beam switch surfaces, and all the electrical mating surfaces for the horn.

I then diagnosed the non-working horns to find the horn relay non-op, so I'll be swapping it out for a new high amp hella relay if it ever stops raining.

Got everything working on Sunday. Now I think I need to install an enable/disable switch for the horn, since I keep hitting it while flipping u-turns and parallel parking :blush:

As of this afternoon, it's officially a California truck. Bummer they wouldn't let me keep the Oregon plates.

• 2 weeks later...

If your gas gauge and temperature gauge start going bonkers, it could be your voltage regulator. Both gauges are denpendent on a particular voltage range.

There is a voltage regulator on the back of the printed circuit board that controls the voltage to the temp, and gas gauge.

GaugeVoltReg.jpg

Do not confuse it with the voltage regulator under the hood for the alternator.

thats some really good info!! thanks!!! I am having those issues!

And not sure what's up with this issue, whether it's bent hinges, or did the 520 and 521 have different tailgates? The tailgate has obviously been dropped without the chains and slammed into the bumper, but the back reinforcement members are still perfectly straight, so I don't know why it's sticking out like this at the bottom, unless there were different tailgates or different hinges...?

P1000198.jpg

P1000199.jpg

Ratty...

P1000200.jpg

P1000201.jpg

• Like 1

Ours doesn't sit flush at the base to the bed either, but it doesn't seem quite as bad as yours. I'm unsure if ours is the original to our truck though. But, here's a pic of how ours sits at the base and one of the hinges for some references for you.

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing, but would be careful of beating them down too much, as it might misalign the latches.

Thanks for the pics! Very helpful. The passenger side is a bit worse because there is a spot weld or two that is separated on the lower tailgate skin, so it sticks out an extra 1/16th or so at the moment. I'd still like to find a better condition tailgate, and then I'll see about maybe bending the hinges. Thanks again for the pics!
  • Like 1