How to repair and upgrade 620 wiper arm assembly

motavated

The 620 wiper arm assembly has plastic parts that get fragile with time.

IMG_8568.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

It sucks when they get brittle and break.

IMG_8578.jpg

You go to the junkyard and the junk yard parts are also worn down. WHAT CAN YOU DO? No new parts?!

This is the solution! Datsun 510 parts!

IMG_8570.jpg

These are from a 1970 Datsun 510 and are made out of pot metal.

But do they fit? NO! They are shorter.

IMG_8571.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

So what is it needed to be used on a 620? A spacer!

IMG_8573.jpg

SEE! It fits!

IMG_8577-1.jpg

Any questions?

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this idea from a 620 in the yard. The previous owner must of done this mod when his wipers broke. But what part did he use? Lucky there was a 510 4 door in the yard. The parts were the same! So now with my research I pass the info down to you to keep your 620's/Datsun's running and alive... REUSE REDUCE RECYCLE!

the later model 620's also use the pot metal style pivots. And you still have to use the spacer to make them work, or change all of the linkage and the motor so it all matches. Yes, the motor is different on the later 620's, but i do not know what year the change was made.

• Like 1

Should the washer be nylon? Or a pair of thinner nylon washers? Just so there is a reduction in potential friction from wear on the metal washer?

BTW, love this idea. My 610 had one broken one, and I was lucky to find a pair of pivots at the yard.

• 3 weeks later...

Should the washer be nylon? Or a pair of thinner nylon washers? Just so there is a reduction in potential friction from wear on the metal washer?

BTW, love this idea. My 610 had one broken one, and I was lucky to find a pair of pivots at the yard.

A nylon washer would probably be the best to use, but i used a metal one and have had no problems yet. But, the nylon washer idea never even crossed my mind until it was mentioned here. I did grease mine quite well though.

• 5 months later...

What all is within that pot metal pivot? My 521 has a lazy wiper arm where I can rotate the arm about 1/4 of the windshield, but the linkage inside the cab doesn't move. I know the arm is engaging on the splines because I can see the shaft move on the outside, just not the inside... It's making it so that the arm doesn't extend it's full reach unless if I want the arm to rest half way on the windshield when not in use...

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead...

• 3 years later...

I'm back to this thread again.

I was going to repair my busted plastic pivots (one has two ears broken off, the other 2 broken off studs.)

But frankly, if I could find some used ones - metal or plastic, I'd go with that to save time.

So I'm hearing the following options:

• 77 620 and later used pot metal.
  • 510 used metal
  • 720 will fit (metal?)  EDIT:  thought someone in this thread said they fit - but it's not this thread(!)!

Are there others?

Here near Pittsburgh, there is NOTHING in the junk yards.  So for me to find these parts its going to have to be Classifieds here or eBay. 

As far as repairing the broken ears, I was thinking to hold them in place with Super Glue, then lay the pivot in a flat surface (w/hole) and build a 3/8" tall "moat" 1/4" away from the perimeter of the plastic and then fill with JB Weld.  This would make a big epoxy block around the plastic flange.  I could even cut a steel plate to lay on the top of the epoxy to completely reinforce it

Naaaaa.....

Studs have to be bolts through the plate so that they hole the whole sandwich together.

I really don't want to do this..... (unavailable Banging Head Against Brick Wall emoticon)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...