Matt's 521

thisismatt

Just picked up this 521 this weekend from h2theizzo. Drove it from Seaside, OR (West of Portland) down to Santa Barbara, CA - a bit over 1,000 miles. Other than a few hiccups it made the drive fine. Even changed the oil in the middle of a walmart parking lot tongue.gif Overall it's in great shape, just needs a few things here and there. Right now I'm looking to retrofit a new fuel filler hose/neck, and I need tailgate hinge pins. Does anyone have a good picture showing them installed? Anyone have some for sale? I'll maybe just get some stainless socket head cap screws if that'll work just as well. Also, any ideas for a fuel filler neck would be cool.

Ohhhh, and I need to do something about the seat. Mainly, I need something that is lower to the floor...gonna have to see what my options are, though I'd like to keep it a bench seat.

I haven't taken any new pictures so this will have to suffice for now:
IMG_20101230_125102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nicee!!! Congrats. I really like that truck. What's your plan with it?

The plan is to keep it on the road, unlike my 510! :blush: Going to clean up the electrical and get the fuel hose situation resolved, maybe rebuild the dogleg I got with it and put that in so I don't have to wind it out on the freeway. Once I get my VQ running it might find its way into the 521 instead of the 510 :lol:
  • Like 1

Are those bumperettes I spot? Damn, I want a set!:angry:

no...doesn't have stock rear bumpers, just a square tube bumper, but it seems well built and I'm fine with it.

I just noticed as I was walking in from work that there's at least some bondo on the back right corner of the bed. Boooooooooooo :mellow:

• Like 1

What the hell Mat! I didn't take you for a truck guy.... You must have got the sickness as well. Before you know it the whole yard will be full :)

Nice score dude! 3" blocks and re-index the torsion bars and she will be perfect!

• Like 1

I'm gonna keep it stock height for the time. I kinda like em stock height. We'll see. Yeah...my landlord already gave me some passive aggressive crap about hoping the neighbors don't complain about all the vehicles on the street... :lol: Fug em, though. Everyone and their mom parks here to walk to work around the corner.

• Like 1

I'd be very interested to hear of your solution to the filler neck. I haven't been able to fill my tank for about 8 months. No biggie, but I'm starting to miss driving the 521.

Well, I replaced it yesterday with some straight hose. The stock hose really doesn't have that much bend to it...the straight hose is kinked a little, but not totally collapsed. We'll see what happens. If it collapses too much, or if I get around to it, I'll probably get a piece of pipe bent to the correct angle and use it as a coupling. I haven't been able to find any molded hoses that would work, since nothing seems to be as big in diameter on newer vehicles (2-1/4"). There's actually a hose on the front tank on my F250 work truck that looks like it could work, but it's a utility bed and I assume the hose is custom to that particular bed as I haven't been able to find a replacement for that one.
  • Like 1

gas gauge went bonkers, and one of the valve nuts came loose on the way, but still made it :D

I didn't say it made it without complications...just made it. Even if it limped in, I'd be stoked on that.

When I bought my truck, I had no idea of the history on it. Owner said it needed the brakes adjusted, and that everything else worked. Silly me...I took his word for it. Had to pump the brakes 3 times to get them to hold.1/2" from the floor. I drove 130 miles home in the snow and dark. Scariest ride ever.

This truck making it 1000 miles makes me a bit more comfortable to drive mine to Portland next week(240 miles.)

Cheers on an awesome, clean truck. Can't wait to see where/how this thing ends up.

• Like 1

Matt, glad to see you made it back ok with that BADASS truck!!!

Thanks Cody! Sorry that I couldn't make it by. I didn't get into Redding until about 2am, and then I noticed some valve tick and decided to change the oil in a Walmart parking lot :lol: That, combined with the loss of an hour to DST, meant there was no way I could make it out to your place before you went to work. I didn't get home til about 1am Sunday night as well.

• Like 1